• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How do I post a picture? Try 2mb or less sizing

kbasa

OK, so you've got some cool pictures from that nifty digital camera, but you can't get them posted here because they're too big.

So how the heck do you get them to a size that'll allow you to post?

1. Get yourself a copy of IrfanView. It's free and you can get it at www.irfanview.com.

2. Fire up Irfanview and open your image.
2489242-M.jpg

3. Select Image>Resize & Resample
2489244-M.jpg

4. Select 72dpi and a size of about 300dpi across or so. Be sure to leave the little "preserve aspect ratio" box checked so your image doesn't get distorted.
2489243-M.jpg

5. Save your photo using File>Save As. This will keep you from changing your original file and will give you a nice one to put up on the web.

6. When you post your message, use the Attach File item, but don't preview your message! vBulletin, our forum software, will drop your attachment if you do.

Want to practice? Use this thread to do that. We'll keep it stickied so it's always here.

Thanks from a computer dummy. I bet this still isn't right.

Attachments

• topcase.jpg
    topcase.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 6,402
another computer dummy

Good description on the picture with a digital camera. My question is ? I don't have a digital camera but can scan a regular pic to my computer. How can I post a pic with my scan method? Thanks IHCB:dunno

Hey Cowboy,

You can use IrfanView to scan the photo print (use File>Acquire) and then resize it to fit, just like if it was taken with a digicam.

Posting a pic

Well here goes. I will try to see if I got this right. If I did there is a pic of me at the time of delivery of my new K12 at Daytona BMW last year ( pre-bikeweek a couple of days):D

Attachments

• bmw pictures.jpg
    bmw pictures.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 6,403
Neat picture! Does your scanning software allow you to select a portion of the frame to scan? I have an HP and it allows me to click on the upper left corner of the photo I'm scanning and select just that for my picture.

Nice K12, mang!

pic size

I put in the 72 x 300 and hit ok on the page but some how the pic still attached from the my pictures folder as 1275. Any tips on where I am going wrong on sizing before attaching an image? I had the picture saved in My Pictures before opening iview and the image size is what it was from scanning to My Pictures. If the image is resized in iview do attach directly from iview or go back to My Pictures as I did? Thanks for your help. Cowboy

It probably does

I have a OfficeJet G85 all in one machine with a flatbed scanner/copier. It does more than I'm sure I know to operate. I'll see about all the functions as I get more proficient with all this imagery stuff. I did notice it had instructions during scanning to attach to a website and e-mail directly from scan mode but I wasn't sure how to attach directly to BMWMOA as shown. Thanks again IHCB

OK, give me a little bit and I'm going to make a post about how to scan a picture and post it - using HP software.

:)

tes tpost

just trying it out...

it looks too small. size matters. will i be breaking rules if i post em a little bigger? im going to add a second one a little larger to see...

Attachments

• work2.jpg
    work2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 6,237
Dave

What about us (insert noun of choice) who're on Macs? :confused: Do you know of any similar-function software?

Re: tes tpost

username said:
just trying it out...

it looks too small. size matters. will i be breaking rules if i post em a little bigger? im going to add a second one a little larger to see...

No, try it out. If you don't like the results, you can go back via the Edit button and delete your post.

Dave,

I'm not sure about Mac stuff, but I'm sure there's something out there for you guys. Does your Mac have something like Paint that allows you to capture photos?

Yes, there are several ways of doing that. I wonder if it'd work to just attach a photo without further processing it as you described for PCs.

I guess I'll just have to, you know, actually *try* it. <g>

dbrick said:
Yes, there are several ways of doing that. I wonder if it'd work to just attach a photo without further processing it as you described for PCs.

I guess I'll just have to, you know, actually *try* it. <g>

Yup. You can always delete the post. I put this together assuming the image would be too big and would need to be resized. Knowing how well Macs handle images and the like, you may already have tools that allow you to resize and the like.

There's really only one restriction on photos that the forum has: size. The attachment can't be more than 160K. The size of the image isn't really restricted, but if they get too big, they can be hard to view as they expand beyond the edge of the screen.

Picture practice

This is test # 1.

Attachments

• ray & truck in front of motel.jpg
    ray & truck in front of motel.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 973
Here's a shot of Mary stopped by Owens Lake, on the way to Death Valley

Attachments

• dvride.jpg
    dvride.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,511
sending pictures

This is a test this is only a test if this wasn't a test I'd type something else.

Attachments

• my bmw.jpg
    my bmw.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 943
Help!

All of a sudden I cannot attach a picture, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Yeah, I know the size limitations and also the fact that you can't preview. What else can be causing my trouble? Maybe something to do with my browser? I don't have a clue so if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. I have done successful attachments in the past......

Thanks a lot.

Back