Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

BobFV1

Cool Grateful Thread

Okay everybody - this thread grew out of a thread called "Music" over in the main forum. It seems that there are more than a few Dead Heads (Grateful Dead afficianados) in our ranks. If you could do the "vulcan mind meld" on a Dead Head, you would get a bunch of set lists, favorite concerts, and other GD trivia and info. The same mind meld on an MOA member would probably result in K bike versus R bike, what's wrong with Harley riders, and which cool new piece of Wunderlich gear to rob the cookie jar for.

So post away on your favorite topics which put the Dead and the Beamer in the same thought. Here's mine: If The Dead play Red Rocks this summer like they did last summer, is anyone up for a BMW mini-rally/ride in to the concert? I think that would be a great way to combine two of our favorite pasttimes.

Rally Rat
    I'm sorry. No Jerry Garcia, no Greatful Dead.........

Rally Rat
    Ridin' that train.................................

I always ride to the shows at this one outdoor venue in my area (Tweeter Center, aka Great Woods). They let the bikes pull up and park on the edge of the lane for limos and handicapped and it is a straight shot in and out of the place. No hassle of waiting to get from the back 40 after the show.

I do miss Jerry. "The Dead" has it's moments when Phil and Warren are "on" but the magic isn't really there anymore. I will still go because all the other bands out there are even less interesting...
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

SNOONE
    I try to make a point of always riding to the shows either at PNC center, Jones Beach, Tweeter or Saratoga. Makes sense just for the parking.. I saw 4 or 5 shows last summer and had a great time. Same vibe as always. Unfortunately Jerry can't come anymore however Warren adds to the music in amazing ways as well. There are always those special moments during a show and I'm glad I can still go and see the music I've always loved.

Lets try and keep this thread alive and without a doubt get a copy of the Grateful Dead Movie and view it in surround.

BobFV1
    I didn't ride to the show this past June in Phoenix, because 1) I drink like a fish at these things (they had Sierra Nevada on tap!) and my wife can't be the designated driver on the bike and 2) I worry about three or four stinky outlaw motorcycle gang members throwing my beakster in to the back of a pickup and driving away. I really like the new stuff the Dead have done this past summer. Warren's singing is great and there were so many great new covers - Like a Rolling Stone, Eight Miles High, Madman Across The Water. The boys have changed with the times and keep on rocking.

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Miller
    I'm sorry. No Jerry Garcia, no Greatful Dead.........
    Jeff - some of us can't let go - and the new stuff is really pretty darn good - even though it takes two or three guys to try to compensate, musically, for Jerry

SNOONE
    the 2 or 3 guys comment cracked me up but couldnt be more true.

Old Dead Concert- Hartford CT 1971

There we were at the hartford Speedway on a hot day and a half tab. The Dead played their typical hours and hours before the break and while they were off doing whatever they do during break, more equipment was being setup on stage.

Lots more equipment...

Two more sets of drums, another organ, guitars, everything. What was happening we wondered?????

Remember this was a magical time with experimental music, experimental social "things", everything goes.

Well everthing did go, really.

After the break, Bob Weir introduced their new friends the ALLMAN Bros. and they jammed until the early evening. Magical Mystery Guests!!!

New Dead

Blasphemy???

My brother the consumate Dead Head saw the "new Dead" and said that they sounded better- tighter.

What say???

SNOONE
    Well with the addition of Warren Haynes they certainly destroy The Other Ones.. I especially did not enjoy the Joan Osborne Sugaree debacle.

What's

out there commercialy (or not) available that I can get to check them out????

SNOONE
    You can go to www.dead.net and buy any show from the summer tour

There are also a few songs free to download at http://www.dead.net/thedead/2004/summer-tour/index.html in the "all access" area.

Hey Paul, was that speedway "Colt Park"? I saw a show there in '76...
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

???

I remember it as Hartford Speedway, but jeez, it could have been anything that afternoon.

Saw the Dead and MANY others when I was in college in Boston I worked as an usher at the Music Hall...