• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Big Bend Tx & southern NM

twins4life

We're taking a short trip to Big Bend for the CASI Chilli cook-off and then to the VLA thingy in NM.

Any "must sees" on I-10 then I-25?

Drop down to 90 - stop off at Langtry.

When you get 53 miles south of Alpine on 118 - look on the west side of the road for the old windmill and Adobe house.

Stop by and say Hi!

Don't know if this is too late, but head east from Las Cruces to White Sands, then over the mountains via Cloudcroft. You won't be dissappointed. Could hit Carlsbad and see a big hole in the ground.

Drop down to 90 - stop off at Langtry.

judge roy bean, the law west of the pecos.

we're headed out to NM at the end of next week to camp in the gila national wilderness.

on your way to the VLA, check out these roads:

NM152 west from I25 to Silver City, US180 north to NM78 west to US191 north (the Coronado Trail)

Turn east on US60, stop in Pie Town (I recommend the Pie-o-Neer cafe) and the VLA is on your right just a bit further down the road.

You hook around to the VLA, as opposed to the direct route, but you will very much enjoy these roads.

ian

We're taking a short trip to Big Bend for the CASI Chilli cook-off and then to the VLA thingy in NM.

Any "must sees" on I-10 then I-25?

Do you have to/want to go I-10? we have taken US 190 all the way from Menard to 163 into Ozona and south to Comstock /US 90 . I-10 is maybe a tad quicker...but it's busy & windy! US 190 was as scenic and NO traffic.

Thanks for the suggested roads near the VLA; we'll take pics!

Henzilla, we will be shoveling coal to get there as we leave Thursday night and have to register by 12PM on Friday if we want to be judges.

We can take your route on the return trip, looks nice. From the map we can take 29 from Menard to Mason.

We're taking the BMW's behind the RV and I'm sure one of us will be on a bike at all times... :))

Turn east on US60, stop in Pie Town (I recommend the Pie-o-Neer cafe) and the VLA is on your right just a bit further down the road.

I'll have to try the Pie-o-neer the next time I'm in Pie Town. My friends in Deming recommended the Daily Pie Cafe, so that's where I went.

PB123867sml.jpg

Gage Hotel

If you need an overnight stay near Big Bend, try the Gage Hotel in Marathon (about 90 miles north of Big Bend). It is a historic old west hotel. If you don't stay there, try their dinner. It has been years since I stayed there, but the memories persist vividly.

http://www.gagehotel.com/

Hi, Twins4life,
+1 to Visian's post. US 191 will wear you out with all the twists and turns. Watch for hooved rats and bigger - elk, bear, etc. I've seen them plus javelina, porcupines, etc. on the road. Fill up in Cliften or Morenci, as there is no further fuel until (I believe) Hannigan Meadow. The altitude climbs to over 8000ft. You should be ok (weather) in early October. For Visian's trip in November, I wouldn't want to bet the road would be passable on a motorcycle.

Back