• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just to make all us Hexheads feel better...

dwestly

You think its expensive taking your beloved Beemer in for service?

My wife and I just got back from our cross-country trip (FL to CA and back), and we took our respective bikes, my 1200GS and her Honda VFR800, in to the dealers for check-up, valve adjustment, etc. Par for the course, I shelled out about 300 clams for my GS for routine stuff and the valve adjustment. Tab on the VFR? How about $1,000 bucks for the valve adjustment alone (the rest was prepaid)...and that's about standard for the VFR 800 VTEC engine!

Before anyone asks, the VFR V-4 engine, with its 4 valves per cylinder (That's 16 valves inside, for those of us mathematically challenged) and variable valve opening timing, is just about the most complicated engine Honda has ever commercially offered. Its about an 8 hour job, plus you don't just adjust the valves, you replace the out of spec parts. At 16,000 miles the dealer (who is very respectable and we've known for awhile) had to do replacements on 9 of the 16. That was about $500 for parts alone.

But still, afterwards we found a reliable VFR fanatic that will do the job in the future for us for about $400, including parts.

You can all sleep better tonight....:)

Last edited:
You think its expensive taking your beloved Beemer in for service?

But still, afterwards we found a reliable VFR fanatic that will do the job in the future for us for about $400, including parts.

You can all sleep better tonight....:)

That does make me feel better...I adjust my GS for FREE!!!!
(not counting the beer)

I guess that makes those 'expensive' BMW less pricey in the long run... :clap
Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Hey Knick,
We had an awesome trip. Becky loved it! She's hooked on distance riding now, so we'll probably be taking more of these in the future. thanks for the link. We're headed up to TN this weekend to look at some property, but let us know when you're back from OKC, so we can hook up and do some riding!

Back