• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Travel companions

S

Steve Lake

This will be my first BMOA rally and the first rally I have attended since a British Motorcycle Federation gig on the Isle of White in 1974. I would be interested in hearing from anybody that wants to get together for the ride up there from the Portland/Vancouver area. I plan on camping once there and would like any feed back on where the best places to set up are. Any tips on what to bring and what to leave at home as regards to "kit" would be welcome.
Is it better to plan on cooking or are the good food vendors?
I hope these do not sound like dumb questions but I have recently returned to the bike scene after being away for twenty five years.

Hey Steve,

Welcome to the 'MOA, glad you decided to join us. You may have better chances of finding some riding partners a little closer to rally time. I would also suggest taking a look for a chartered club in your area.

Some of your questions have been answered in this thread.

Regarding your kit if you take a look around the forum (perhaps search for "tents" ect) you will find some excellent information.

There is also a camping section of the 'MOA website which should provide plenty of ideas.

See you in Spokane.

Best,

Steve, if you'll PM or email me and tell me which word processor you use, I'll send you a motorcycle trip packing list I've developed over the years. I have it both MS Word, and WordPerfect.

No claim for originality. I got the idea from an article in the ON magazine six or seven years ago.

And ditto on Rob's comment -- welcome to MOA and the boards.

Rick

Rick,

Any possibility of making that document a text document and attaching it to this thread? If you'd like, I can convert it to a PDF document and hang that up instead.

dave

Uhhh. Yeah.

You lose me quickly when you start talking about some aspects of documents. Are you talking about something to where anyone can download it?

It is in columns in both formats (Word, and WP). So how about I send it to you in both formats and you fix it so everyone can get a copy?

Courtesy of RickM, here's a good list of items to bring camping.

The file is in .pdf format, which can be opened with a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. The reader is free at here.

Attachments

• camping list.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 189
Changes

Looking back over that list this morning, I realized how the world has changed since I first put it together.

I deleted "Pager" before I sent it to Dave a while back. Back when I first did the list, I carried a pager, but had to find a phone someplace if the pager went off.

Then, this morning I noticed:

- Telephone
- Telephone List

My phone list is now kept in my phone, so I can scratch the paper list.

But I added an item for my own use: "Accident Packet."

I plan to make that a simple zip lock bag with "Accident Info" written in large letters on the outside, and it will contain a page or two of information for EMT's or others who might have to treat me -- including contact numbers for family, etc.

Rick (am I getting older, or what) in AL

Re: Changes

RickM said:
But I added an item for my own use: "Accident Packet."

I plan to make that a simple zip lock bag with "Accident Info" written in large letters on the outside, and it will contain a page or two of information for EMT's or others who might have to treat me -- including contact numbers for family, etc.

Rick (am I getting older, or what) in AL

CycleGadets offers a package like that "free" with any order. I have toyed with the idea of a birght orange/hi viz yellow envelope with same information.

The other thing I have on order is a set of dog tags for ID purposes.

Ear Tag

Brad
The local Farm N Fleet has some excellent ear tags

Z.:bliss

Back