• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Key Largo, Prudhoe and Westfest

• Thread starter RIDERR1150GSADV
  • Start date
Key Largo, Prudhoe Bay and Westfest

July 12 th,

After a night in Anchorage at the HD dealer, it was time to head out toward Colorado.
I left at 7:40 AM and my first stop was an auto parts store to replace the now dead Stebel Nautilus air horn. I guess that the fine dust (construction zones) in the air killed it off
That replacement job took 15 minutes and I was on my way again.
The Wrangell-St Elias mountain range is beautiful and the ride to Tok was very nice.
As I stopped in Tok for gas I met Brian and Shawn, the guys who had the tire issues in Prudhoe...
We chatted a bit and they told me that they will bring spare tires for their bikes if they ever did this ride again. Getting burned like they were, isn't cool and a hard lesson to learn.

The border crossing was again very simple as the customs officer asked if I had weapons on me, checked my passport and after my "no" answer let me pass.
I did about 538 miles that day and camped in Burwash Landing at Kluane Lake for free. :clap

180690442-M.jpg

180690485-M.jpg

180690555-M.jpg

180690633-M.jpg

180690712-M.jpg

180691042-M.jpg

Alcan construction.

180696897-M.jpg

More to follow

Thanks guys!! :buds I'll try to post some more later.....:D

Friday the 13th..... :uhoh

Actually it was a long day (600+ miles)and after breakfast in Burwash Landing I headed south.
After a quickie lunch in Whitehorse ( Monster energy drink and a Chocolate bar) and gas, I rode to Teslin Junction. The bridge there was a b^tch. Fortunately I was forewarned and took it easy as the metal grate made the bike go diagonally across it's surface. Even pick-up trucks do funny stuff... :nod

The Watson Lake stop was spend at Sally's Cafe again, as I needed a personal fill-up with meat, potatos and veggies. The truckers there told me about some wild-life and I did see a Grizzly crossing the road about 40-50 yards in front of me.
It was not interested in me :nyah at all end bee-lined for a patch of berry laden bushes.... 800 yards further, the construction crew was less than enthusiastic about my sighting and let me pass again without a pilot car...
Note to self; cry Wolf and the construction folks may let you pass without the pilot car??? :idea :D

The next living thing however was a Wolf, who too fled the scene. I guess the quiet BMW rumble put him off... :D
And yes it was a Wolf, as I also had seen Coyotes and thet are very different. My folks had a German sheppard who was 1/4 wolf, complete with aria's during full moon :bluduh

The day ended in Dease Lake after a last minute fill up at a gas station about to close, I actually had to beg for the fuel because they were closing. Fortunately the manager was nicer :heart than the attendant :bluduh and let me fill up. The bike did take 7.5gallons.... I am happy about my tank modification allowing me to add at least 2 quarts of extra gas.
I pitched the tent at the Dease Lake campground for a restfull night next to a river. :clap

Teslin Junction

180697123-M.jpg

180697139-M.jpg

Ok one with the bike.....:D

180697450-M.jpg

Camp at Dease Lake

180699220-M.jpg

180699279-M.jpg

To be cont'd

love it, oskar....guess you didn't get any fishing in on this trip!:nono

Key Largo. Prudhoe Bay and Westfest

July 14th

It was now really about making some time as I am riding the same route back on the BC 37 as I did on the way up.
From Dease River to Quesnel BC was a 670 mile ride. I started early as the road crews weren't ready yet. The pilotcar thing got on my nerves, as it is in 90% of the time a waste.
I'm sure it is a union thing as the roads in some cases aren't re-graded but de-graded into a mire of muck. I wish I had before and after pictures to show.

The area however is really beautiful and nature is amazing. It being very early in the AM, the only sounds are of nature itself and your own.

Early AM and nobody on the road. I did go slow enough to avoid wildlife or so I hoped..

180699395-M.jpg

I ended up with an dry eye issue I get when I am very tired. and In Quesnel BC, I got a hotel where I met a Canadian who writes for motorcycle magazines. He took this pic. :D

181719978-M.jpg

More on the way...

July 15th

Well after a very good night's sleep, my dry eye issue was resolved too.:D At breakfast my new found buddy from Canada showed me some rural roads on a map but unfortunately I was getting pressed for time and skipped them, sorry Steve!! I still have them marked on my maps though. :groovy

After another uneventfull border crossing into the US at Osoyoos/Oroville, I ended up in Wilbur Washington. Here I was contemplating a different route than I already had ridden, but the forrest fires changed that plan. I was originally going to ride the Continental Divide trail on the way south, but between the heat and the fires I will do that next year as I didn't fancy being stuck in a bad situation. " A man has got to know his limitations" and potentionally being in over my head was not the smart thing to do. Thusfar I had absolutly had no major issues with myself or the bike and wasn't about to change the good Karma.

Another photo from Steve in Quesnel BC

181719969-M.jpg

Inside joke for ADV riders:whistle

180700506-M.jpg

A ski area in BC

180700604-M.jpg

All in all a nice 526 mile ride and back in the USA!

Still more to come...:snore

Monday July 16

Today's ride, 443 (s)miles, was an easy one as I had to shop for the bike. The machine needed an oilchange and filters because it turned 36 K on the odo... From Wilbur I rode to Missoula MT for the parts. I knew that the airfilter was going to be pretty dirty. I wish I had a photo of the pile of sand that came out of the old one... The bike's computer took 2 minutes to readjust the idle as more air was coming in...The bike's milage improved by 4 MPG as well!! Note to self: clean out the filter more often...

36K problem free miles so far!

180701147-M.jpg

Fortunately I had purchased the extended warranty from my dealer prior to the trip and it now has 5 more years of unlimited miles coverage from Pinnacle. :clap :clap

The temps in MT were 105 F and I saw quite a few overheated Harley's stopped on the side of the road...:cry
The big boxer however didn't have any issues with the heat and after AK and BC neither did I. :D
In Dillon I also pressure washed the bike as the sticky stuff from Haul road and other road grime was getting to be too much. You can't really check for leaks etc and the motor runs hotter too with all that goo attached everywhere. The Koa's are really nice as they offer clean camping and often breakfast for little money.
A pic of a cleaner bike at the KOA in Dillon MT

180702881-M.jpg

more coming.....

July 17

Awoke to a little rain, but it was so dry in Dillon MT that it mostly evaporated on impact.
As I was sitting at the breakfast table enjoying a pile of pancakes and black coffee, a gentleman sat down next to me and asked the usual questions about the trip, where I was from and all that. We talked for a bit and when he found out that I am single, he looked at me and said he wished he was too. Until I saw his kids I had no idea... Amazing that total strangers open up about their penned up feelings. I felt sorry for the guy, his wife was nice but those kids ...........the horror, the horror (insert Marlon Brando's voice from Apocalypse Now):D
It was his own fault for having the brats the way they were, but still....
Anyway at 9 AM I hopped on the bike and fled the scene at the table...:lol

Today was the dreaded slab ride on I-15 and I-70. Riding like that requires a 'zombie' mode as you have to pay attention all the time with all the cagers around you. In Salt Lake City UT the temps were 107 F on the road. My little 'neck-cooling-thingie' ( it is a gel packed neck tie) worked well to keep my brain from completely frying ,although some of you may say it already has.. :D
Although I did bring my cooling vest I really didn't need it as my pressure suit was cool enough. Some random shots in MT.

180703052-M.jpg

180703104-M.jpg

The UT part of the trip has no photos as it was slab riding :snore
I must say that I-70 between Salina and Green River UT are really beautiful though. I ended up in Green River after 620 miles.

Tomorrow I was of to Grand Junction and Paonia for the TOR rally:clap :clap

July 18th

Since it was only 177 miles to Paonia CO, I decided to change the oil at Grand Junction BMW.
These guys are great as they let me do the whole thing myself. All I needed was an oilpan.
They couldn't give me tools, but I had enough to start a shop :rofl. I guess that the lawyers got to them too with their liability BS :cry

Anyway, I bought fresh fluids from them for the engine, tranny and FD. The new fluids made me and the bike happy. The FD fluid was good as I had changed that on the road one extra time anyway to keep an eye on things.... :deal
After this interlude I rode to Paonia bought a bottle of rum!! ( I don't drink when riding) and pitched the tent for the next 4 days.
Seeing familiar faces all over, this is the rally I like a lot.
Didn't ride at all for the next 4 days, as at this time I had ridden 12K miles and I needed a mental and physical break.
This trip was becoming work :rolleyes :lol

180708316-M.jpg

180708458-M.jpg

180708544-M.jpg

Tents popping up like mushrooms...

180707927-M.jpg

There were good bands playing this weekend and I have some pics of the best one...

180716356-M.jpg

180716680-M.jpg

180717426-M.jpg

180717381-M.jpg

Did I mention I like this rally????

July 19, 20 and 21

As I said before I didn't ride these couple a days but did some maintenance on my bike.
I started by sleeping in and that was welcome as the adult beverage purchased the previous day did its job... :drink No headache or anything like that, just a deep sleep... :deal
Anywhoo. I got up and decided the check the valves on my bike as an AM project....
This turned into an event as there are always folks around wanting to learn a new trick or two. I ended up with about 5-6 onlookers who all wrench them selfs, but out of curiosity just wander over :D , and add their own opinions to the whole show. Y'all know those cracks from the peanut gallery :stick
It is really cool to attend rallies for this reason, because you can always learn a thing or two. I did the job and the proof of doing it right is starting the bike up.
Well I did, and my bike purred like a happy kitten. :cat
This whole 'event' resulted in one gentleman asking me if I could look at his bike as it was noisier than mine.
I did that a day or so later and his adjustments were.... let's say a bit tighter than I would have set them.
Actually he had feeler gages that looked like pretzels....
No folks, I don't mention names here out of respect and keeping the peace. :rofl
The party continued with everyone having a great time..

Some friends on the dance floor.

180717219-M.jpg

Still more on the way....:deal

July 22nd

Today was going to be a short ride as it was only 77 miles to Gunnison. I took the West Elk Loop and it was just a nice easy day.
The following photos are all from the West Elk Loop.

180722001-M.jpg

180722058-M.jpg

180722128-M.jpg

180722185-M.jpg

180722255-M.jpg

180722402-M.jpg

That day I pitched the tent at the Gunnison KOA as this is a very nice place to stay for a day or two.
At this point in my trip I decided to attend West Fest rather than ride around again in an area I spent 2 weeks in last summer. Not that that would be bad but new territory is what a trip is all about too and who knows what characters I was about to meet there.. :lol
I stayed two nights as I really wanted to go to Tincup and do the Alpine Tunnel road as last year I got rained,snowed and sleeted on and had few pics to show for it.

More to come...

July 23

Today I hopped on the bike to Tincup, Alpine Road and surrounding area.
A leasurely 112 mile loop.

Alpine Tunnel Road.

180744395-M.jpg

Alpine Tunnel Road with view into valley below

180744472-M.jpg

Rubble on Alpine..A very tough winter made the road rougher than last year.

180744844-M.jpg

Marmots on the road

180745139-M.jpg

Views..

180745422-M.jpg

Alpine Tunnel restored building

180745681-M.jpg

The collapsed tunnel entrance.

180746209-M.jpg

180746384-M.jpg

The wall.

180746505-M.jpg

The road above the wall.

180746943-M.jpg

Cumberland Pass toward Tincup.

180747008-M.jpg

Views from Cumberland Pass.

180747085-M.jpg

180747128-M.jpg

The road into town.

180747190-M.jpg

180747245-M.jpg

Taylor Lake.

180747310-M.jpg

180747342-M.jpg

Stitch job by a friend....
183914022-M.jpg

Like I said it was a day of pictures and easy riding...

More coming up...

July 24

Early in the morning I awoke to gnawing sounds behind my tent and it was a beaver busy at work. I never saw the critter as he dove in the water every time we aimed a light in it's direction... My neighbors being the other part of 'we' , trying to see nature at work.
It was really neat but I wish I had seen it. There are so many of them around as is evident by all the creeks being "under construction".
Anyway today I was off to Durango on the CO 550 or million $$ Hwy.
I had been here before in 2004 but had forgotten how nice it really is past Ouray toward Silverton. It is one of those 'oh my God' roads that permeate the West.
In Silverton I had lunch ($10 ,= burger :bluduh )and rode on under the threat of thunder and lightning, toward Durango.
I picked a campground in Durango that also had the narrow gauge RR running right behind my tent. I didn't know about the 'choo choo' , untill I rode over the tracks and heard a whistle blowing.
Some pic's

180755249-M.jpg

180755487-M.jpg

180755959-M.jpg

180758575-M.jpg

I just spent one night here and the next day I took off for Sipapu :clap

More to come.....

Great ride, and great report!

I'm jealous of your GS special edition paint job--it's the best looking Adventure out there!

Thanks guys!!! :D

July 25,26 etc....

After a rainy and windy night through which I slept like a baby , I got up and packed a dry tent as only the wind had remained.
The road to Sipapu was amazing with the CO 160 being nice, the 84 beautiful and the 518 very cool.
Taos was like Key West with a busy main street filled with tourists. The difference being the adobe structures.
Not my cuppa tea but it has it's own character. (Small explanation here for those who don't know me; I live in a tourist area and despise the fact that the character of a small town changes to the point of becoming a gaudy tourist trap. It is NOT what most locals want, but is forced upon us by big corporate investors who understand nothing of an area they want to "develop"):cry

Deciding not to ride after getting into Sipapu, as I still needed to get home some 2K miles away, proved to be wise as a few unfortunate attendees found out the hard way....
I had thus far not dropped the bike and didn't want to press my luck.
So finally I was going to meet the faces behind the anonymous handles on the ADVrider .com board. :buds
I wasn't disappointed. The camaraderie was amazing and uplifting to witness.
Anyone that needed help was selflessly taken care off by whoever was nearby. It seems to be a theme at all rallies I have been too.:buds
One disappointing thing about West Fest is that it is too short!!!
Well here are some of the pics....

Early arrivals....

180766948-M.jpg

My own set up. I didn't budge the bike as I decided to hang out for a few days.

180767036-M.jpg

180767107-M.jpg

My new buddies Scott on the left and Frank on the right.

180767182-M.jpg

GSDave's clone copy of my GSAdv

180767263-M.jpg

The most photographed birds in NM

180767756-M.jpg

Food!! :eat Excellent food was cooked all weekend! I gained weight :D

180768180-M.jpg

Augie, Scott and Frank saluting in the appropriate ADV way.. :nyah

180782463-M.jpg

Getting busier :clap

180782348-M.jpg

Repair after a ride in the mountains...

180782545-M.jpg

Trying to help this fellow rider out on the way home. His bike was beyond roadside help....He took it well....:D

180785516-M.jpg

In the end I rode 14500 miles in 5 1/2 weeks and had an absolute blast.
Will I do this again?? Alaska probably not. I don't regret one single mile ridden, but the lower 48 have so, much to offer that riding that kind of distance is not really needed to meet cool people and see beautiful scenery.
The more I travel, the more I realize that people are basically the same everywhere. We all want friends, family and happiness and we all need the same basics of life. What we do for other people is what defines our lives and makes us human. People will never be remembered for how much material possessions they owned in life, but for what they did for others. Travel, IMHO, brings the best out of people.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Back