Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 9/29

SNC1923

Photo Assignment: Weekend 9/29

Sorry to be getting this to you late. I've been suffering all manner of computer gremlins and found myself completely locked out of the site for the last 24 hours. Something to do with switching ISPs (against my will, I might add). But I digress. It's time for this week's photo challenge. As a reminder:

Here's the rules:

--Photos have to be shot this weekend, Fri, Sat, or Sun.
    --You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it)
    --No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software)
    --Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
    --Post your photos in this thread only. DO NOT start a thread in reply to this assignment.
    --Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo.
    --And, the most important rule - Have Fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

This week's theme: "Evolution."

As with the others, let this theme speak to you and interpret it in whatever way you can or wish. I don't have a particular photo skill in mind, but was impressed with last week's compositions. Lots of really nice stuff, as usual.

Got your camera Fire away!

REBECCAV
    Thanks for heading this up Tom. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures!

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Evolution?

Change in the inherited traits of a population from generation to generation.
    Natural selection
    Harley Engine

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Very cool.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

EVOLUTION...not taught here

What a great day to be out riding, and Eastern OH has a lot of really great roads.

Well, here goes at trying to submit a photo for you photo assignment. What I had in mind was to find a real small funamentalist Baptist Chuch...you know, the kind I see every other time I am out riding!!!...in a real woodsy type setting. Never found one this weekend, buy had a lot of fun riding back roads trying to find one.
    Should have gone down into KY.

Anyway...the title of my submittal is:

Faith Baptist Church
    near Morefield, OH
    off US 22

Need to get rid of the power lines!!!! I usually ride, take 2 secs to shoot the photo I am taking, and then ride more...but I spent a lot of time at this particular location and riding down side roads for some other church shots. I can never get the transition from what I see and feel at the moment...to what the photo turns out.

But, hey...I was out riding some really fun ( and new for me) roads and enjoying the great weather.

John F
    Cincinnati, OH

typos

My typing skills seem to be about as good as my photo skills.

"buy" is "but"
    and it should say "fundamentalist."

John F
    Cincinnati, OH

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    John, congratulations. Your third post and it made me laugh out loud. That's a new record.

No offense to any particular religious persuasions, it just tickled me.

SNC1923
    Well, time to keep it real.

I've been offering commentary for the past several weeks and not contributing my own photos, so this week I'll offer two. I chickened out last week because I didn't think they were good enough but have come to the conclusion that that's total BS. Time to fall on my sword.

Both of these photos leave a great deal to be desired, but that's the point isn't it? It's immensely difficult to post unedited images; almost everything I post is cropped, processed, color-corrected or instilled with some or other magic. I'll resist the temptation to offer commentary on my own photos and leave that in the very capable hands of others.

Zaca Evolution

Took a ride on Saturday out Cerra Noroeste Road for breakfast. Took Lockwood Valley Road home past the margins of the Zaca fire, which burned nearly one-quarter million acres. These yellow flowers offer a striking contrast to the devastated landscape.

Road Evolves, Ride Escalates

This is Klipstein Canyon Road, a spirited and often-missed shortcut to Cerra Noroeste from westbound Hwy 166. The road has deteriorated a great deal, cracked asphalt, strings of massive potholes, streams of sand, and all manner of hazards. What fun! It's closed to automobiles, but it's a fun GS road.

It may be of interest to note that I've embedded the exif data; just click on the photo to see it if you're interested.

Evolution of a season

Sunflowers pass from seed to flower to seed pod, a natural evolution. This was the one that was resisting! Shot in a sunflower field outside Kansas City MO this weekend on my Saturday morning "Cycle Therapy" ride. I was only using my point and shoot or would have worked on the depth of field.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

Here's my effort for the week. I went with the natural selection theme and found this spider floating on a pair of leaves in a stream. Who knows where he'll end up?

Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

REBECCAV
    evolution |ˌevəˈloō sh ən|
    The gradual development of something, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Evolution: the process of working out or developing

The Navy always had some kind of evolution going and lot of them were good things not to be around when volunteers were needed like for loading supplies or Holystoning a deck.

Got this shot of what had to be an unpleasant and disappointing evolution. The Lake George Club regatta was becalmed. So the boats had to be pulled from the water and crews had to secure the boat to put it on the road.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 10-03-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: fill grammar

Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie View Post
    evolution |ˌevəˈloō sh ən|
    The gradual development of something, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.
    Voni
    sMiling
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Voni
    sMiling
    sadly not that long ago in the Evolution timeline!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

There was a moment on Saturday when I found myself sitting comfortably and staring at my 2007 GS parked right next to a GORGEOUS 1973 Toaster in the golden light of the late-afternoon. That would have made a GREAT 'evolution' picture, but alas my camera's batteries had called it a day a few hours earlier.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad