• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remus

S

secondof7

Have a remus power cone slip-on silencer on R1200R, anyone know how to remove noise canceling device (baffle)?

Moved to correct forum..

And a response - the vast majority of BMW riders find more noise a bad thing. We generally strive for stealth. I suspect your Remus is already louder than stock.. isn't that loud enough?

Have a remus power cone slip-on silencer on R1200R, anyone know how to remove noise canceling device (baffle)?

Ive got a Remus Hexacone on mine. If it similiar, check out the tail end and look for a few small screws. Unscrew and pull on the inside metal fitting. Should pull out easily and be somewhere around 1 1/2 inch in diameter and 6-8 inches long.
I liked it much better with the baffle in.... just enough throaty sound without being loud and obnoxious.

And a response - the vast majority of BMW riders find more noise a bad thing. We generally strive for stealth. I suspect your Remus is already louder than stock.. isn't that loud enough?

Perhaps he's just a Harley owner trapped in the body of a BMW owner...:D

Remus Experience

2nd of Seven,

I've been thinking about purchasing the Hexacone slip-on for my R1200R. How's your experience been so far? Do any mods need to be done to the bike besides the install? Thanks.

Dan

I have a Remus cat back system on my '07 R1200S. Removing the baffle was easy. Remove set screw located under the exhaust tip and pull out the baffle. The sound is wonderful with the baffle removed - but not Harley loud and obnoxious.

There is not much difference with the baffle in or out in the volume, a bit more sound maybe. On mine the baffle was fixed with a rivet that had to be drilled out careful not to use too big a bit as the hole is threaded so the baffle can be replaced with a screw.

As with almost any bike on which the baffle in the exhaust is removed, no real useable additional power is gained, only more noise. The only power gains in a free-flowing exhaust exist at the upper third of the rpm range. The mid-range typically looses power and the bike runs hotter because it actually leans out the fuel/air mixture.

But its your bike. I prefer to go quickly and quietly. I have enough noise in my life as it is. And NO, loud pipes do NOT save lives.

I just hope more cities do not follow Denver, CO lead. There is a new city noise abatement ordinance. If an officer pulls you over cause your bike is loud, and he sees no factory markings on the exahust, BAM, instant fine of $500. Here are some details:

http://www.sportbikes.com/articles.aspx?id=28366

I don't have one on my RT but I have some experience.
At the last InterNational Rally in WI ther was a Remus vendor/distributor.
During an install, I saw them wrestle with an insert on some sort of late model R12 series.
Follow the others guidance regarding procedure and call the dealer for tips.
The insert that I saw was a tube, pretty long, which slid into the silencer. All it takes is a bur or two, some corrosion, or the like to hang things up a bit.

To expand on Don E's comment.
And For What It's Worth.
And In My Experience and Opinion
I purchased a system for my '04GT while I was in West Bend. They installed on site. Shipped my OEM back to Cleveland for me. 100 miles into the ride home realized I'd made a mistake. Yes it was lighter (a good thing), made a sorta cool sound under mid and hard throttle, but the droning at steady highway speeds was DEFINATELY NOT MY CUP OF TEA.

Reinstalled old faithfull, now dented and scratched from the cross country and back shipping adventure (as these things go,the OEM '04GT factory exhaust is a BIG piece of freight), and sold the Remus within a month.

DMilan
'02RT (nasty surger, no cruise) gone
'04GT (groomed to suit me, pretty nice) traded
'07RT I think she may be the one...ha ha

Back