• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do I post a picture? Try 2mb or less sizing

Scrambler_3_800x600.jpg

sgborgstrom said:
third time?
24571443-M.jpg

The second IMG tag needs a "/" to tell the software that the tag is closed.

I put the / in and your picture showed up.

If you've got your post a reply preference set to "Guided Mode", when you click the little yellow button with the mountain, smugmug will open a dialog box. Just paste your image location there and you're done!

If you want to take a look at how the IMG tags should work, just click Edit on the post above and you'll see how they work. That's pretty much how it works with any of the formatting tools. You have the tag, which might be a B for bold, or I for italics, or whatever with the square brackets around it and the same tag, with a / added to stop the formatting.

Nice picture too! :)

Is it possible to post a larger pic if you don't use smugmug? I only ask because it seems as though folks can post larger pics on here, and when I try the pics are only about 2x2. Does it have to do with the resolution that the pic was taken? Just curious is all. Thanks

pudgypaintguy said:
Is it possible to post a larger pic if you don't use smugmug? I only ask because it seems as though folks can post larger pics on here, and when I try the pics are only about 2x2. Does it have to do with the resolution that the pic was taken? Just curious is all. Thanks

Yeah, it can have something to do with resolution. Think of a digital photograph as having density. If you're taking a reasonably high quality shot, you can have very high density, which means that the camera has generated lots of pixels to fill in detail on the photo. That number is the megapixel count you looked at when you bought your camera.

Anyway, the best thing you can do to lower the size of the image is to resample it down to 72dpi. That's all you're going to see over the internet, so you might as well make the size of the image file smaller without harming the resolution the viewer sees. Also, if you cut the size to about 400 to 500 pixels wide, you'll still have a decently sized photo.

That said, let me talk about how attached photos work with the database and how they can affect the costs the MOA bears to deal with them. I'm not trying to discourage attaching photos, as they really make things come alive here, but to explain so people know how the forum software works.

When you attach a photo, it gets stored on our servers, so we pay for storage fees. When a user clicks on a thread to look at it, the server sends that image to the user. We pay for bandwidth usage as well.

If a user has linked a smugmug or other image into the post, we don't have to pay to store the image, nor do we have to pay for the bandwidth. What happens is that on the user's desktop, the forum software shows the thread, but inserts the image directly from the image's hosting server.

Does that help? Keep those photos coming, they really do make the whole place feel like real life some times.

:thumb

dave

Dave thanks for the reply and it makes perfect sense too. It does appear that smugmug type format would be better for all based upon the variable costs.

Thanks again,
Andy

RTRandy said:
Let's see if I can test placing multiple shots.

[ IMG]http://rpscott.smugmug.com/gallery/1005463/1/46517570/Large[ /IMG]

Hope this workss

[ IMG]http://rpscott.smugmug.com/gallery/1005463/1/46517657/Large[ /IMG]

You're close. You need the full path out to the picture, which should include the name of the .jpg file. Looks like you got the syntax right for the IMG tags, but need to work on the path name.

Look at the way this picture is done by clicking on Quote.

44410708-M.jpg

KBasa said:
You're close. You need the full path out to the picture, which should include the name of the .jpg file. Looks like you got the syntax right for the IMG tags, but need to work on the path name.

Look at the way this picture is done by clicking on Quote.

44410708-M.jpg

Hmmmmm Back to the drawing board

Test photo

From the Long Beach Bike Show. It is a Ducati.....I think!

Attachments

• DucGirls.bmp
    137.4 KB · Views: 176
KBasa said:
Nice one, Barry. :thumb

Thanks Dave, I had to roll it out this weekend though. 40's at Christmas in North Dakota! I hope it lasts a couple more months. I had to try out my new WarmnSafe jacket liner....nice and toasty! Only bad thing is now I have to go out and wash it, don't want any salt doing its thing to my bike.

Barry

Back