• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW 6 cyl Motorcycle

ripperfarms

Does anyone know the name or number of the 6 cyl motorcycle that BMW was developing in the 1970s.

They were going to produce it but then Honda came out with the Gold Wing so they dropped any production plans.

Thanks ..... Dave:bikes

OTL had an article on this last year, iirc, and the bike was a horizontally-opposed four, like the just-introduced Goldwing.

http://jeffdean2.home.att.net/asian.htm

"Not well known is the fact that in the early 1970s BMW, in Germany, was developing several engine designs. The M77 project involved liquid-cooled engines in several configurations. There were several twin-cylinder iterations ranging from 500cc to 750cc. Most interesting, however, is that the M77 project also included a 4-cylinder opposed engine design of 1,000cc! By 1975, that design was just about ready. But the motorcycle world was stunned by Honda when it introduced the motorcycle below. Sadly, that killed BMW's opposed four and we are left wondering how BMW would have designed a motorcycle with such an engine."

I came across a photo of a prototype Honda Goldwing in a Motorcyclist Magazine one day. It could answer the question of what BMW might have built. The article that accompanied the picture described the first engine that the Japanese were considering for the GW. It was a six cylinder 1000 cc engine. For the proof of concept vehicle, they used a stock BMW transmission, sub frame, fender, driveshaft/swing arm, final drive and rear wheel/hub combo (all /5 stuff if I remember correctly). It was finished off with a CB750 front end and gas tank. The seat might have been BMW too.

Most likely, this is the photo you saw:

Attachments

• prototype-2.jpg
    prototype-2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 152
How about a Wankel

CurtisMuseum0222.jpg

CurtisMuseum0232.jpg

This has to be the engine with the fewest moving parts.

Photos taken in the Glenn Curtis museum in Hammondsport, NY.

New one?

Not quite related, but I thought I heard they were working on a new 6 cyl. Anyone know?

Regards,

Randy Kasal

:bikes

Back