• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First long ride from Dallas - "To GPS" or "to not GPS?"

Trust me. This year you're going to see a very, very backroad intensive ride to the rally from me....

:evil

That sounds great. I take it you are going to post them like last year. It makes good reading for those who can't attend. I'm going to try the same process on my little journey. :brow

I plan on stopping in Paonia on the way from Dallas and I'm still trying to figure out a good route from Paonia on to Spokane. Right now I'm thinking about riding towards Jackson, WY. On the other hand I'm looking at Twin Falls Idaho to Missoula along 75 and 93. I guess the answer is ride up one way and take the other way home. It's just hard figuring out how far I'm going to want to ride each day. Paonia to Jackson might be a stretch in one day so perhaps Kennerer might be more realistic first day out of Paonia. I'm packing a tent and sleeping bag for my first time as well and now I hear you need reservations ? I thought camping was similar to birds landing on a wire with other birds. Heck, we're talkin a small tent and a motorcycle. Unless you've camped at a particular site in the past there's no way to know whether it's decent. Not exactaly like choosing a Holiday Inn here. I could sure use any words of wisdom on the topic of planning to camp. For that matter, trying to find a motel could also turn out to be a challenge.

Sure am. I'm going to try and be better about putting pictures up during the rally as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Ain't the innernet wunnerful?

:D

RT RANDY said:
I could sure use any words of wisdom on the topic of planning to camp. For that matter, trying to find a motel could also turn out to be a challenge.

I've used KOAs for a few years with some success. If you get there late, they almost always have an overflow area. If you have an idea of how far you want to ride on a day, you can call ahead and make a reservation. Bear in mind that some of the ones in the west can be kind of a dustbowl.

Do you have a sleeping pad or air mattress? We travel with an air mattress and a full size pillow and it's almost as comfy as our bed at home.

KOA's make real good sense being they are almost like a national motel chain so there should be some kind of standard across them plus they probably have a nation 800 number. I've seen them over the years and always thought of them as an RV park. Didn't realize you could simply pitch a tent there.

The guy at REI told me about a self inflating pad for under the sleeping bag as well as a tent "foot print" for under the tent so hopefully that can work. They have these small pillows that compress which seemed ok, but having a pillow from home sounds pretty darn good. I'm trying to take as little as possible so as to not overload the bike. I like the full size pillow idea for sure. KOA's have showers? Those giant RV's just need a water hook up.

Thanks for the good tips.

50, and I have a GPS but I rarely use it on the bike. I like Rob Nye's answer. I also note that the IBR guys are extreme riders and do things that won't make as much sense to a 300-500 mile/day rider like me.

I see two things that a GPS are really nice for:

1) If you really want to know how fast you're going, you need to use a GPS. I check the GPS against my speedo so that I avoid surprises.

2) Set a mark (waypoint) at base camp when exploring the surrounding countryside. Then if you get lost while riding around, at least you know in what direction and how far you are from where you started.

My GPS is a much simpler one. It has maps but does not do routing. I usually plan a route out and write a queue sheet that I put in the clear thing in my tank bag. I also stop and pull out the map from time to time.

I would advise that you give the GPS a try and see if you like it or prefer to go with the map. And some times it is just fun to follow the most interesting looking road.

RT Randy,
Pillows are good things! I could never do the rolled-up-clothing thing and bring an old nasty pillow. It stuffs neatly into the center of one of my Helen 2 Wheels bags.

For some other ideas on camping, don't forget out own web-site. There's some good information to be found in there.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/

Knary, Great stuff! I've been all over the BOA website but never saw the section on camping. Very helpful !

If you see some guy at the rally walking around with a robe, pillow, and slippers at the camp ground, you'll know it's me.

:D

How 'bout Cody, Wy.

RT RANDY said:
I plan on stopping in Paonia on the way from Dallas and I'm still trying to figure out a good route from Paonia on to Spokane. . . .

Have you considered joining the BMW Sport Touring group in Cody, WY. for their Unrally III? It is set to start the day after Paonia ends. Cody is approx. 570 miles from Paonia. You can check out all the details at this URL.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=unrally04

Good luck

To GPS or Not

I found this thread while researching GPS. I didn't read EVERY post, but most. So far, I haven't found anyone using the GPS for what I want to use it for.

First, last summer, I did X-country and back...10K miles in 30 days. It was awesome, and we used the Michelin Atlas for NA. Best atlas I have ever seen for finding nice roads. Every morning or night we would map out where we wanted to go the next day, and a route...it was perfect, and I never even thought of needing a GPS. I agree, it's the journey.

And I have been a staunch resister of GPS, until very recently. You see, almost ALL my other riding is weekend twisties, with a group. I bought some mapping software so I could lay out nice routes that found and led me through the nice twisties, some I know, some I am exploring for the first time. And this is where the GPS is going to work for me.

I will take my routes, download them, and then have the GPS do the figuring about where to turn next, and how far. When you have 8 guys behind you, and you really want to explore a certain set of roads, or find twisties, but still make a certain town for lunch, it would be great to have a GPS tell you "Here's your turn" rather than 2 u-turns and some head scratching. Having done it enough times, I think the GPS would be great. Keep in mind that some of these routes have 75+ instructions. I think it will allow me to enjoy the roads more, be safer because I am not scrolling down a route sheet on a map pocket, and also, have it be about the journey, not whether I am heading down a dead end.

That's my take on it...

Dan B
'98 Honda VFR

GPS -Yes

On my trip 48 states plus Alaska 8300miles in 8 days I used only
my Garmin 176C GPS ,never even once look on map,.
I have all BMW dealers in my 3000 waypoints,speedtraps- I don't
use radar detector.
My GPS show me my bike charging voltage, altimeter- very important and this model don't have automap and I like it,this is the best investment I did .
To improve enjoyment in riding and you have to look only at one spot on gps screen not all over the map to find where you are now on page.
Today if I will buy GPS Garmin 276C model be my choice.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/
:dunno

GPS or not GPS?

I just received email from friend and he will easy your decision to purchase good tool and with one.
Quote:

Howdy

" I've been meaning to drop you line ever since we picked up our GPS. We did end up getting the 2610. What a nice unit! I also bought an external antenna and a Touratec mount for the GS. We used it in the truck all the way to Edmonton from Yuma and it only made one little mistake. It said to turn right where there was no need to turn and there was no road there anyway! At Dillon, MT, we usually take an alternate route which take us around the big hill north of Butte instead of over it o
n the interstate. Well, we were off the road only about 100 metres and it said "off route - recalculating". All on its own, it came up with the exact alternate route. Very impressive! I was planning on buying it from one of the online companies in the States. But then GPS Central bundled it with Metroguide Canada. I'd also read several of the reviews for the online outfits and found all of them had several very negative reviews. For the few dollars extra to deal with Calgary, I didn't think it was wo rth the risk of getting ripped off like some who'd written those negative reviews. Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!

How are things going with you folks? I suppose you are planning on attending the International in Spokane. We are too. We will probably take a leisurely 2 days to get there, stopping overnight at or near Nakusp, BC. This takes us thru some of our favourite regions of SE BC.

ps.Jeff Dean recomend this GPS Dealer:
http://jeffdean2.home.att.net/gps.htm

:dunno

Damn! That 726c unit is sooo cool! I don't even need a GPS for where I ride. I don't care where I am or if I'm lost. but I'm going to have to get one because... well, just because it's so cool.

It looks like one more of those left brain-right brain conflicts is going to be developing.

>The bottom line is that to me the bike is a toy and everything on it is an extension of the playset.

Can't really add much to what Rob said but I'll try.

I've been totally into navigation since I was a kid. I have a BIG box of maps, dating back to the sixties when SERVICE stations gave them away FREE (remember that?) I used to pass the time on family vactions doing TSD calculations so that I do them involuntarily now! I use paper maps extensively when I plan trips with the GPS, and always take them with me when I travel.
Now I have a GPS (well, two actually) and I never go anywhere without them. Here's why.
My first trip to Nova Scotia, I was coming up on my stop for the night (at a Provincal Park I had waypointed). It was getting dark, fog was rolling in off the sea, and a storm was brewing. As soon as I PASSED the turn off to the park, I KNEW it. Turned around, found the park, set up camp and crawled into my tent just as a TORRENTIAL rain commmenced. Were it not for the GPS, I would have been looking for and setting up camp in that downpour, and spending a lovely night trying to sleep while soaking wet and freezing!

While traveling, I have my Garmin set to display a huge arrow with my heading, and a large field that displays my speed and distance to next turn. If that arrow changes direction and points behind me, I know I've missed a turn. I can read this and use the GPS while riding without any safety issues. Takes as much time as a glance at the speedo or fuel gauge.
Part of the fun of a trip in to sit down and plan the route (or several. I just did 5 rides for the locale around Panguitch Utah for a trip this weekend that I can share with the riders I'm meeting there).

So I guess my answer is yes, you can find your way to Spokane without a GPS, but it CAN add to the enjoyment of getting there, can be beneficial in your journey, and MAY just save you a miserable night, or a long back track.

To GPS" or "to not GPS?"

I agree with almost everyone else. A GPS is a distraction and if you stay on the main roads you won't get lost. But I like getting lost I leave the GPS off on the way out of town and just ride along any new road I find. When I am good & lost and in Burnt Church,Tennessee, I hit the home button.

I also get three fun things out of my GPS I tell it to avoid Major Roads and that I prefer Medium and minor roads. ( I do end up on dirt but if you never ride dirt you will miss a lot of America. )

The other trick is that my wife will only ride with me if we stop for lunch at a Chinese place so I ride in the general direction that I want go that day and when she slaps me on the back of the helmet I push "Find Restaurant, Chinese" and we're both happy.

The last thing I do is map in roads from http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ I put a little pin for the start and the finish so that I don't ride right past some great road like FM Route 4.

Both Maps & GPS

I enjoy traveling with both.

While the GPS device may show the quickest route, often I am more intertested in "MY WAY" so I use the map to plot my trip. I enjoy just putting the GPS device on "MAP". That way I can see how the roads around me come into play. Sometime a lake come up on my left and I decide to turn left for a look. The GPS device is also great for finding the closest restaurants, hotels, etc.

I agree with almost everyone else. A GPS is a distraction and if you stay on the main roads you won't get lost. But I like getting lost I leave the GPS off on the way out of town and just ride along any new road I find. When I am good & lost and in Burnt Church,Tennessee, I hit the home button.

I also get three fun things out of my GPS I tell it to avoid Major Roads and that I prefer Medium and minor roads. ( I do end up on dirt but if you never ride dirt you will miss a lot of America. )

The other trick is that my wife will only ride with me if we stop for lunch at a Chinese place so I ride in the general direction that I want go that day and when she slaps me on the back of the helmet I push "Find Restaurant, Chinese" and we're both happy.

The last thing I do is map in roads from http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ I put a little pin for the start and the finish so that I don't ride right past some great road like FM Route 4.

Being able to pull the route off your GPS and store it for future reference is pretty cool, too.

Get a GPS. If you get lost, the GPS can help you get back. It can help you find gas stations, places to eat, and places to spend the night.

I've been to the Black Hills and Wyoming for the past several years. I really don't need a GPS to find my way there or back. But it has helped me find gas and shelter along the way.

Get a GPS.

GPS - yes

I bought the BMW Zumo this past Christmas and love it. I vote GPS yes.

I just returned from a nine day 2500 mile trip with it and it worked great. I used it to get me from one city to the next. I used it to take me on a loop route. I had it leave a trail of where I went and returned back to the hotel in the reverse route. I used it to finds gas stations and places to eat.

It just works. It is water proof and vibration proof.

Ron

Back