• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

This thread is going to be stale and unimaginative, don't look.

That sheik guy have them 19 dudes all from his four old lady dudettes?

It's actually Sheikh, with an H, and that's Sheikh Zayed, who's definitely not, just some guy. He was one of the most forward thinking and progressive minded rulers in the Middle East. He's revered by the populace for his achievements in bringing the Bedouin clans together and effecting the most dramatic positive changes for an incredible nation of admirable people.

And he might have slipped a couple of the sons in with more than just the standard four wives. He was the Sheikh after all.

I've been in-country over four months but the country is a bit more complex than the quick time here has allowed for me to feel able enough give you a confident and honest, truly blinder-free and accurate report of my experiences. I'm making Emirate friends and have been invited to one of their houses for Christmas. I'll feel better about expounding on my impressions of the culture after that more intimate exposure to it.

As for their history, let me say this: I was speaking with an academic friend and colleague who was telling me about a historian that asked permission from a Sheikh to detail some of the history of the country. The answer the historian received was along the lines of, "Who do you think you are to interpret the history of our country"?!

The food? It' can be stunning. There is a population in the country that falls into two categories: 80% non-indigenous, 20% Emirate. That said, the food is great, depending on what restaurant you are eating in, in one of the most cosmopolitan countries in the world. If not the most cosmopolitan. It's like Brooklyn on steroids. And it's all really great! But...you have to be savvy. Most restaurateurs are closer to the bottom of the food chain. That's a reality.

I will say this though; the Arab mentality I've encountered is highly social, extremely courteous and big on welcoming Americans to their country. Unlike some other expats, we as Americans tend to want to know more about other cultures by living the culture we share space with rather than finding our own space to carve out, amid the culture we reside in. But there is a definite and large schism between mentalities, sensibilities, time values, learning patterns and values as they correlate to education in it's relation to wealth. There is no right or wrong. It's their country and they'll do what they think is best. At their speed. It's their right.

So as far as Sheikh Zayed's lineage coming from different females? That's an answer about which we will probably know...nothing. :whistle

Sorry but I don't believe people talk like that in the UAE.
:ha

You'd be surprised how my Arabic lessons are going. :brow

Sex%20O%20Clock.png

been awhile since I had time for nothing...glad something has not changed over here:thumb

Nothingness cannot change regardless of where it is not.

I have tilted my last windmill, and am safely home.

I didn't put any lights outside this year, nothing.
I have lost some of the joy of Christmas, it's not that I feel nothing.
It's just that Christmas time, for me, has always fanned the flames of hope, but this old hunk of wood feels more consumed as the years go by.
It's probably nothing.

However, I will also concede instead of starting on the lights earlier, I did nothing (well, not that anyway).
Next year, I have already vowed to put out more lights.
There is still an ember and I'm still here.(I don't look much "consumed":ha)

I also received multiple cordless tools for Christmas, so I must get started making something from nothing. I spent the evening with family and friends, making nothing, and loving it.
Merry Christmas! (and this is not for nothing:brad ):dance
:bar

More Christmas Nothing

More or less....

Although Santa was good to me I wish all a safe and happy New year.

There is still nothing with an roundel in my garage.

Soon, very soon......:dance

Nuttin is still sumpin..well,ain't it?

Tricked me again.I came here looking for something,and look what I found?Just the usual nothing.
Merrier Christmas next year anyway,Roy.

Emperor Kangxl

predicted this thread from his throne in the Forbidden City.

Attachments

• doing-nothing.jpg
    doing-nothing.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 113
Back