• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tippy When Stopping

swall

I've owned my R1200R for 2000 miles now, and it does have one little slow speed handling qirk. When coming to a stop everything is smooth and steady, except for the last six feet or so. I am just about stopped and go to plant my left foot when suddenly the bike will want to fall to the right. As this is my first Telever, I am hypothesizing that the feedback provided (no dive) is confusing my 40 years of reactions from riding bikes with telescopic front forks. Anyone else noticed this little quirk?

I've noticed this on my R1200RT as well. My solution is to use only the handlebar brake lever and to make certain my right foot is down as well as the left. With the RT's integrated brakes, this applies the rear brake and provides automatic F/R proportioning. But you may have to be a bit more careful on your R - although I suspect that gentle braking for the final few feet may allow you to use only the front brake safely.
Tom

The telelever (likely) has nothing to do with it. if so, you will adjust over time.
More likely- consider this: why will any bike fall to the right (or left) at a stop? Correct, because the bars are turned in that direction. So- why are the bars turned one way or another? likely you are looking in that direction, possibly in anticpation of taking off, possibly looking for traffic coming at you from that side, etc. Or possibly, you are just looking down. Another option is that as you complete your braking you actually are squeezing/pulling with your entire forearm, rather than just the fingers of your right hand.
i most seriously doubt it has anything to do with the bike, and everything to do with the operator. Give a close look at your technique- i suspect you will find the answer.

But this only happens on my R1200R. Not my other 3 riders--Airhead RS, Honda 750 four and a Suzuki DR 650. When I rode the R1200R home from the dealer (180 mile trip), my buddy was following me in my Jeep and saw me do it. He assumed I was just tired.

I have just over 8,500 miles on my R1200R now - and can't say I've noticed this. I do use primarily the front lever for braking, but will switch to the foot brake if I'm stuck at a light.

I suspect it's something you're doing - not the bike.. (you're not rev'ing it as you stop right? Engine torque on increasing revs tends to twist it a bit to the right..)

(you're not rev'ing it as you stop right? Engine torque on increasing revs tends to twist it a bit to the right..)
The effect on the 1200s is much less pronounced than even my R60/2, because of the counter rotating counterbalancer.

I don't notice any difference at all when coming to a stop with my R1200ST, vs. previous bikes (R1150RS, R1100RS, R80, R90S, R65, etc. and so forth...)

The effect on the 1200s is much less pronounced than even my R60/2, because of the counter rotating counterbalancer.

I don't notice any difference at all when coming to a stop with my R1200ST, vs. previous bikes (R1150RS, R1100RS, R80, R90S, R65, etc. and so forth...)
Indeed - it's less, but still there, I suspect the counterbalancer does cancel out most of the actual engine effect, but the alternator is still turning the same way as the engine and probably still induces some torque effect.

I agree...not the Telelever

Never noticed it on my 12GS or my GFs R1150R. Nothing but clean and easy braking. Maybe check wheel balance, uneven brake pad wear and rotor condition, tire wear, brake lines, etc... Hmm???:blush

Me neither, after 7,500 miles.

(Well, I did stop on a left slope, and as it tipped beyond the reach of my 29-inch left leg, I jumped clear.)

Fred
'07 R1200R

If you're sitting still and start the engine (or rev it), you will notice a tendency for the bike to tip to the right. This is a Newton thing (as in Isaac). Are you revving the engine just a tad (e.g. Harlyesque) as you come to a stop?

This phenomenon won't be noticed on a bike with a transverse mounted engine, but you will notice transverse engines to be a little less willing to lean at high engine speeds (again, Newton thing).

My dealer told me I would recognize the torque during low speed manuevers and throttle changes, but I don't notice it. Then again, the front wheel usually stays on the ground when I'm riding!

Back