Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need ideas for 3 days of riding in Utah in September.

DEANCOX

I need ideas for 3 days of riding in Utah in September.

I posted a few months back about this, but my location has changed.

I am going to Utah to ride the week of Sept. 17. I am coming from LA and meeting a friend who is coming from Loveland, CO. The area in Utah where the 15 and 70 meet is approximately 1/2 way between us. We will have 3 days for riding in the area. We can camp or motel stay. I am riding a K75 and he is riding a Suzuki Cavalcade.

How would you use 3 days of riding in Utah at that time of year?

Is this a good area to stage day rides from? Where should we go to see good stuff? Should we make a loop and see the state's cool areas.
    ? Or..........?

Thanks in advance!

i really enjoyed riding US40 east of salt lake city a few years back.

this is the time of year when you start having to watch the temps in the higher elevations.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

12 - grand escalante, is a MUST
    Burr Trail (but turn right at the T - it's gravel for a stretch but well traveled)
    14 up and over from 89 towards Cedar City is nice (neat view of Zion from the top)
    North Rim of the grand canyon is a must
    24 east from Torrey is nice
    Cafe Diablo in Torrey is a GREAT restaurant (not cheap) if it's open
    72 south from 70 to Loa was called "sweeper madness" by one friend
    The roads west of Moab into the canyonlands have some freakishly gorgeous vistas, IIRC

And then there are the parks. Bryce might be my favorite for hiking.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    12 - grand escalante, is a MUST
    Yes. Escalante Outfitters on the 12 has nice camping or a bunch of really cool, reasonablly priced cabins you can stay at.

If you go into Moab (Arches National Park) be sure to go to the Moab Diner, order anything on the menu, and ask to have it smothered (chili verde sauce). You're welcome in advance.

I agree with everything else that's been said. In addition, I would suggest the following:

Red Canyon

Zion.

Asphalt snakes. In California, these are like glue. In Utah, as it turns out, they are like axle grease. Be advised: tread lightly.

Escalante Outfitters

Hwy 12.

Again, I say, Hwy 12.

GREAT breakfast just outside of Escalante. Pricey and gourmet and worth every penny.

A trip to Arches National Park is worth it, just to see this formation alone. Heh, heh, he said, "formation."

If you get down to Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods is worth seeing, especially if you're a fan of old westerns.

I would tell you to enjoy your trip, but I know that you will.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Yes. Escalante Outfitters on the 12 has nice camping or a bunch of really cool, reasonablly priced cabins you can stay at.

If you go into Moab (Arches National Park) be sure to go to the Moab Diner, order anything on the menu, and ask to have it smothered (chili verde sauce). You're welcome in advance.

Again, I say, Hwy 12.

GREAT breakfast just outside of Escalante. Pricey and gourmet and worth every penny.
    I believe Hell's Backbone Grill is in Boulder on Route 12. Since all of Boulder is about two blocks, it's not hard to spot. About a block south of Hells Backbone if you make a left on to Burr Trail you will also find this family owned breakfast spot as well.

Long story, but this family gave up being Mormons and because of that, the town won't let them put up a sign for their restaurant on Route 12. Instead there is a little arrow stuck on a wooden fence that says "Restaurant" on it. I was sent here by locals a couple of years ago and had a great breakfast. More of a bacon and eggs place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RTRandy; 08-24-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville is absolutly breathtaking with perfect road surface and no traffic.! Hwy 24 going west through Torrey and Route 12 as already mentioned is a winner. If you motel it in Torrey, Comfort Inn is new and clean plus you can park your bike right outside your door.

Don't rule out the Grand Canyon just over the border. If you've never seen it, the north end is spectacular. The road that leads to it is a federal Highway and is as smooth as glass with tons of sweepers. Take Alt 89 south from Kanab to Jacobs Lake and pick up 67 which only goes to the Grand Canyon north rim.

If you end up in Moab, Hwy 128 just north of town is incredible! One of my absolute favorites. It follows this beautiful river the whole way.

You might want to remember Randy's rule for Utah: If you see gas, buy it.

Let us know how it went once you get back.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by deancox View Post
    I posted a few months back about this, but my location has changed.

I am going to Utah to ride the week of Sept. 17. I am coming from LA and meeting a friend who is coming from Loveland, CO. The area in Utah where the 15 and 70 meet is approximately 1/2 way between us. We will have 3 days for riding in the area. We can camp or motel stay. I am riding a K75 and he is riding a Suzuki Cavalcade.

How would you use 3 days of riding in Utah at that time of year?

Is this a good area to stage day rides from? Where should we go to see good stuff? Should we make a loop and see the state's cool areas.
    ? Or..........?

Thanks in advance!

What has been suggested already, is phenominal and the riding a blast . Have fun and indeed be aware of the tarsnakes.

PS: I "hate" you now, as I want to go there again too....
    Last edited by riderR1150GSAdv; 08-25-2007 at 01:46 AM.

JWHITE518
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville is absolutly breathtaking with perfect road surface and no traffic.! Hwy 24 going west through Torrey and Route 12 as already mentioned is a winner. If you motel it in Torrey, Comfort Inn is new and clean plus you can park your bike right outside your door.

Don't rule out the Grand Canyon just over the border. If you've never seen it, the north end is spectacular. The road that leads to it is a federal Highway and is as smooth as glass with tons of sweepers. Take Alt 89 south from Kanab to Jacobs Lake and pick up 67 which only goes to the Grand Canyon north rim.

If you end up in Moab, Hwy 128 just north of town is incredible! One of my absolute favorites. It follows this beautiful river the whole way.

You might want to remember Randy's rule for Utah: If you see gas, buy it.

Let us know how it went once you get back.
    + a million on this post. My trip on 95 was really memorable. 24 east of Torrey is gorgeous and fun, but watch the tar snakes. And 12 of course, it's been said and it's true.

I'll add, don't bother with any motels in the town of Escalante. Dumpy and Dumpier.

See if you can visit Bryce NP. It's not a drive-through thing. Get out and hike a bit.

I love motorcycling in Utah. It truly is God's country.

Arches, Zion, Bryce, roads in between.

Hit Arches at dawn.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Dawn, DAWN
    Do you know what time of day that is ?
    Wait and go at sunset, it will look like this.
    Last edited by widebmw; 02-26-2008 at 08:14 PM.

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite518 View Post
    I love motorcycling in Utah. It truly is God's country.

I was lucky enough to grow up there, so I know. The good news, Dean, is that 80% of the GREAT Utah riding is South and East of your meeting spot. The other 20% is fantastic, but there are a lot of straight roads to get there.

Coming from LA, forget the 15. Head toward Zion after Washington and meet your pal at the crossroads of Hwy 12 and US 89. Take a trip up to Panguitch lake and stay your first night in the Horizon Motel (friend of BMW and site of the Red Rock Rally) in Panguitch. You can hardly take a BAD road from there, but the great ones are already mentioned.

Other "tips": Parry Inn in Kanab, where movie stars used to stay when filming the John Ford westerns.
    Kolob Resevoir, off I-15. You can take the road north, from somewhere around Virgin, or South from just south of Cedar City. "Kolob Road"
    All three roads between I-15 and Panguitch are PHENOMENAL, as is the road from one UT 14 to UT 143 through Cedar Breaks, if it's open, and the "Mammoth Cave" road if it's not.
    And finally, all the stuff in exteme SW Utah is great, but more for scenery than riding.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post

A trip to Arches National Park is worth it, just to see this formation alone. Heh, heh, he said, "formation."
    If you're going to show off Utah body parts, might as well keep it fair and balanced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Podzo

Perfect recommendations

All are great ideas: 1. Moab area with Arches and Canyonlands through in Slick Rock and Deadhorse State Park. 2. Senic byways Utah 12 and 24 connecting to Bryce and Zion through in Red Canyon all great. 3. Southeast Utah with the Ferry across Lake Powell, Natural Bridge Mon., Moki Dugway etc,. Too many cool places but 3 days would be fun for the whole southern Utah. Enjoy.

gpodzo
    R1200RT
    R1150GS
    XR650L (White Rim Trail Machine)

I'm not sure if you're more interested in roads or sights, but my brother-out-law and I had four days to spend in Utah last August, and we can highly recommend Zion and Bryce. I don't know how the roads we took from SLC down there and back rate, but they weren't too bad.
    These photos don't near do it justice.

Looking out from the weeping Wall in Zion, where 10,000 year-old water seeps out from a cliff face.

The Hoodoos in Bryce:

The route we took:

Story, video, and more photos here, if you're interested:
    http://tnastravels.blogspot.com/2006_09_17_archive.html
    Last edited by nospamsatx; 08-26-2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: fixed bad links.
    Timba
    "You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."
    ~ Charles Buxton
    TnA's travels

DEANCOX
    This is great stuff everyone! I will post what we intend to do and the the actual results.

THANK YOU.