• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS & RT grips- interchangeable?

The_Veg

D'OH!
OK here's a good one.

I really like the grooved-style handgrips that late-model RT's (and early K-Bikes) use, and I'd like to put them on my GS (the grips on which I can live with but don't really like). My GS has the heated grips, which as far as I can tell have the rubber grip moulded onto the heating element.
I've seen the style of rubber grip that I like on R1200RT's, so what I want to know is if the RT grips are compatible with the GS- do they physically fit, and do the heat-elements connect?

If nobody knows, then maybe someone with an RT could be kind enough to post pics of how their grips come apart so I can figure out the answer.

having both, I am also curious...I have changed the rubber on the RT and they were like older R's...element was wrapped on under the grips... and came off easily
The GS grips are very stiff/hard in comparison and I would prefer the RT style also...
I will look at diffs tonite to see if someone doesn't weigh in

looking at A&S's microfiche the grips do seem to be grip & element in one:dunno

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog/R1200GS(04-up)/catalog_frameset.html

the GS appears to be an all in one unit still... on RealOEM site: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

this 'fiche shows a integrated looking grip:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0317&mospid=47824&btnr=32_1505&hg=32&fg=15

here is the R series fiche: grip and element are seperated...the RT was the same

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0439&mospid=47984&btnr=32_1249&hg=32&fg=15

I am thinking going to local bicycle shop and getting some padded bar tape...the heat will transfer thru and you can wrap to thickness that feels good...and it comes in wacky colors and styles. I tried some gel padded Olympia gloves yesterday and it made a diff for me

I found a set of gel pad gloves at Harbor Freight for 12 bucks. They fit well, and have properly installed gel stuff in all the fingers, too. They make the grips fell larger, and seem to help some of my numbing problems. The backs don't provide the protection of the more spendy gloves, by the air seems to flow through, and that's good in the summer.

I don't remember the name, but they are light natural leather color with black material.

Gary

OK here's a good one.

I really like the grooved-style handgrips that late-model RT's (and early K-Bikes) use, and I'd like to put them on my GS (the grips on which I can live with but don't really like). My GS has the heated grips, which as far as I can tell have the rubber grip moulded onto the heating element.
I've seen the style of rubber grip that I like on R1200RT's, so what I want to know is if the RT grips are compatible with the GS- do they physically fit, and do the heat-elements connect?

If nobody knows, then maybe someone with an RT could be kind enough to post pics of how their grips come apart so I can figure out the answer.

The grip starts with a plastic tube which is spiral cut on the surface and wrapped with the heater wire in the spiral cut. Then there is a wrap of sticky paper like material and the grip is slipped over all that. You can carefully cut the grip to almost it's full thickness and pull it apart and off the heated part. Then put any grip you want on it with hair spray or some other slime that will allow slipping it on and then drying sticky. The grips that are solid like on the new K12S and others are much hotter than the ones on the K12RS that had the circular grooves. I always wondered why, maybe the grooves and the air that kept you away from the grip. I like the new solid ones better.

Back