• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride to work (salute to the Kook!)

El Dookey loves to ride.
Okay, the ice is off the road and it is time to start my engine!
I did this partially as a salute to the cold weather riding of the Old Kar Kook.
This ride marks my PC (Personal Coldest) effort. It was a frosty 19 degrees as I climbed aboard my unfaired Rockster with no heated clothes for the ten mile ride to the store.

Here is the walk to the garage

Attachments

• leaving the house small .jpg
    leaving the house small .jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 166
Julie caught me riding home

Not too many other bikes on the road, but the temp had rocketed to a sweltering 26 degrees by the time I headed home.

Attachments

• make the turn small 2.26.04.jpg
    make the turn small 2.26.04.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 164
Wrapping up the ride

One last shot to verify the ride.
ps - for you Florida, California, Arizona types - the white stuff is frozen water that falls from the sky hereabouts.
RIDE TO WORK!!

Attachments

• on the way home small .jpg
    on the way home small .jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 160
Way to go, Cliffy

And with no fairing, I say that makes you just about as crazy as Old Kar Kook. Are you thawed out yet? Glad to see you finally made it out, I will do the same one of these days.

Rich

Julie Claire took the shots

I asked Julie to get a couple shots of me pulling into our driveway, but she pulled a fast one and tucked herself into a driveway on the route home and caught me in action at the corner of Cascade Road and Alden Nash (M-50).
Julie would be my VSOP (Very Significant Other Person combined with a nod to the Brandy drinkers out there.....)

This was my shot after I chopped a path for the K bike to take a ride a few weeks ago. Temp was 24 f rode for about 120 miles. Thank you Gerbings

Attachments

• kbikeout.jpg
    kbikeout.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 97
Good on you

Like to see a determined biker getting out in the warm springtime. Narrow is the path which leads to the road grasshopper.
Lets hear it for the dude in CT!

From the looks of the debris, you had to chip that hard snow to get out. that is determination, and my hat is off to you!!

Colt03 said:
This was my shot after I chopped a path for the K bike to take a ride a few weeks ago. Temp was 24 f rode for about 120 miles. Thank you Gerbings

Very cool. Hats off for chunking the ice and snow off.

The real advantage to

riding on a day when you think that it is waaaay too cold is that when you suit up to ride on another day which may be cold, but is warmer, then it feels really warmer! (How is that for a nonsensical run on sentence?)
Fer instance. In honor of the OldCarKook I pushed the limit for riding in the cold and braved the 10 miles to work on a 19 degree morning. I was chilly by the time I got to the store.
So today when it was 36 with light snow flurries it felt so warm I took one of the long ways to the store so I could ride an extra 10 minutes or so. After all, the temp was almost TWICE what it was the other day....
The temperature battle must be won in the mind first, grasshopper, then it can be won in the saddle.

Sounds like you have this winter thing beaten Cliffy. I promise I will get you one of those air vests, as soon as one is under my airline seat. I know you are cost concious, so it will be free.:D . I am going to put some miles on tomorrow, and I actually like the weather in the 50's when I have the leathers on, that is when they are the most comfortable, and I just need my veated vest at 30' s and below.

Cliffy, you're too funny! Those are great photos and stories.

I was out in February when it was a warmer day (28) and took a longer ride. I was meeting others there (business meeting) and near the end of the meeting they commented on the fact that I had taken the bike and snow was expected. I explained that snow was not expected until late that night.

Wrong answer. The gods heard me. When we walked outside, it was snowing like a sombitch. Not sticking yet, but snowing like hell. Pucker factor 12! Yikes.

I hopped on the bike and high tailed it out of there as quickly as I could trying to get ahead of the snow, which I did, but I learned that the weatherman STILL doesn't have a clue.

I'm on the bike today since they are calling for another snow storm tomorrow! Yahoo. I have ridden every month all year this past year which is the first time that I have ever been able to do that.

ridin.gif

You set the pace.

You were the inspiration Kook. And look at the ripple effect. Beemer riders are busting out in the cold and snow all over the country! I could have worn shorts in today (if I wore shorts on my bike, that is) - it was 30-something. Barely need to zip up the coat with that kind of heat. But, it's a dry heat!

Back