• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT Oil Filter Problem

Mr. Frank

The last time I changed my oil and again when I changed it today, turning the oil filter was much different than I am used to. With my previous two BMW's and cars I've worked on, the filter turns freely until the gasket contacts the block. On this bike the filter is relatively hard to turn right after the threads catch. There is no way to sense when the gasket contacts. Has anybody else had this experience?

Has anybody else had this experience?

Nope. But it sounds like something could be cross threaded. :dunno

Bad/wrong filter

Were you using a BMW oil filter?

There may be a problem with the threads. The resistance you felt tightening the filter may have been new threads being cut on the filter. I'd pull the filter and check it out.

I got a spin on filter once with no threads. JON

I also vote for cross-threaded. My RT filter spins on the same as my GS, which is as you would expect...smooth, then you feel it getting tighter when the gasket touches the case.

Important note: Do be careful not to overtorque the filter. It doesn't take much - 11Nm.

I think it is OK now. One guy suggested the old gasket from the dealer oil change might be up there. I pulled the filter and looked up from underneath the engine. Everything looked fine. I took the gasket off the new BMW filter and hand screwed it on to check the threads. It turned many times with little resistance. I put the gasket back on and reinstalled the filter. This time it felt normal -- a couple of no resistance turns and then the gasket grounding. I snugged up and started the engine. No leaks. Perhaps the threads were gunked up or the cold fitting was smaller than when it is hot.

My vote (based on experience and my 7th grade science teacher's lesson on metalurgy) goes to the tighter fit when hot.

So how does the R model oil change compare to sticking your hand upside the crankcase of a K? Quicker or slower, more tedious or easier, etc.?

Did you fill the filter before installation, Frank? That's one of the things I like about Kbikes and Oilheads; you can fill the filter before install and have full oil pressure faster.

Back