• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Problem with shifting into neutral?

G

gato

Hey guys, sometimes when I start my bike and try to shift to neutral it will not find neutral for some reason. It only goes between 1st and second. After many repeated attempts I am able to finally get it into neutral, but sometimes this can take 20 minutes.

Try letting the clutch out a bit until the bike starts to move, then pull it back in and gently shift it into neutural. this usually works. BTW, is the clutch adjusted to spec?

Which bike??

Hey guys, sometimes when I start my bike and try to shift to neutral it will not find neutral for some reason. It only goes between 1st and second. After many repeated attempts I am able to finally get it into neutral, but sometimes this can take 20 minutes.

Model/Year??

I've been riding BMW's since 1970, they all do this. The bike is training you. Fiddle with the clutch when finding neutral, it's a matter of feel. It shouldn't take 20 mins, if it does you need a LOT of training or something else is wrong.

That's not so bad

Wait until you shift from 1st to 2nd and it goes to neutral. Especially in front of some of those American bike riders who ride around trying to look like something.

Karma got back at me for laughing on one of those guys who killed his bike at a light and it wouldn't start. I lifted my face shield to let him hear me. Karma can be a bad thing. :)

Randy Kasal

Why not retrofit the new clutch parts BMW has developed to address this recognized problem? See attachment.

Attachments

• 21 002 07 (031) F650 Poor Clutch Disengagement.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 19
Back