• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do I post a picture? Try 2mb or less sizing

another test

testing

Attachments

• 010210010400010301200706077809b92105cc25b43d005fe0.jpg
    010210010400010301200706077809b92105cc25b43d005fe0.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 116
Buckeye,

I hope you don't mind me saying, your first test was infinitely more successful.

The Big Ride

Kathy south of Calgary

Re-sizedKathyriding.jpg

Phil.........Redbrick

another test

heres a test, thanks for having this thread

Attachments

• bike test 1.jpg
    bike test 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 74
I resized my pics with Irfanview. I was able to post but the picture is small and not clear. What am I doing wrong? Is it really this hard or am I just that computer illiterate? You can see my pic at the end of post a pic in hexheads. HELP!!

I resized my pics with Irfanview. I was able to post but the picture is small and not clear. What am I doing wrong? Is it really this hard or am I just that computer illiterate? You can see my pic at the end of post a pic in hexheads. HELP!!

Usually, resizing from a bigger picture to a smaller picture works just fine. I use Irfanview a lot... What I do is open the original picture...usually the size is quite big if it was shot with a digital camera, like maybe 1600 x 1200. I then click on Image, Resize/Resample, then click on either 640 x 480 or 800 x 600. I take all of the other options as default. After that, chose File, Save As, and enter a new file name, different than the original file name.

Is that what you did? What is the source of the original? If you go from a smaller picture to a bigger picture, you can get a grainy picture if you go too big.

post a picture

Is it really this tough, or am I just that computer illiterate?Bob1100RTC

It is tough, Bob. And remember, many of the people here are I T professionals, and it's easy for them.

I just opened a Smug Mug account and can't even get my pictures into the site. The Smug Mug is easy enough, but I can't yank the stuff out of my computer.

Anyway, the teen agers are here now and are going to help me.

Rinty

I tried resizing to 640x480 and 800x600. Both resulted in too large a file size. I have to be doing something wrong. I just don't know what it is.

I tried resizing to 640x480 and 800x600. Both resulted in too large a file size. I have to be doing something wrong. I just don't know what it is.

What do you mean by "too large"? That's about the right size for a picture to appear on the screen without going over the edge, requiring a viewer to have to scroll up/down or left/right.

I don't have any of the on-line picture storage space, so I can't really help there. Maybe there's some kind of restriction you're having with your file-sharing site.

When we're talking about image "size", there are two components that make up the actual size of the file. I think the limit here is 160K/image (it's been a while). The image size comes from the sizes you've shown above, but also from the density of the image. For example, your image, while a different dimensional size, has the original density "size".

In Irfanview, when you resize, you want to turn the density down to something like 72dpi (which is about the max you'll get on a display) at the same time as you change the dimensional "size".

Try something like 400 on the long side for the dimensions (leave the aspect ratio alone and Irfan view will calculate the other edge's length) and set the density (resolution? look for something that controls dpi) to 72dpi and you should be set.

Alternatively, you can spend $25/year (or thereabouts, use the MOA discount) and just stick all your photos up on smugmug. You can then just use a link to the image and forever forget about resizing and attaching. :)

Try it again, man, let's see your photos! I'd love to see more folks taking part in the photo assignment threads. :buds

It is tough, Bob. And remember, many of the people here are I T professionals, and it's easy for them.

I just opened a Smug Mug account and can't even get my pictures into the site. The Smug Mug is easy enough, but I can't yank the stuff out of my computer.

Anyway, the teen agers are here now and are going to help me.

Rinty

Hey, rinty.

What are you using for a computer? PC? Apple? What internet browser are you using?

I can give you a hand putting photos in your post. You can get your stuff up to smugmug, right?

posting

Thanks for your offer, Dave. I'm on a PC. Teen agers to the rescue! My daughter's friend, who is going on to take graphic arts, came in and got the uploading going in about 2 minutes. Ha! He had never seen Smug Mug and was quite interested in it. Wondered why I was using it, and was quite impressed. I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own though: I had stuff in parked in both Photoshop Elements and Microsoft Office.

So it's on to the next step now.

Rinty

Rinty,
When you get into "post reply" click on "Insert image" (looks like a mountain or a postcard or something). A popup window will appear, paste your url in that window.
Good luck.

http://rinty.smugmug.com/photos/213514712-M.jpg

Test
Nope: I'm doing the same thing Iamble was doing. Back to the drawing board.

Rinty

OK, you're real close now.

Instead of just pasting the link in, hit that little yellow button that has the mountain on it. It'll open up a little window and you can just paste the link you've got up above here in that window.

You'll then see your info, pasted in between two little IMG tags. To see, quote this post.

213514712-M.jpg

Back