• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Rear End

MAGWA

I'm charged with switching out a rear end on a 2003 RS next weekend. From the research I've done, and with the exception of having to apply heat to loosen up the Loctite that holds the pinion bearings (simple- but a pain in the ass) it seems pretty straight-forward.

However, not having doe the job before, I wonder if any of you gearheads have access to, or can scan and send an exploded view of the oilhead differential and housing and shoot it my way.....I'd appreciate any help out there.

Oh, and the reason I'm doing this is that a friend is selling his bike ('03 RS) on which he has installed a higher final drive. He's giving that gear drive to me for my '04 RS.

Thanks.

Attachments

• dsc00009.jpg
    dsc00009.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 332
I'm just curious as to what your hoping to accomplish with trading rear ends?? Gas mileage or bottom end power increase??
Thanks Rich

Final Drive

BMW decided to go for low rpm's when they engineered the gear ratios for the six-speed.

For some of us who were used to the lower 1st gear on the earlier transmissions, the sluggishmess "out of the hole" is problematic.

I think just a personal preference issue. I don't use this bike for the drags...but(t) I'm heavy. Because of that, the high 1st is more noticable. And I have visions of clutch plates spinning in my head. 8^)

I'm pretty sure the mechanical issues are nothing worth worrying about. Especially up against the problems inherent in the earlier five speeds.

and back together.

These are all from the manual for 1100RSs, but I don't think there were any meaningful changes between the paralevers.

Attachments

• install.pdf
    50.7 KB · Views: 32
Tanks Feesh

I used this excellent info and got half the job done....The other half is scheduled for Saturday. The Loctite is a bitch.

Tanks, Feesh.

Attachments

• bikeapart6.jpg
    bikeapart6.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 225
Back