• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many have even BEEN to WYO.?;

I have been in WY 2 times - once in Lander for the National Outdoor Leadership School back in 1971, and once to Jackson Hole to ski. I haven't been there on a bike, so next summer it, and the ride there, should be fun.
>>

Iteresting bit of trivia: The founder of NOLS, Paul Petzoldt used to climb mountains with my uncles back in the fifties, Tetons, Materhorn, and yes Devil's Tower (climbing route: Bailey Route was named after my uncle). Well it is Spet. now, and we are now betting on who gets first snow.
Union suits ready! (A uniton suit is a one piece set of long underwear, with the little flap in the back...Wyoming women call them Western Ligerie).
Michael A. Bailey
Casper, Wyoming
K100LT
80RT
'58 R69

Yeah, the riding sucks in Wyoming.

158728564-L.jpg

:wave

Heck we have the same roads right here in Texas.

Attachments

• cch jo.jpg
    cch jo.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 293
Wyoming is great. We were there about this time last year cruising Yellowstone. Fantastic day rides in the park alone. Bison in heat do NOT like motorcycles however.

I look forward to going back to Yellowstone and the entire area again. I haven't been to Cody since I was a kid but I still remember the museum there.

Randy, where did you take the Texas picture? I'll believe that one when I go ride it.

I think that was taken on Lower Greenville Avenue. :stick

I stuck that on there to compare to the photo above. ( A really great photo from SIBUD by the way). It's just uncanny how there are these roads or places that will cause you to pause and take a photo right at a certain spot. It's funny that we took that shot of the same road view. It was pretty jaw dropping looking way down there and realizing it was all the same road you're on above.

Back on the original topic. Wyoming has super great roads. That photo was taken north of Cody on the Chief Joseph Hwy before reaching Beartooth Pass. Don't want to start an argument, but those two roads might be the very best in the country. Route 296 from Cody heading to 212 over to Red Lodge. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking of that area. Anyone getting into Wyoming should put that stretch as a "Must ride" for sure !!

Darn, turn my back and someone moves the road.:D

Looks like we must have been at the same place at different times.

I remember with fondness my ride over Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth highways last month. Seems like yesterday.

<snip> Back on the original topic. Wyoming has super great roads. That photo was taken north of Cody on the Chief Joseph Hwy before reaching Beartooth Pass. Don't want to start an argument, but those two roads might be the very best in the country. Route 296 from Cody heading to 212 over to Red Lodge. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking of that area. Anyone getting into Wyoming should put that stretch as a "Must ride" for sure !!

+1.

Anyone going to or through Wyoming should ride the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass. Stop in Red Lodge for lunch at Bogart's, a cup of coffee or just a stroll down Main St. Also, Cooke City is a tiny town that is big on character ... Cody has it's own intrigue as well. It's not just a wide spot in the road.

Spent a week in Cheyenne

The week I spent in Cheyenne was wonderful because I wanted it to be, and I will bring the same attitude to the Gillette Rally in 2008. I went to a great rodeo in Cheyenne, and just plain enjoyed the town, the people and the lay of the land. I think someone else put it best, enjoy the ride getting here, and socialize with fellow MOA members once you arrive. We have what we have for '08. Those who don't agree with the selected site and want to influence and host national rallies in the future should step up into a leadership role and and channel their energies toward a positive outcome.

The week I spent in Cheyenne was wonderful because I wanted it to be, and I will bring the same attitude to the Gillette Rally in 2008. I went to a great rodeo in Cheyenne, and just plain enjoyed the town, the people and the lay of the land. I think someone else put it best, enjoy the ride getting here, and socialize with fellow MOA members once you arrive. We have what we have for '08. Those who don't agree with the selected site and want to influence and host national rallies in the future should step up into a leadership role and and channel their energies toward a positive outcome.

Could not have been better said.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Could not have been better said.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, SIBUD. p.s. enjoyed the pictures and posts about your campsite at the National Rally! I joined MOA a little too late to attend, but with all the enthusiastic posts about the enjoyment of the event, I look forward to the rally next year.

WY really sucks....:stick :stick :rofl Why would you want to spend any time riding around there and see this...:rolleyes

180415000-M.jpg

And this....

180415148-M.jpg

Or spend some time in here and learn something.....

180406073-M.jpg

See you at the '08 National......

Wyo

been to the western part of WYO , it well be nice to ride the eastern part,will see ya all at the 08 rally:buds

Enjoy the journey!

I have ridden Wyoming. I have been to Gillette. There are many great rides in Wyoming. I am sure over 90 percent of the people attending the rally will be from out of state. Just think of the journey getting there and not the destination. I won't be going, but it doesn't mean I never want to go thu the state again. From the east, give yourself a couple days in the Black Hills. From the west, there is glacier or the Wasatch or Yellowstone. If you don't like Gillette, stay a day and spend the rest of the time on the road.

....And upstate NY! :) That pulloff on Chief Joseph must be a popular spot. I, for one, can't wait to get back to Wyoming. Gillette seems fine to me.

Attachments

• sillChiefJ.jpg
    sillChiefJ.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 309
I've ridden through Wyoming a lot and love it. The passes over the Big Horn mountains are fantastic. The Beartooth Pass at the east end of Yellowstone is likely the most impressive mountain pass in all of North America. The Cody area is both beautify, great riding, and rich in true Buffalo Bill-style western history. Central Wyoming from west of the Big Horns to Jackson Hole is a fantastic mix of sweepers and open rolling country with amazing geology. East of Gillette you have Devil's Tower, and the Black Hills, the Bad Lands, and Mount Rushmore areas of western South Dakota. Gillette is a great base to explore a fantastic area with very open roads and very few people. :brow

good idea

I have ridden Wyoming. I have been to Gillette. There are many great rides in Wyoming. I am sure over 90 percent of the people attending the rally will be from out of state. Just think of the journey getting there and not the destination. I won't be going, but it doesn't mean I never want to go thu the state again. From the east, give yourself a couple days in the Black Hills. From the west, there is glacier or the Wasatch or Yellowstone. If you don't like Gillette, stay a day and spend the rest of the time on the road.

How much for a day pass?

:wave

:nono

Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!!!!!

Been there a few times, hunting, fishing and riding............Can't be beat!

The "Ride Tough and Eat Buff" Rally by the Black Hills BMW Club could easily be the highlight of the rally. I attended it a couple years ago on our way to Spokane......FANTASTIC!

I can't wait for the Wyoming Rally!

Wyoming traffic

First post but here we go;
Living in Rapid City SD. My Job takes me to Gillette at least once a week and all over Wyoming, Tonight I am in the Bighorn Basin. What a wonderful drive over today I only which I was on my Beemer instead of in my truck. Highway 14/16 North of Gillette through Spotted Horse (stop in and have a great burger) and on over to Sheridan I met probably 20 other vehicles in at least 120 miles! All the while the snow capped Bighorns are peaking between the hills on the horizon.
Then climb up out of Ranchester to the top of the mountains (watch out for mooseÔÇÖs) and down to Greybull or Lovell. Either route is sure to thrill you with curves and views!
Yeah I was amazed that Gillette was chosen but there are nice one/two day rides from there.

Back