• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT stronger windshield bracket needed

dmushol

I have read and heard of many broken stock windshield brackets on the R1200RT with Cee Bailey windshields. I don't know if this happens with other brands of windshields or not. At the recent Stanley Stomp rally in idaho a rider mentioned he ran into someone selling replacement billet machined windshield brackets that will stand up to the apparent increased load from the Cee Bailey etc. windshields.

Of coursde I didn't get a name, this person didn't have a name and I have been unable to find anything on the internet about anyone making such a replacement bracket.

Does anyone know of a person or company making a stronger replacement windshield bracket for the R1200RT?

I guess if the stock bracket is made stronger something else down the line might fail. It seems we are learning why the R1150RT was heavier. It was also stronger. Oh well, that is the price of progress I guess.

There's an opportunity here for someone handy in a machine shop. I know several members of the Chicago Region club who would buy a stronger bracket immediately. The potential market would be anyone who buys a replacement windshield for the R1200RT.

I really don't like the way BMW keeps knowledge of problems with their bikes top secret.

Is there anyone else not happy with the new cheesy horn on the 2007 R1200RT? That bike has for years had a very good and loud horn. No more. Mine has a single disk cheap little Euro beep beep type horn. It is good in a parking lot if there is no other noise. Other than that it is useless. Now I have to spend more money to give my $18,000 premium touring bike a reasonable horn. I bought the parts from the 2006 model and now have to pay someone to wire it up for me. They had a perfectly good horn on that bike and now they put a miserable one on there.

I called BMW NA to complain and they were of no help whatsoever. It was a waste of time. They wouldn't help with any advice or help in fitting a horn from the previous year model. thanks BMW/NA.

At the 600 mile service the dealer informed me of the service bulletin out on the final drive lube and replaced the "never needs replacement for life" final drive lube with a heavier weight synthetic lube. No replacement for ever has changed to drain it at 600 miles and every 12,000 miles thereafter. And they didn't put a drain plug on the thing.

Thanks for any help in locating a stronger windshield bracket.

Dennis
Chicago Il

Actually, someone has done exactly what you describe, and is making replacement upper windshield arms and selling them. I ordered a set not because my arms were broken but because I am running a CB +3+3 windshield and was afraid the factory arms would break when I was away from home on a trip. The replacements are well made and take about 30 minutes to install unless you drop one of the circ-clips down into the fairing in which case it will take about 4 hours. (don't ask how I know that)

The contact info for the replacements is:

Don Westra
West Tool & Design inc.
1220 North Tower Road
Fergus Falls, MN 56537
218-739-4990
Don@westtoolff.com
www.westtoolff.com

They are well made from 2024 Aluminum and powder coated black, and obviously stronger than the oem brackets. The cost is $40.00 each which is less than the factory brackets cost.

Dan Forker

At the 600 mile service the dealer informed me of the service bulletin out on the final drive lube and replaced the "never needs replacement for life" final drive lube with a heavier weight synthetic lube. No replacement for ever has changed to drain it at 600 miles and every 12,000 miles thereafter. And they didn't put a drain plug on the thing.
The dealer may have done you a disservice if he used a "heavier weight" synthetic lube. There is a Service Information Bulletin from BMW-NA on the lube to use - and it's a GL5 75W-90. The euro bikes get a special Castrol lube - which appears the same as a GL5 lube. I sort of suspect you misunderstood the dealer or the dealer misinformed you.

Also - nothing has been documented on BMW recommending a more frequent fluid change interval, if you have any documentation besides the dealer telling you so - please help out and pass it along.
Thanks for any help in locating a stronger windshield bracket.

Dennis
Chicago Il

Westra Tool Co.

Reference the after-market windshield brackets, especially when using a larger-than-stock windshield, a few comments.

I have been using a Cee Bailey windshield for two years now, which by most standards, is 'huge.'

I ordered it several inches wider and several inches taller, to acommodate my height, rain protection and my enjoyment of a 'calm air zone' when riding.

The original BMW struts held this windshield for 1 1/2 riding seasons before one of them snapped, revealing that they are made of nothing better than pressed 'pot metal.'

I ordered a new set from Don Westra by phone (seems to work better than trying the internet route for ordering), and they arrived within days.

I had them dealer-installed and you could do pushups off my windshield now. An excellent product - highly recommended.

I put the original brackets in my tool kit as 'spares,' should I suffer an unlikely component breakdown on some future long-distance ride.

Good Luck!

I've replaced the upper (Westra) brackets already and will install the (1OVER - Beemer Boneyard) lower brackets as soon as the temps warm up a bit. Once done, I will have no worries with the my Ztechnik VStream in the fully raised position!

I've replaced the upper (Westra) brackets already and will install the (1OVER - Beemer Boneyard) lower brackets as soon as the temps warm up a bit. Once done, I will have no worries with the my Ztechnik VStream in the fully raised position!

:thumb

A std V Stream does not put anywhere near as much pressure on the brackets as a Cal Sci or CeeBailey- the lower V shape is the reason. If you've ridden one is winds with these shields its not hard to tell the difference.
Still, if you want ultiate strong the BB and Westra items are well made stuff. I use the Westra item as upper only and have not had any issues in a few seasons with lower failures.

Looks like Beemer Boneyard is now selling the revised version of the 10OVR upper brackets. Make sure you're brackets look like the ones posted on their website. If for some reason you get a set that don't follow the curvature of the OEM brackets, they will hit the plastic on the nacelle in the full down position, and flex the wind deflectors (on my '09... I don't remember if the Camheads have the wind deflectors or not).

As a side note, the owner of 10OVR contacted me through this forum after I received the older version of his brackets and had the issue with them contacting the nacelle. He quickly sent me a pair of the new brackets, which fit flawlessly and work without touching the plastic at all.

I replaced my brackets this past weekend. While most will say that it is related to the oversized shield, I have another theory. The upper brackets are designed to break away under mild pressure.
Mine were so snug with extremely tight tolerances around the connecting pin.
I believe mine broke because the lack of lubrication eventually seized or severely hampered the upper arm, and the motor pressure just broke the arm. Replacements have more tolerance around the pivot pin, plus some lube.

Were we supposed to be lubricating these?

That is my theory, maybe a combo of both.

Back