• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flea market

L

legion

Shame there's no flea market forum available here. The MOA site seems like a perfect spot for one and it'd be faaar faster and more efficient than the waitin for the mag.

Fish, you the bmoc here? What do you think?

Me? I'm looking for crash bars. Like the kind that I see on Adv's (assuming they'll fit my 03 GS).

Hi legion,

The forum team has discussed this idea, and for now there are currently no plans to implement a classified section. With the BMW MOA classifieds, IBMWR Marketplace, and Advrider Flea Market, there's plenty of coverage in this area.

Of course things may change as the forums continue to evolve.

fish

I've talked to a few people about this also and one of the reasons that some people renew thier membership is to receive the magazine, or even more so, the Flea Market..

Throwing the flea market on the web may actaully hurt the membership count...

Just a thought...

Also, Send a letter to your government officials to change the time 1/2 hour and leave it there, completely forgetting about Daylight savings time.. Fricken time change....:mad :mad

Paper said:
I've talked to a few people about this also and one of the reasons that some people renew thier membership is to receive the magazine, or even more so, the Flea Market..

Just a thought...

Also, Send a letter to your government officials to change the time 1/2 hour and leave it there, completely forgetting about Daylight savings time.. Fricken time change....:mad :mad

There will come a time when portions of this forum will not be public and will only be available to MOA members.

Paper said:

you need to be subcribe to MOA to post on this forum,,so I don't think is going to hurt much.

My self I prefer the PAPER for the articules and just for the tactil experience.
but for flea market stuff the NET is way more efficient,and way faster(don't need to wait until the end of the month,No deal lines,,many advantages) ,you can ask questions,,is just a much nicer way to do it..

one think I dislike about IBMWR's is that you need to go true all there ADS to find what you want,,with this format,you can do a search and go execlly to what you want,,plus you will know if the stuff is sold or not.

I VOTE YES and I think actually the "flea market"will bring many people in(in my case the only reason I go to IBMWR's is becasue the flea market),,the postings are way to boring and to dogmatic(with out feedback to my taste)

this is just my opinion,,and I'm just one guy

Poop

I forgot about the fact that this is/will be a private forum..
With that being the case, scratch my first post..
The wait for something to get posted is so long that I have forgotten the things that I have listed..
:dunno
As someone who uses IBMWR's flea market, I say "Go for it!!"

Anyone paying the annual fee to MOA just to read classifieds is:
1. Wasting time for outdated ads.
2. Wasting a heck of a good magazine.

To wit: The lag time between ad submission and arrival of the magazine in one's mailbox makes it an antiquated medium in today's marketplace. Several years back I had a case for an airhead, and every bike I called about had already sold, until I finally called about one that was just more than I wanted to pay. That, I suspect, is why he still had it when I called. And it was why he still had it when I hung up.

Next, the other Owner's News content is first-rate, and that is the primary reason I want to receive the magazine. Periodically, I will pass along my old issues to an entry level rider, or to a new beemer rider, but most of the time, I have several years of issues in a box on the shelf. Re, the recent post about Sidehacks, and the ON article several years back. I no longer have the issue on the shelf, but remembered reading it. Flash either (a) has a photographic memory, or (b) has a list of the issues in a file, or (c), has the issue on his shelf, or (d) all of the above. So, he posted the issue month, with the added bit of information about it being Don Douglass' last issue. The magazine, past and present, is worth keeping around as a reference piece for the serious motorcyclist.

Anyway, there are a number of possible ways to implement classifieds here that will be a worthy enhancement to the site, and that will make the site a draw for both MOA members and non members.

Supposing a fleamarket was added, it would be a mistake to make it viewable as a "member only" function. Rather, if a non-MOA member finds his or her motorcycle here, that will become a significant incentive to join the organization. That said, I would be in favor of making fleamarket posting access a member only function, while leaving viewing privileges for ads (and most other areas) open to all. It is sometimes a sticky issue, but strengthening the organization as a whole for the benefit of all is an inherent goal in the site proper. Serving that goal makes some membership privileges, and non-member limitations, a reality to deal with.

At any rate, my vote is to ad the fleamarket.

Rick (yes, I am classifieds lover) in AL

PS: An interesting activity from the organizational standpoint would be to track the site usage statistics for a while, and then track changes after adding a fleamarket. My hunch is that use of the site would increase. A corresponding increase in membership enrollment would also be measurable from that benchmark.

Last edited:
Originally posted by RickM (edited for content)
Anyone paying the annual fee to MOA just to read classifieds is:
Wasting time for outdated ads.
I can post an ad today on IBMWR Marketplace and by tomorrow have the part sold using PayPal or delivered via FedEx. Waiting two MONTHS for flea market ads is... pointless. Anyone who does NOT have access to a computer is a luddite. There are computers available to the public in every public library, not to mention friends and relatives.
Re, the recent post about Sidehacks, and the ON article several years back. I no longer have the issue on the shelf, but remembered reading it. Flash either (a) has a photographic memory, or (b) has a list of the issues in a file, or (c), has the issue on his shelf, or (d) all of the above. So, he posted the issue month, with the added bit of information about it being Don Douglass' last issue. The magazine, past and present, is worth keeping around as a reference piece for the serious motorcyclist.
(e)The fact is that I recently threw out nearly thirty years worth of BMW MOA Owners News issues. I'm tired of moving them and never look in them at all. The reason I had the sidecar issue on the tip of my tongue is that my writing and photos were included in that issue and therefore I received a half dozen copies of it. The reason I said what I said about Don was that he was thrilled to read what I had written and offered me a monthly column. Sandy apparently does not like my style or else does not consider my writing worthy of print in HER journal. Therefore, I will NEVER forget Don. (Sandy who?)
Anyway, there are a number of possible ways to implement classifieds here that will be a worthy enhancement to the site, and that will make the site a draw for both MOA members and non members.
The Advrider Fleamarket is one example.
At any rate, my vote is to ad the fleamarket.
Any other vote is from someone who lacks ANY computer skills whatsoever.
An interesting activity from the organizational standpoint would be to track the site usage statistics for a while, and then track changes after adding a fleamarket. My hunch is that use of the site would increase. A corresponding increase in membership enrollment would also be measurable from that benchmark.
Hunch that it would increase? I'll bet that in three months traffic will at least DOUBLE. The reason it will take three months is because that is the lead time necessary for the announcement to appear in the MOA News.

In summation, the pony express is gone, as are carrier pigeons. It is TIME to put the flea market online. I was amazed that the MOA finally got around to have THIS website. Nobody much visits it yet because nobody much knows it even exists. If the MOA wants to be a success, then it MUST embrace the internet. Darwin said it best... ~"Adapt to change or become extinct."

Thanks, Rick.

Rest assured that the flea market issue is the source of no small amount of debate among the Board of Directors and the Forum Admin team.

dave

on-line flea market

Coming from someone who uses on-line and in print ads from both motorcycles and HAM radios I must concour that in print ads are a p.i.t.a. You wait a month to have it show up. And it's a race to see who get the mag first. Then there is the constant rumour that others get a preview.

I don't think the forums is the way to go but I would support a flea market on the MOA website with members posting as they do now and then a MOA employee OKs the ad and puts it on the website. You could even allow limited images.

MarkF

KBasa said:
the flea market issue is the source of no small amount of debate among the Board of Directors and the Forum Admin team.

ah HA! We've found the problem and the problem are us!

Ever notice that you've never seen a monument to a board or commitee in a local park? :brow Well there's a reason for that.

Worse yet, as if a normal board didn't have enough problems, yours has a polish sausage and a fish on it ...you're doomed. :uhoh

If you really want to get something accomplished, just ask me what ought to be done :wave ...alternately you can ask anybody else that agrees with me.

Back