• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How do I post a picture? Try 2mb or less sizing

So how do I post pictures from SmugMug with the new VBulletin?

I'm getting "invalid URL"

I would think that the new VB would have no affect on that. Getting the message "invalid URL" suggests that something is wrong with the URL being pasted from SmugMug. I'll try taking something from a flickr account. I just used the features on the flickr account to grab the BBCode and pasted it here. It seems to work. I would think that SmugMug would work the same way.

So how do I post pictures from SmugMug with the new VBulletin?

I'm getting "invalid URL"
Where are you getting the link? Use the Share>Get a link drop down on the upper right corner of the page. You can use one of the links in the photo link tab. You can't use the address in your browsers address bar.

Test:

://rinty.smugmug.com/Other/cat-shots-09/i-3NQTQT6/0/L/suri%20april%20pics%20229-L.jpg"]http://rinty.smugmug.com/Other/cat-shots-09/i-3NQTQT6/0/L/suri%20april%20pics%20229-L.jpg[IMG]

Last edited:
just checking

grandpa

grampajoeonH-D.jpg

Try using that with tags before and after the link, like this:

[IMG]http://rinty.smugmug.com/Other/cat-shots-09/i-3NQTQT6/0/L/suri%20april%20pics%20229-L.jpg

Nice kitty!

Voni
sMiling

Thanks Voni; that's Suri. My test above was just by using the URL button, and it was just an experiment. I don't know how to attach tags. You can see I edited the post by trining to bracket the link and it didn't work. I am chopping something that I shouldn't be chopping.

Kurt/Dave: I am pulling the images out of SmugMug the same way I have always done, by clicking on "share", then "get a link", then "large". Then I minimize SmugMug and maximize the Forum. When I click on the "get image" icon, a window opens, and at the top it says "from computer" and "from url". I click on the "from url" tab and a window slot opens. I put the pointer in that window slot and right click and paste my image. That is when the invalid comes up.

As another test, I am trying to pull a picture out of my computer data base, using the "from computer" tab:

[ATTACH]36492._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Anyway, thanks for your help everybody. Luckily, my imaging guru is still here a few days before he goes back to school, and I need him to come in and teach me Olympic Master 2, which I also can't operate. I can operate Office 10, but not this imaging stuff. :ha

Voni -

That will pretty much always work...depending on the site that hosts the image...some of the on-line microfiche sites don't allow "hot linking". I think what maybe what rinty was trying to do was use the tools at SmugMug to drop in a picture. That's what I did with my post from flickr. Each site should provide ways to "grab" a link for direct posting. Sometimes it's not by going to the URL you see at the top of the page that you are viewing. There may need to be some formatting in-between. But I think you know all this as you post pictures from your account all the time.

Kurt/Dave: I am pulling the images out of SmugMug the same way I have always done, by clicking on "share", then "get a link", then "large". Then I minimize SmugMug and maximize the Forum. When I click on the "get image" icon, a window opens, and at the top it says "from computer" and "from url". I click on the "from url" tab and a window slot opens. I put the pointer in that window slot and right click and paste my image. That is when the invalid comes up.

rinty -

I think that's where you might be going wrong. Once you've "gotten the link", you just then go to the forum post you're working on and paste the link in. By getting a link, you're copying it to the computer clipboard...you just need to paste from the clipboard...that should do it. I've used to forum "get image" icon but only for uploading from my computer...I've not tried the "from URL" side. When using the "get a link" from SmugMug, you should be able to simply paste it into the post directly...you can then do the same thing for additional images from SmugMug...that's the beauty of using an on-site hosting feature, more than one image per post. Using the image upload feature in the forum, you can only do one picture per post.

Test: I bypassed the "insert image" box in V Bulletin this time:

December%202010%20003-L.jpg

Nope. Another cat shot for you, Voni. This is Shiloh. :)

p.s. I edited the link by replacing the "url" in the square brackets with "IMG", and the image appeared. But this is not too efficient.

Last edited:
rinty -

Again, this image could be displayed if the
tags were put around the URL you posted. But that's not what I think you're trying to do. From my flickr account, the URL at the top of the page is way different than what I actually pasted into the forum a few posts ago. I can tell by right clicking on the image and comparing it to the top-of-page URL. It has additional phrases within the URL that are specific to flickr...I suspect SmugMug would be the same.

Kurt: you'll see I finally got the image up by doing Voni's trick. I figured it out by pasting a picture on the Rennlist, and then writing down the link sequence there and copying the same format in my post above. Whew!

So, that's an end run around the problem, for now. :D

Thanks again for your help, everybody.

Kurt: you'll see I finally got the image up by doing Voni's trick. I figured it out by pasting a picture on the Rennlist, and then writing down the link sequence there and copying the same format in my post above. Whew!

So, that's an end run around the problem, for now. :D

Thanks again for your help, everybody.

you guys try photobucket.com yet? stupid easy photo hosting site, and tons of uploadable space.

Testing

I just joined as I just bought an airhead. this is the first post. I clicked the preview button and the photo appears, but it seems too large. I went through Photobucket, which I use to post on some other forums. Probably ned to read back to the first of this thread to see about resizing.

Bob Ross, Portland, Oregon

Hi Bob, welcome! It's a little on the large size but no scroll bars so you should be fine. The first page suggests some sizing but your looking fine.
Gary

Test:

Moscow%20trip%201%20025-XL.jpg

Ah, I figured out how to work this new system now. When pulling from a hosting site, and after pasting in the URL, you click the little arrow off, in the retrieve remote file box. Whew!

Now to put up some more cat shots. :D

Last edited:
test

LakePlacidMoto060.jpg

Harry

PS: I did this test to see if I could post original images without resizing, and it works!

Also, I just got the link from photobucket and added the img /img commands at each end.

Back