• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motel Reservations in Gillette

Gillette, like a lot of the west enjoys GREAT sleeping weather. It's very low humidity and drops to the mid to high 60's by 10:00 pm or so even on the hotest of days. The vast majority of people around here sleep with the air conditioning off and the windows open all summer long. Camp, dont' camp, your choice, but Gillette won't be like the midwest or the east where it can be 90 degrees and 90% humidity at 3 in the morning.:thumb

that shows the number of trees (shade) on both sites?Shade is good,no?:dunno

Shade is good. I will never guarantee shade for the tents, you can usually count on the tents not having shade simply because there isn't much to be found on any given fairground. Plus, if I sell out at 200 tents, no way can I set all up under a tree.

I do have canopies where people can sit during the day, which also facilitates making friends and telling stories, etc. Last year I had coverage of 20' x 40', I'll continue to purchase additional canopies for next year.

Just a suggestion

If supply and demand are the driving forces behind the lodging prices in Gillette, let's alter them. We can't change the number of rooms available, but we can change the demand. Call your favorite lodging supplier and ask about rates each week, but don't book. Just complain about the extravagant cost and hang up. As the rally approaches and they have all those unbooked rooms, they will lower the rates. Of course, this only works if everyone participates, and we know some are going to get scared of not having a room to sleep in, and, therefore, not going to the rally or having to sleep in a tent. They'll book at any price, but if the majority of the 3200 lodgers hold off until the last minute, my guess is the rates will come down. There can't be 3000 people traveling through Gillette wanting motel rooms on the very dates we need them, could there? If there are, the Sherpa can have extra tents and can make a killing off 'em. Of course, this does introduce uncertainty into the lives of those that hold out, but life is full of uncertainties.

I camped at WB, my first rally, and enjoyed it because of the folks I got to know after the sun went down and the "real" conversations began. I'll camp at Gillette for the same reason.

Rooms in Gillette

Re: Best Value Inn
Just booked one for $100/night over the phone. It was the BMW discount the lady said. Must be the case as I tried to do it on line and got quotes of $170-190 per night. They were probably suites. Right!

A hun a night is still a bit of a rip for a place like Gillette but when compared to what we pay for BMW parts and accessories it is just a walk in the park!

Mike

Just booked one for $100/night over the phone. It was the BMW discount the lady said. Must be the case as I tried to do it on line and got quotes of $170-190 per night. They were probably suites. Right!

A hun a night is still a bit of a rip for a place like Gillette but when compared to what we pay for BMW parts and accessories it is just a walk in the park!

Mike

I spent 25 nights in hotels during high tourist season this summer. The average was just about $100/night.

I booked today, but they asked me single or twins, I said single, and wound up with the alternative $90 per night. Of course they reminded me, it is "plus tax".

Yahoo!

Tweety1
Sunset Yellow F800S

My post wasn't directed at you

Shade is good. I will never guarantee shade for the tents, you can usually count on the tents not having shade simply because there isn't much to be found on any given fairground. Plus, if I sell out at 200 tents, no way can I set all up under a tree.

I do have canopies where people can sit during the day, which also facilitates making friends and telling stories, etc. Last year I had coverage of 20' x 40', I'll continue to purchase additional canopies for next year.

and providing canopies is an asset when shade is at a premium.

Last edited:
Ted
I may have missed the the thread have you figured out what you rates are going to be this event.

I haven't nailed them down yet. My costs will be significantly more this trip, plus I keep selling out, so my rates will have an increase over previous years.

Probably will start with $150 for a single tent and $225 for a double tent, and that price will climb as the event gets closer (in other words, reserve and pay early).

Prices cover everything for the whole event, of course.

I'll open up reservations as soon as I see a link for me on the '08 rally page.

At these prices you can get a Big Agnus bag with a slide in air mat and sleep like a baby Room cost about 12.00 a night. Staggering to your tent and not having to ride or get to a motel after the beer tent shuts down at 1:30 am priceless...lol

Back