• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I need ideas for 3 days of riding in Utah in September.

D

DEANCOX

I posted a few months back about this, but my location has changed.

I am going to Utah to ride the week of Sept. 17. I am coming from LA and meeting a friend who is coming from Loveland, CO. The area in Utah where the 15 and 70 meet is approximately 1/2 way between us. We will have 3 days for riding in the area. We can camp or motel stay. I am riding a K75 and he is riding a Suzuki Cavalcade.

How would you use 3 days of riding in Utah at that time of year?

Is this a good area to stage day rides from? Where should we go to see good stuff? Should we make a loop and see the state's cool areas.
? Or..........?

Thanks in advance!

i really enjoyed riding US40 east of salt lake city a few years back.

this is the time of year when you start having to watch the temps in the higher elevations.

ian

12 - grand escalante, is a MUST
Burr Trail (but turn right at the T - it's gravel for a stretch but well traveled)
14 up and over from 89 towards Cedar City is nice (neat view of Zion from the top)
North Rim of the grand canyon is a must
24 east from Torrey is nice
Cafe Diablo in Torrey is a GREAT restaurant (not cheap) if it's open
72 south from 70 to Loa was called "sweeper madness" by one friend
The roads west of Moab into the canyonlands have some freakishly gorgeous vistas, IIRC

And then there are the parks. Bryce might be my favorite for hiking.

12 - grand escalante, is a MUST

Yes. Escalante Outfitters on the 12 has nice camping or a bunch of really cool, reasonablly priced cabins you can stay at.

If you go into Moab (Arches National Park) be sure to go to the Moab Diner, order anything on the menu, and ask to have it smothered (chili verde sauce). You're welcome in advance.

I agree with everything else that's been said. In addition, I would suggest the following:

64483428-M.jpg

Red Canyon

64483306-M.jpg

Zion.

64483378-M.jpg

Asphalt snakes. In California, these are like glue. In Utah, as it turns out, they are like axle grease. Be advised: tread lightly.

64483589-M.jpg

Escalante Outfitters

64489343-M.jpg

Hwy 12.

64489425-M.jpg

Again, I say, Hwy 12.

64489418-M.jpg

GREAT breakfast just outside of Escalante. Pricey and gourmet and worth every penny.

64501389-M.jpg

A trip to Arches National Park is worth it, just to see this formation alone. Heh, heh, he said, "formation."

64504303-M.jpg

If you get down to Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods is worth seeing, especially if you're a fan of old westerns.

I would tell you to enjoy your trip, but I know that you will.

Yes. Escalante Outfitters on the 12 has nice camping or a bunch of really cool, reasonablly priced cabins you can stay at.

If you go into Moab (Arches National Park) be sure to go to the Moab Diner, order anything on the menu, and ask to have it smothered (chili verde sauce). You're welcome in advance.

Again, I say, Hwy 12.

64489418-M.jpg

GREAT breakfast just outside of Escalante. Pricey and gourmet and worth every penny.

I believe Hell's Backbone Grill is in Boulder on Route 12. Since all of Boulder is about two blocks, it's not hard to spot. About a block south of Hells Backbone if you make a left on to Burr Trail you will also find this family owned breakfast spot as well.

Long story, but this family gave up being Mormons and because of that, the town won't let them put up a sign for their restaurant on Route 12. Instead there is a little arrow stuck on a wooden fence that says "Restaurant" on it. I was sent here by locals a couple of years ago and had a great breakfast. More of a bacon and eggs place.

Attachments

• burr trail.JPG
    burr trail.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville is absolutly breathtaking with perfect road surface and no traffic.! Hwy 24 going west through Torrey and Route 12 as already mentioned is a winner. If you motel it in Torrey, Comfort Inn is new and clean plus you can park your bike right outside your door.

Don't rule out the Grand Canyon just over the border. If you've never seen it, the north end is spectacular. The road that leads to it is a federal Highway and is as smooth as glass with tons of sweepers. Take Alt 89 south from Kanab to Jacobs Lake and pick up 67 which only goes to the Grand Canyon north rim.

If you end up in Moab, Hwy 128 just north of town is incredible! One of my absolute favorites. It follows this beautiful river the whole way.

You might want to remember Randy's rule for Utah: If you see gas, buy it.

Let us know how it went once you get back.

I posted a few months back about this, but my location has changed.

I am going to Utah to ride the week of Sept. 17. I am coming from LA and meeting a friend who is coming from Loveland, CO. The area in Utah where the 15 and 70 meet is approximately 1/2 way between us. We will have 3 days for riding in the area. We can camp or motel stay. I am riding a K75 and he is riding a Suzuki Cavalcade.

How would you use 3 days of riding in Utah at that time of year?

Is this a good area to stage day rides from? Where should we go to see good stuff? Should we make a loop and see the state's cool areas.
? Or..........?

Thanks in advance!

What has been suggested already, is phenominal and the riding a blast :clap :clap . Have fun and indeed be aware of the tarsnakes.

PS: I "hate" you now, as I want to go there again too....:rofl :rofl :rofl

Last edited:
Hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville is absolutly breathtaking with perfect road surface and no traffic.! Hwy 24 going west through Torrey and Route 12 as already mentioned is a winner. If you motel it in Torrey, Comfort Inn is new and clean plus you can park your bike right outside your door.

Don't rule out the Grand Canyon just over the border. If you've never seen it, the north end is spectacular. The road that leads to it is a federal Highway and is as smooth as glass with tons of sweepers. Take Alt 89 south from Kanab to Jacobs Lake and pick up 67 which only goes to the Grand Canyon north rim.

If you end up in Moab, Hwy 128 just north of town is incredible! One of my absolute favorites. It follows this beautiful river the whole way.

You might want to remember Randy's rule for Utah: If you see gas, buy it.

Let us know how it went once you get back.

+ a million on this post. My trip on 95 was really memorable. 24 east of Torrey is gorgeous and fun, but watch the tar snakes. And 12 of course, it's been said and it's true.

I'll add, don't bother with any motels in the town of Escalante. Dumpy and Dumpier.

See if you can visit Bryce NP. It's not a drive-through thing. Get out and hike a bit.

I love motorcycling in Utah. It truly is God's country.

Dawn, DAWN :nono
Do you know what time of day that is ?
Wait and go at sunset, it will look like this.

Last edited:
I love motorcycling in Utah. It truly is God's country.

I was lucky enough to grow up there, so I know. The good news, Dean, is that 80% of the GREAT Utah riding is South and East of your meeting spot. The other 20% is fantastic, but there are a lot of straight roads to get there.

Coming from LA, forget the 15. Head toward Zion after Washington and meet your pal at the crossroads of Hwy 12 and US 89. Take a trip up to Panguitch lake and stay your first night in the Horizon Motel (friend of BMW and site of the Red Rock Rally) in Panguitch. You can hardly take a BAD road from there, but the great ones are already mentioned.

Other "tips": Parry Inn in Kanab, where movie stars used to stay when filming the John Ford westerns.
Kolob Resevoir, off I-15. You can take the road north, from somewhere around Virgin, or South from just south of Cedar City. "Kolob Road"
All three roads between I-15 and Panguitch are PHENOMENAL, as is the road from one UT 14 to UT 143 through Cedar Breaks, if it's open, and the "Mammoth Cave" road if it's not.
And finally, all the stuff in exteme SW Utah is great, but more for scenery than riding.

64501389-M.jpg

A trip to Arches National Park is worth it, just to see this formation alone. Heh, heh, he said, "formation."

If you're going to show off Utah body parts, might as well keep it fair and balanced.:stick

Attachments

• utah bp.jpg
    utah bp.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 197
Perfect recommendations

All are great ideas: 1. Moab area with Arches and Canyonlands through in Slick Rock and Deadhorse State Park. 2. Senic byways Utah 12 and 24 connecting to Bryce and Zion through in Red Canyon all great. 3. Southeast Utah with the Ferry across Lake Powell, Natural Bridge Mon., Moki Dugway etc,. Too many cool places but 3 days would be fun for the whole southern Utah. Enjoy.:clap

gpodzo
R1200RT
R1150GS
XR650L (White Rim Trail Machine)

I'm not sure if you're more interested in roads or sights, but my brother-out-law and I had four days to spend in Utah last August, and we can highly recommend Zion and Bryce. I don't know how the roads we took from SLC down there and back rate, but they weren't too bad.
These photos don't near do it justice.

Looking out from the weeping Wall in Zion, where 10,000 year-old water seeps out from a cliff face.
93396678-M.jpg

The Hoodoos in Bryce:
93396347-M.jpg

The route we took:
93391653-M.jpg

Story, video, and more photos here, if you're interested:
http://tnastravels.blogspot.com/2006_09_17_archive.html

Last edited:
This is great stuff everyone! I will post what we intend to do and the the actual results.

THANK YOU.

Hanksville and the Canyonlands area get my vote, too. But, if you friend is coming via Steamboat Springs, don't overlook the northern border country, around Vernal and the Flaming Gorge.

I got nothin'...cept this...

153419813-M.jpg

Right off of 70.

And this...CO National Monument (Near Grand Junction)...

155709079-M.jpg

This too is right off 70

155051028-M.jpg

One more. Goblin Valley...

155048986-M.jpg

This is great stuff everyone! I will post what we intend to do and the the actual results.

THANK YOU.

I am meeting up with 3 riding buddies from Seattle to do Utah during the same week in September. I drove some of these roads a few years ago in a car, and always thought it would be awesome to ride and camp through this country. I hope you don't mind if we poach some of these suggestions! Safe riding!

great riding

You can't go wrong any where along the Wasatch. From the Canyonlands in the south north to Flaming Gorge, Dinasour, the Uintas, Timpanogos, Ogden to Bear Lake canyons.

OK the trip is firming up.

It looks like we will meet in Salina just off I-70 on Tuesday night, 9/18.

Wednesday, we will the 89 and Alt-89 down across the AZ border and visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon and then back to Kanab for the night.

Thursday, we will take the 89 back to the 12, 12 to the 24, and 24 east to Hanksville.

Friday: we will take the 95 south to Blanding and then the 191 north into Moab.

Saturday, we will either mess around in Arches and Dead Horse, or part and go home. If we decide to take off for home, I am contemplating an IBA Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 Hours) in a loop that will take me east to Denver, North up into Wyoming and west and south to SLC and then blast back for home on the 15....but I probably am going to be in more of cruising mode rather than a dashing mode after a week of fun.

We shall see. Thanks for all of your info, it was a great help. I will bring a ride report back of course.

Back