• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200S owners

L

larrydk

I've noticed not many R1200S owners on the site. I would like to hear some input about the bike, the ride, the problems, etc.

No problem here

So far no problem with mine. Runs like a top but then I am not an Iron Butt rider and tend to ride it in a more conservative fashion than it was designed.

Have Jesse bags and the bike is a champ.

Taking it to the Finger Lakes Rally this weekend and just got back from Salty Fog rally in Nova Scotia.

Maybe no news is good news :dance

Have Jesse bags and the bike is a champ.

you have an R1200S with jesse bags paul:stick

believe it or not, i saw a R1100S with jesses on it about 4 miles from the Rally this summer

looked really cool but i'm curious about clearance

I've had mine 1 week. I love it. It's the most sport bike like bike I've ever had, but I feel like I could ride it for many miles at a time. I like that it's light and handles, and I like the boxer engine. And I think it's the nicest looking bike bmw makes at the present.

Enjoyed an R1100S for five years. Sold it for an R1200S last autumn. There's a special thoughtfulness with these bikes. In a way they are the thinking person's sporting ride. Can hang with anything on the fun roads and it can take you to the next time zone for more of the same. The Ohlins factory option takes an already confident ride to another level. Never a reliability problem with the 11S. Same with the 12S.

Subjectively, believe the appearance is top shelf. The underseat exhaust combined with a single-sided swingarm spinning a deep dish rear wheel is mesmorizing to behold... especially for those following. One doesn't see many of these bikes. Personally, kinda like this. In the back of my mind however is a hope BMW continues the model despite low volume. BMW doesn't produce many of them. My dealer would like to order more but can't get any. There hasn't been an R1200S on his sales floor all summer. It really is a special bike and those owning one know it to be so.

r1200snturk.jpg

grown-up bike

I keep telling everyone it's my first "grown-up" bike. After numerous jap bikes and Ducs I settled on the R1200S. It's the first bike I've ever owned that I just want to go ride.

Wife and I have been going on trips using it as a sport tourer, I put a Garmin Zumo on it and attach a "Race-Pack" for longer trips.

Will change the oil in about two weeks at the 3000 mile mark.

Any advice on Synthetic vs BMW regular grade?

This Spring, webBikeWorld posted an excellent "how-to" on the subject of properly breaking-in a new motorcycle engine, to include a discussion about oil and oil changes. Having followed the author's advice, and highly pleased with the results, I'd recommend adopting his method and procedure.

The direct web link is: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm Hope this helps!

Last edited:
GREAT Bike!

Unfortunately this bike has not experienced great sales success - but it is a great bike! In the last few years I have owned a R1150GS, R1200C Phoenix, K1200GT, R1100S, K1200RS and a R1200GS Adventure. I have also owned or currently own various Yamaha R1's, a Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, a Yamaha FJR 1300 and a Honda Valkyrie. My BMW inventory currently includes a XChallenge and the R1200S. The long list of bikes I've owned illustrates the challenges of bike addiction but is also meant to shed some light on the breadth of exposure I've had to various machines. I will eventually have my inventory whittled down to one machine - and it will be the R1200S. This bike handles very well in the twisties (in fact I can ride it faster than my R1), it is supremely stable (never feels like it will punish your riding weaknesses), has power where and when you need it in the real world and it can take you from here to there with more comfort than any other sport(ish) bike on the market. Most importantly, this bike just makes me want to ride. If you ride a lot of slab or two-up - this probably isn't the machine for you. It makes too many compromises for the sport equation in the category. However, if your average riding days include a mix of slab and secondary twisties (less than 350 miles per day), and you want to do that riding at above average pace in above average style, the R1200S does not have any competition (IMHO). :clap

:dance As per the others, a definite vote for the R1200s. It is a motorcycle for refined tastes. I go for day and weekend trips mostly but did get out this year to the Cabot Trail. Previously owned a 01 VFR. The S, is absolutely fantastic. I would not hesitate to take it on a week long trip. The ergos will surprise you. On my VfR, I had heli bars, and even with the lower stock bars on the S, I find it more comfortable. It is supremely balanced, wind pressure, screen height, and also a tank that you can squeeze to properly balance yourself. I plan to ride cross the country on it. The ONLY thing is the seat. You will feel you have sat on a wedge. It's for hanging off, not for sport touring. Looking to get that done this winter. Otherwise it's absolutely top shelf. (What other sports bike has the character, looks, sound, heated grips and available hard luggage?) You need some miles and experience to appreciate this ride for what it is. Cheers.

I bought my 2007 R1200S as a Christmas present to myself. I love it!

My last few mounts include R1, ZX10R, Tuono 1000R (many, many more if I go back further). This is my first BMW. When I saw this bike (a friend bought one), I just could not get it out of my mind. I had to own one and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Mine is yellow with Ohlins, wide rear wheel, heated grips, ABS option. This one is definitely a keeper. I can ride it all day long (did a 500 mile day last ride) and just keep rolling.

Too bad it is not a more popular model, but then it's nice to have something you don't see everyday. Any others out there in Dallas area?

thanks for the link.

Everytime I pull in the garage I see my "s" and wifes bike just sitting there. The winters seem to get longer and longer and our tolerance for cold less and less.

Looking forward to retiring in 15 years:whistle

Everytime I pull in the garage I see my "s" and wifes bike just sitting there. The winters seem to get longer and longer and our tolerance for cold less and less.

Reminds me of the definition of "cold". It is when the temperature is below your age :).

Jack Frost

Reminds me of the definition of "cold". It is when the temperature is below your age :).

No wonder I've been feeling so childish, lately. With temps approaching the single digits here in Denver (Fs not Cs), been happily commuting back and forth the 15 miles on my R-1200S.

Clearly, that's one way to get a smile frozen to your face, since I don't use electrics. Parked outside during the day, I'm still amazed how quickly it jumps to life at the quick push of a button. :thumb

J.K. :wow

R12S Wonderful

I add my endorsement to the rest. Fantastic bike. Got mine after my ÔÇÿ94 R11RS wire harness burned (also owned and K75S, and K11RS). After waiting 3 months plus for a new harness, I saw my Black R12S on the show room floor on one of my weekly "when will I get my bike back visits". Test road it the next day and was wowed.

Ditto wide rear tire, Ohlin suspension comments. This bike is planted and scoots. Rear tire is good for ~ 2500 mi, front goes to 3,500, at least the way I ride.

Power band is wide and flat. No need to shift, just twist. But shifting is fun, and the transmission is such a huge improvement over the R11's ÔÇô good riddance to the BMW box-o-rock transmissions. I can run my local mountain twisty (Mt Lemon, Tucson AZ) in any gear from 2nd to 6th depending on how much I want to terrorize the tourists.

Added a Remus exhaust (supplied by my bide as a Christmas gift) and now it sounds as good as it looks. Removable baffles give some control on volume.

Also added a Marsee Mimi-Max strapped to the rear seatlet for storage on necessities, as under seat storage if a joke. They should have nixed the passenger seat and provided some storage, at least as an option.

I road a R12RT rental recently and was unimpressed with the detached feel and comparative lack of power. I donÔÇÖt understand why the more powerful R12S engine didnÔÇÖt find its way in to the RT and ST. It is tremendously tractable and possesses no peaky or finicky traits that would be offensive in a touring bike, and would it make both bikes more competitive, and more importantly more fun.

I have an R1200S and just joined the forum

I hear a lot of good things about the R1200S. I just got one last June after a test ride and am loving it. I have made about 8,000 miles and enjoy every second. it is so much fun. It is so easy to ride and handles the curves great. Taking it cross country in three weeks. I have saddle bags on it and we changed out the handle bars a bit too. I have a communication system on it, a radar detector (valentine) and sirius radio. Only riding three years but have had a Yamaha VStar 650, Harley Road King and my husband rides a Yamaha FJR (which is also really a great ride but too heavy for my taste)... we also have a Yamaha Roadliner which is like a freight train. Great on the long stretches. I ride about 200 miles on my R1200S each weekend and commute to work as well. Great bike, really love it. Makes me want to take up the racing sport but no tracks down here in south Texas. Cheers~ Serena;)

My r1200s

here is mine:

Attachments

• DSC023032.jpg
    DSC023032.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 124
"Have Jesse bags and the bike is a champ.
Well, I can't say for sure, but I saw Paul at Max's BMW the other day on his GS with Jesse bags. I know he also has a KS or KGT and a 650, as well, but I've never seen him on an S.

Anyway, I have an '07 S with ABS, wide rear wheel and Ohlins. The bike is the most precise peice of machinery I've ever ridden. It is smooth, powerful (for a boxer twin) and handles unbelievably. I had an 1100S and loved it, too, but this one goes even further. Except for the seat, once I get on the bike, I don't want to get off. I've done a 300 mile day on it (with a seat cushion) and find the ergos surprisingly comfortable, testimony to the care with which the engineers crafted this machine's design.

I think people formulate opinions based on spec sheets and hearsay when it come to things like desin and comfort on a motorcycle. Or, they buy one and immediately start swapping out stock risers or lower the pegs or replace the windshield with a "touring" windshield. I'm 6'2" and am absolutely comfortable with this bike. Part of the design is for the wind to support the body when in motion.

Back