• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any news of a F800 GS?

Gil

I have this urge to spend money on a new bike. F800GS would be a great outlet to vent my cash.

I have this urge to spend money on a new bike. F800GS would be a great outlet to vent my cash.

Nothing official yet, but I've been hearing rumors that it will be shown at the Milan motorcycle show in November with a US release in the first half of '08.

Pricing will probably be pretty close to the ST.

Statdawg, was that Hermy? I asked the same thing and got the same response. Late fall or early spring.

:lurk

Can't Wait

Looking forward to that F 800 GS. Saw some pics from South Africa of the thing.
Can't wait to see it in person. I won't be the main rider of it, but I sure hope it works for my wife. She has a 650 CS for now.

We test rode the F800's recently. I love the engine, oil and filter arrangement in particular, but overall, not quite the bike we're looking for, mainly sitting stance and exhaust pipe location were issues..needs better heat shielding behind the foot rests in particular.

But the weight, power and smoothness of it was ideal for my wife's shorter stance, but like the CS, would need more windshield and she'd like to sit more upright like she does on the CS.

Pros and cons for the thing, but I think that will be a great powerplant on that series. I'd like to see an RT type touring varient eventually on the 800, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Love the Red color on the S version, but not available on the ST....yet? Could swap out the forks etc, but too much trouble and money just for a color!

If the stance on the GS works well for my wife, we'll be snagging one soon next year. Then up to Wyoming we go...

Bryan

BMW build an F-800-RT, now thats an idea. My first beemer was a 1978 R-80 full dresser. Still one of the best bikes I ever owned. If you do moniter these pages Mr BMW people, then you build this bike and I will by one. I wount hold my breath though. Maybe a GS then, but please increase the gas tank size. Thanks :deal

"Make a Smaller One"

Playing on the recent GM commercial for the H3, I'd have to agree to a recent article by a woman who reviewed a 650 GS in Arizona. Stated that it was a bit high compared to previous models she owned and rode. Her overall comment was why do they keep building the bikes taller? There are some people who are below the 5'-10" average for men and 5' 5" or so for women. So, "why don't they build a smaller one?"

With the F 800 power plant, I think BMW has reached a necessary niche in the market, not just for marketing with the competition for a mid-size bike. Now they just need to have more options wrapped around that power plant.

The R and K series is just too much bike for some people, my wife in particular. While the F 600's are not quite suited to long-haul riding (some will argue with that). A whole day of single cylinder thumping does add up.

But the "Ninja" style riding stance of the current F 800 series just isn't suited to everyone, but it is the first step forward with this engine. It will be interesting to see what happens with the GS next?

05 C 650 CS
04 R 1150 RT

Scotchale

That is right I plan to put atleast a hundred down so I can get a pick of the litter. If it is too small for me I will let it go. I just wished the X Challenge had a larger tank. Did you take any of the 800s for a spin ? Great bikes !

Yes. Hermy gave me the 800ST for a week while my 650GS was in for servie. My hubby was really hoping I would like it and move up in hp. It was fun to ride and it's a great bike in the twisties. But for a long ride, I just couldn't do it. After about 2 hours, it was hell on my knees. While it's not as forward as the S, it's still pretty much a sport bike.

I'm holding out hope for the 800 GS.

Thanks Paul.

Now, I need a plan on how to budget it with little to no wife involvement. This is the bike I have been waiting for.

I am pretty excited about the possibility of an 800GS. If the price is right, it could very well be my next bike. :)

So can anyone give any substantial proof of any supposed viewing/ release/ due within border...

...Any dates of confirmation of anything to do with the 800GS....Yet.

I hear rumor after wishful thinking, but no one has come up with the pudding.

Reason being, someone wants to buy my 650GS. I cannot be with out a bike for very long. If this is coming out as soon as some speculate (within 2-3 months)...I can buy a cheap cage for the commute to work this winter.

If we are talking a year...I may have to buy an airhead...Maybe.:thumb

I personally have been watching and searching the web constantly waiting for this potential new bike that would be an addition to my garage. I always wanted a GS model and this particular bike would be an affordable alternatinve to a new bike, with warranty and reliabilty. I just can't afford a new 1200 GS.
I am keeping my eyes open.

Back