• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Brake pads/'05 models

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Just added another '05 model,the GS, and heard a scraping noise on way home and felt a funny shudder...The rear pads were gone at 22K. The fronts are fine. luckily about three stops from doing some serious damage to the rotor.
When I picked up the '05 RT it had 17K miles and the rear pads were also worn to the metal. once again the fronts looked new with all the grooves visible.
What kind of brake wear the rest of y'all getting? I have put 22K on the RT since the initial replacement and they looked fine at recent service last week.

I wonder if the previous owners just used the rear brake a lot or maybe rested foot on it unknowingly? Or is it just the way this generation of linked/assisted brakes behave?

I was used to the WIZZY assisted brakes of the RT , so the GS throws no problems my way...but worn out pads do:banghead

2006 RT with 18,000 miles - better than 50% rear pads remaining. I attribute this to relying on the bike's computer to apportion F/R braking force and never touching the rear pedal (except on gravel or tight downhill turns).
Tom

07 Also

Hen,

I replaced the rears on my 07 GSA at 7K miles!!!!! They were not completely gone but as I had a 3K mile trip coming-up and the rear tire needed replacement also. I don't know what's up as I don't drag my brakes and I usually am off them pretty quick.

Fronts are OK still at 12K miles

All I can offer is just some more anecdotal trivia for ya', sorry.

Dave

2006 RT with 18,000 miles - better than 50% rear pads remaining. I attribute this to relying on the bike's computer to apportion F/R braking force and never touching the rear pedal (except on gravel or tight downhill turns).
Tom

I agree with TomfromMD.....my RT is approaching 23K, and the guys at my local indy who work on it keep asking me if I ever use my brakes. I only use the right hand lever, almost never use the foot pedal, and just let the bike do the work......even in panic stops (though that took some practice).

Well I guess I am going with heavy rear brake using "first owners" since the RT set has 41K and not an issue since original set. And with all the chat:fight on the other 07 thread about brake use style, I will be more aware of the RT's & GS's abilities and stay off the rear a little more...except where I think I need them.:rofl

It just is hard when riding all different styles of systems to decide which bike I am on and I am not that mentally fast as I once was...I'll prob still tap the rear! Or go to one bike only....GASP ... NOT!

and thanks B-Frog:wave , compassion helps! 7K and I'm complaining? makes you wonder though! I will def keep an eyeball on this set and see ...seems a GS off road is going to use more rear

To top it off the Sintered vs. Organic pads came up at parts counter today...service guys said Sintered!!!!! of course $20 more for that selection bringing a set to $89...brakes & tires are not a $$issue by no means, but dangit! at least the nice copper bases are pretty:(

I had one of those left turns in front of me Sunday near the lake...commando ambush coming out of a cedar break Chevy truck...Helen was amazed I got out of that one! don't know if it was luck, the awesome GS or some of my old road riding skills from riding bicycles for SOOOOOO long. It was that close, but I stopped right before he whammed me...at 15MPH thankfully...sombitch spilled his beer as I :fight made a comment or two and continued up the road. After seeing the splintered wafer thin rear set Monday....WOW..

Back