• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many have even BEEN to WYO.?;

I have found that crossing Wyoming is great, that is going from west to east.
I can't believe how fast I am going and how quiet it is.
And I wonder why are all the bikes going west are going so slow, and the riders laying down on their tanks.
:bolt

Michael --

Knock it off. Stop dispelling rumors about Wyoming. Try to encourage people to go to Colorado instead. Try, please try, to remind people about the heat, the hail, lack of water, etc... That toxic waste dump rumor was just starting to get going, don't stop that one. Downplay the wildlife. "We got some pesky varmints." See how that sounds colloquial but not really interesting? I'd like to get some rumors about terrible roads going. You know, Goldwing-eating potholes, shards of razor sharp obsidian lying in the thoroughfares, and the like. If you can't be part of the solution (to excessive tourism), keep your mouth shut.

-- Jack
Don't forget about the heavy cross-winds, especially during the hail storms. I was in Casper one day when the wind did NOT blow ! The locals were marking it on the calendar.

p.s. Don't shoo 'em into Colorado either ... they'll want to move here like so many others.

Michael --

Knock it off. Stop dispelling rumors about Wyoming. Try to encourage people to go to Colorado instead. Try, please try, to remind people about the heat, the hail, lack of water, etc... That toxic waste dump rumor was just starting to get going, don't stop that one. Downplay the wildlife. "We got some pesky varmints." See how that sounds colloquial but not really interesting? I'd like to get some rumors about terrible roads going. You know, Goldwing-eating potholes, shards of razor sharp obsidian lying in the thoroughfares, and the like. If you can't be part of the solution (to excessive tourism), keep your mouth shut.

-- Jack

Actually the rumours are true. We love our sheep: at least after the date...ya get to keep a sweater. Devils Tower IS actually a tree stump. Popo Agie is pronounced (poh poh aggie), There IS only one tree, I know cause I peed on it. There is nothing here but hookers or schoold marms(what school did YOU teach ma'am?) And the jackalopes ARE NOT maneaters...well, most of 'em aren't.

What was the saying about anyone from any state with the letter "W" in it are lunies?
Back to work for me. And I NOT a school marm. Hey! Its a living!
Michael A. Bailey
aka Scharppslicer
aka SwordofWords
87 K100LT
83 80RT
58 R69
77 Kaw. K90
EMS Intsructor
Fencing Coach (40 acres, stolen goods I've heard 'em)
and now Not a School Marm

Alive and well;

Wyoming sure sounds alive and well here, by biker standards. I'm fairly sure most riders have yet to set foot/tire inside the state, however and should. All here have had some good to say, mostly:). I've ridden there(WYO.) nearly every year for 27 years now, going somewhere across N.America and am glad to hear from like minded folks doing the same. Happy Trails,Randy13233 Thx.:clap

Actually the rumours are true. We love our sheep: at least after the date...ya get to keep a sweater. Devils Tower IS actually a tree stump. Popo Agie is pronounced (poh poh aggie), There IS only one tree, I know cause I peed on it. There is nothing here but hookers or schoold marms(what school did YOU teach ma'am?) And the jackalopes ARE NOT maneaters...well, most of 'em aren't.

What was the saying about anyone from any state with the letter "W" in it are lunies?
Back to work for me. And I NOT a school marm. Hey! Its a living!

Dang. This rally is sounding better by the second! :lol:

I have been in WY 2 times - once in Lander for the National Outdoor Leadership School back in 1971, and once to Jackson Hole to ski. I haven't been there on a bike, so next summer it, and the ride there, should be fun.

I have traveled Wyoming and I will do so again. It is a beautiful state.

I will not, however, suffer through any day, much less a hot, treeless, shade free July Day in the dirty industrial park named Gillette!

You know, back east, when you place an event 100 miles away from any worthwhile riding destination, we say ... you chose the wrong spot.

MOA leadership; you goofed this time.:dunno

I've never ridden in Wyoming, but I can tell you that there are some big trout in them rivers and streams.. Had a great time and a great trip 2 years ago to Saratoga and the Casper area. Drove up from Colorado. A most beautiful state. I can't see anyone complaining about the location.. Superb I say

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 314
another favorite photo!

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 312
.... 5 times. Nay sayers abound it seems but we'll be there..... hot 'n' grinnin'. Did you know that if you don't gas up in Gillette you can find it for $5 a gallon in Crazy Woman Creek? I wish even more now that I did get that gas in Gillette because then I would be able to share my perceptions of the place. However, we will enjoy our ride to and from the rally and look forward to being at the rally itself. In my opinion, what could be worse than Morganton? or Charleston?

NOTE: I would like to know more about that bear thing ..... U turns..... tourists feeding bears...... never had that happen but not keen on the possibility of communing with the critters so openly. What to do? -Bob

Last edited:
.... 5 times. Nay sayers abound it seems but we'll be there..... hot 'n' grinnin'. Did you know that if you don't gas up in Gillette you can find it for $5 a gallon in Crazy Woman Creek? I wish even more now that I did get that gas in Gillette because then I would be able to share my perceptions of the place. However, we will enjoy our ride to and from the rally and look forward to being at the rally itself. In my opinion, what could be worse than Morganton? or Charleston?

NOTE: I would like to know more about that bear thing ..... U turns..... tourists feeding bears...... never had that happen but not keen on the possibility of communing with the critters so openly. What to do? -Bob

A couple of times over the years, I ran across tourists feeding buffalo and elk but never bear in South Dakota in the Black Hills, but I don't think that’s going to happen in or around the rally site in Wyoming.

I preface my comments below by stating for some who object to the rally for practical reasons, I'm not referring to you, John/Big Delta and others, I recognize and respect your reasoning, but I am referring to others who have so staunchly tried to tear down the pride and beauty of Wyoming with their harsh and biting comments. Maybe it was the same for each rally site before this one I am new to BMWMOA and don't know. I can only reflect on this year, and my knowledge of the Wyoming area, the geography, the people and what I see as a great rally site; it simply dosen't make sense the group of BMW/MOA brothern who try so hard to tear up, paint black the 08 rally. What's up here? I

I understand that the very nature of Wyoming of wide open expanses, wild as the west is today must scare the be Jesus out of some that are so critical, and can't see what the 08 rally has to offer in Gillette. Once again, I am NOT speaking of you that have actual experience, and have an actual opinion, that's your biz, you make the call for you. The Cam Plex is great, and offers everything that this large group will need (except cheap hotels, I concede that one, and can't offer explanation or a fix. I concede that point. If you must have a moderate priced hotel I have no answer. What bothers me about the other "objections" is, as follows:

Here we are, each of us,setting on the very motorcycles made and designed for distance travel, yet a portion of us who are so negative on the location act like they are scared with having to travel 70 miles here or 40 miles there to reach "exciting "terrain! 35 miles brings great GS riding, hell 5 miles out of town brings great panoramas of the west, open clean views of the very land that the great Indian Nation fought so hard to retain and the earlier settlers battles the elements so hard to survive.

My opinion for what it's worth is Gillette will make a great rally site for 08
Red

Last edited:
Lol!!

I have traveled Wyoming and I will do so again. It is a beautiful state.

I will not, however, suffer through any day, much less a hot, treeless, shade free July Day in the dirty industrial park named Gillette!

You know, back east, when you place an event 100 miles away from any worthwhile riding destination, we say ... you chose the wrong spot.

MOA leadership; you goofed this time.:dunno

I couldn't put it any better.:thumb

I've been to Wyoming a dozen times or more and I really like most of it. But the one area I don't like is Gillette. I've spent time there (2 mos.). When I went to visit a buddy I was in the USMC with. I didn't like it then (by a lot!) I Don't think I'll like it next year either. So I choose not to go. Thats all one can do, right? I only have 4 weeks a year vacation, and I'll spend it off somewhere else. But I gotta love you cheer leaders that have been "through it" once and deem it "great". :scratch
I'm not going to run down the MOA and their choice, because its their committee and club and since I don't participate in the inner workings and logistics, I can only attend or not, but really, if you've only ever ridden through the area, you don't know what your talking about.:fight
Where's the '09 site? Pine Ridge S.D.? The Midway in Chicago? The Superdome in N.O.?

Sanders

P.S. Have fun, I hope all who attend do! And may your wheather be even better then '07's rally. The D.A. and I will attend our second international rally in '09 (we hope)

I couldn't put it any better.:thumb

I've been to Wyoming a dozen times or more and I really like most of it. But the one area I don't like is Gillette. I've spent time there (2 mos.). When I went to visit a buddy I was in the USMC with. I didn't like it then (by a lot!) I Don't think I'll like it next year either. So I choose not to go. Thats all one can do, right? I only have 4 weeks a year vacation, and I'll spend it off somewhere else. But I gotta love you cheer leaders that have been "through it" once and deem it "great". :scratch
I'm not going to run down the MOA and their choice, because its their committee and club and since I don't participate in the inner workings and logistics, I can only attend or not, but really, if you've only ever ridden through the area, you don't know what your talking about.:fight
Where's the '09 site? Pine Ridge S.D.? The Midway in Chicago? The Superdome in N.O.?

Sanders

P.S. Have fun, I hope all who attend do! And may your wheather be even better then '07's rally. The D.A. and I will attend our second international rally in '09 (we hope)

when I was a kid in 1968? 69? My dad had a friend in Wheatland, Wyoming not far from Gillette that we used to go see in the summertime. Dad and Hank would work on his truck, or set around and drink beer, and I would go off with the kids riding horses in what they called "the sandhills" outside their ranch. We probably would go there twice a year, make the drive from Ft. Collins at our ranch or Brush which is where I lived most of the year. I grew up iin eastern Colorado, actually a stones throw from Gillette in western distances, and alot of the same terrain and look to it except gillette is much higher in altitude.

Since being an adult (20 or 30 years), I have been around those parts ridden through those parts a a few dozen times since the mid 70s on my way to/through South Dakota.

Opinions, everyones got one, and all have right to voice them. You got two months to set your jaw on Wyoming I got my experience that helped me set an opinion of the area. I'm going to Wyoming.

-One of the "cheerleaders" your refer to in your post.

Last edited:
This will be my first rally

I'm planning on riding from Radford, VA to Gillette next year. I don't really care about the riding conditions around the venue. I am just thrilled about the ride that exists between me and getting there. Once I am in Gillette, I will be happy to park the bike and do some walking

did the western part of Wy this last july Yellowstone and so on, looking forward to next summer to do the eastern part,Gillette (BMWMOA)then Co(Paonia)top of the Rockies.

:bikes

Occasionally I go to Wyoming to study Russian thistle.

Aren't they beautiful? Nasty little plants but when they flower...they could develop their own "Lemon Tree" song.....Russian Thistle; Makes you whistle, Especially in your socks. Russian Thistle; those tiny li'l bristles, make you cranky if they're in you sock. The flower of the russian thisle is a beauty to behold, but ya tangle with 'em just once, four letter words you can't withhold.
Sorry. I thimk I hurt myself that time.
Michael A. Bailey
Scharppslicer
Swordofwords
K100LT
80RT
58 R69:buds

Back