• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

USA Today Features Gillette, WY

greenwald

Well, for the second year in a row, the cryptosporidian virus has infected the water in Gillette, WY, affecting primarily public pools, according to today's issue of USA TODAY.

When we all get there next year, bottled water and motel showers (not pools) would be the order of the day.

Combined with lack of shade, high (and limited) motel rates, and great distances before there is something besides open prairie (Black Hills, Devil's Head, Custer Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, etc.), it will certainly be a challenge to rival previous rallies.

Here's hoping the plus's will outnumber all minus's.

Well, for the second year in a row, the cryptosporidian virus has infected the water in Gillette, WY, affecting primarily public pools, according to today's issue of USA TODAY.

When we all get there next year, bottled water and motel showers (not pools) would be the order of the day.

Combined with lack of shade, high (and limited) motel rates, and great distances before there is something besides open prairie (Black Hills, Devil's Head, Custer Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, etc.), it will certainly be a challenge to rival previous rallies.

Here's hoping the plus's will outnumber all minus's.

You're a veritable fountain of positivity, aintcha?

I have uncovered a giant cover up by the MOA power brokers in regards to the West Bend rally...:nono

"According to a report by the Wisconsin Department of Natural resources, 11 Sheboygan County beaches were closed to swimming in a seven-week period this summer and another 25 advisories were posted for people to exercise caution while swimming. "

Why didn't someone from Sheboygan inform rally goers of this????

insert a giggling smilie

Paint it black whydontcha

You're a veritable fountain of positivity, aintcha?

Somebody from the Minnesota MOA branch thanked me for going there to check out the place and the riding, and that my preview had quelled any fears that Gillette was not a good site, and my response was well it won't last; somebody else with a goal of screwing up rally attendence would come along and mess it up for everybody...and guess what, HERE THEY ARE!

FYI for all of you...I drank the water, swam in the pool and came home WITHOUT GETTING AT ALL SICK. What I did get was hospitable dining, a huge welcome from the locals from the complex, and fantastic riding anywhere I went. I had a blast, and didn't want to leave.

1/2 day on the road before coming there, I rode 1000 plus miles throughout Colorado, and wished I would of had more time to ride another 1000 miles right there, as well as the Black Hills.

I think what I am reading in this post is pure blowing alarmist smoke. Hows the lake water in Sheboygan, anyway? Never had to close a beach?

Red

Last edited:
Tuesday, August 21
Gillette - Eighteen cases of the diarrhea-causing parasite cryptosporidium have been documented since mid-July among visitors to the Gillette city and Campbell County pools, the state surveillance epidemiologist said. Officials said inspections revealed no improper maintenance at the two pools. Last summer, at least 19 people were diagnosed with the parasite in Campbell and Crook counties

Some how I don't get the same alarmist response when I read the article instead of your spin of it.

Some how I don't get the same alarmist response when I read the article instead of your spin of it.
Because you're not making the obvious link between kids crapping in public pools and motorcycle rallies.

C'mon, man, get onboard the Gillette h8-train!

:fight

Because you're not making the obvious link between kids crapping in public pools and motorcycle rallies.

C'mon, man, get onboard the Gillette h8-train!

:fight

Help me out here, I'm from Minnesota.

A kid craps in a pool like kids crap in pools from here to Sheboygan. Other kids drink the pool water. Kids get sick.

The press warns the public, the pool boy adds more clorine sticks and shocks the hell out of the pool two days in a row Clorine level runs off the charts.... All is well.

Next week. it starts again kid craps in the pool. Other kids get sick......

PAGoldsby were you being facisious, or do you see somthing here that makes no sense?

Hell I don't know whos supporting this "theory" or who's being cute. There is no connection

Red

There is no connection

Red
I was being sarcastic. It seems to me that there is a vein of MOA members that have decided that Gillette = teh suck, and will go to great lengths to denigrate the selection.

If there is any connection, it's that the haters are the ones trying to crap in the pool.

Or how about a asteroid from outter space? Were on bikes here...where would we hide? Maybe in the pools...thats it, the pools!

Thanks for straigtening that out! It's karma you know? I was the first to heckle with my coyote butt post, so now it's up to me to defend my old homeland!

Wyoming and Coloraado you know are like sisters. Ones flashy with glitter and every dog in the county wants to mount her. WYO is like her sister, the quiet one with her hair pulled back...look a little closer, she's the one who can suck the cork out of the wine bottle and overhaul your bike while your asleep in her bed! Watch oyut Wyoming! I'm telling all your good stuff!

Red

"Me Thinks You Doth Protest Too Much"

Gee. The USA TODAY must have gotten it wrong, huh?! You know, a great many contributors to this Forum found fault with Gillette, and somehow, if you dress up my grandmother in a string bikini and smother her with Clinique perfume, she still looks like an old lady with wrinkles.

If Gillette has problems, let's all put our heads in the sand?

As for good 'ol Sheboygan, our beaches stink (littered with dead alewives), people here motor around like they all got a D- in Driver's Ed., and there is little to see or do.

But wait - Sheboygan wasn't ever a Rally Site, now was it. Now who is spinning.

Your analogies are stretched to the breaking point, and the excuse of making Gillette sound great because of certain routes to it is also wearing thin. Let's make Tiajuana our next Rally Site because of scenic roads within a couple of hundred miles? Please.

I'll give Gillette a visit, but......oh wait. Someone is slapping a "GILLETTE: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" bumper sticker on my truck. Gotta go!

Gee. The USA TODAY must have gotten it wrong, huh?! You know, a great many contributors to this Forum found fault with Gillette, and somehow, if you dress up my grandmother in a string bikini and smother her with Clinique perfume, she still looks like an old lady with wrinkles.

If Gillette has problems, let's all put our heads in the sand?

As for good 'ol Sheboygan, our beaches stink (littered with dead alewives), people here motor around like they all got a D- in Driver's Ed., and there is little to see or do.

But wait - Sheboygan wasn't ever a Rally Site, now was it. Now who is spinning.

Your analogies are stretched to the breaking point, and the excuse of making Gillette sound great because of certain routes to it is also wearing thin. Let's make Tiajuana our next Rally Site because of scenic roads within a couple of hundred miles? Please.

I'll give Gillette a visit, but......oh wait. Someone is slapping a "GILLETTE: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" bumper sticker on my truck. Gotta go!

Because we don't choose to moan and groan about what's probably going to be a great rally, we're putting our heads in the sand? :ha

I'll give you a little advice: if you do go to the rally, I suggest that you avoid Camp Beers and pretty much everyone. We'll make you laugh and smile and have a good time - something you apparently don't want.

No, USA Today did not get it wrong. Gillette had a problem and it was addressed, and yes it did happen the year before. What does that have to do with next year? A year ahead of time it tells me that the community pays attention and takes action.

What does this article have to do with the need to shower in the motel? Do you use public pools to bath in?

What does this article have to do with the public water system? Do you have specific recommendations for bottle water that is not just re-filtered city water?

Gillette, love it or leave, certainly not. I am just curious why you go out of your way to dump on it?

If Gillette has problems, let's all put our heads in the sand I concluded along time ago that Gillette was where it is, lets make the best. And I put my money where my mouth is and went there, took pictures, rode AND took more pictures.As for good 'ol Sheboygan, our beaches stink (littered with dead alewives), people here motor around like they all got a D- in Driver's Ed., and there is little to see or do.

But wait - Sheboygan wasn't ever a Rally Site, now was it.Just down the road is West Bend, and I had a great time, diodn't you? Now who is spinning.

Your analogies are stretched to the breaking point, and the excuse of making Gillette sound great because of certain routes to it is also wearing thin. many of those pics were taken at the 35 mile mark. How thin you want to go? Let's make Tiajuana our next Rally Site because of scenic roads within a couple of hundred miles?35, and 70 not hundereds Please.

I'll give Gillette a visit, but......oh wait. Someone is slapping a "GILLETTE: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" bumper sticker on my truck. Not me! My bumper sticker says all are welcome, please come enjoy! Gotta go!

Peace, I have a chill pill left that somebody gave me on line once..you want one?

Red

Last edited:
I'll give you a little advice: if you do go to the rally, I suggest that you avoid Camp Beers and pretty much everyone. We'll make you laugh and smile and have a good time - something you apparently don't want.

not to mention the cheapobeershitseum

Other news from Gillette

Man Travels 45 Days By Mule In Search Of A Job
August 21, 2007 1:01 p.m. EST

Gillette, WY (AHN) - Hearing that jobs pay better in Wyoming, a Minnesota man traveled 1,500 miles by mule - actually, two of them.

After losing his driver's license 10 years ago because of a hit and run, and spending time in jail for nonpayment of child support, Rod Maday had no choice but to ride his mule "into town" to look for work.

It took Maday 45 days in the summer's heat from his home town of Boy River, Minn. to Gillette, Wyo.

Ending his unique journey on a mule, Maday arrived at the Department of Workforce Services on Friday. He was attired in a torn shirt, dusty blue jeans, spurs and a cowboy hat.

Maday, who also has a missing finger on right hand, said he receives a small amount of money every month for his disability, which he uses to eat and sustain himself.

The unemployed traveler used to ride mules while he hunted for raccoons in Minnesota. He averaged 30 miles a day, but the most he ever traveled in one day was 70 miles.

According to AP reports, Maday left Gillette Saturday morning, riding west toward the Bighorn Mountains in search of a "ranch job or an outfitting job." Calling the mule his "best friend" Maday said he is "not getting rid of him for nothing."

Crypto is a protozoan, not a virus, and it can form a protective shell that prevents it from being killed quickly by chlorine at normal dosages.

There were 18 crypto outbreaks in 2006, including Illinois, Colorado, Louisiana, and South Carolina as well as Wyoming. There were at least two outbreaks this month in eastern Iowa.

There was a major outbreak a few years ago in the city of Milwaukee, which sources water from Lake Michigan. Many got ill, and some died. The water was chlorinated, but not adequately filtered (fine filtration removes Crypto).

A crypto outbreak in Gillette is no reason not to go there; an outbreak can happen anywhere. I have to admit I don't do much swimming in public pools anymore, tho...