Thread: 1200 boxer throttle balance question

DanGreene

1200 boxer throttle balance question

I am in a state of confusion. I have been told that the 1200 engines are not owner adjustable in term of balancing the throttle bodies. How about idle adjustments? Is this all done by computer at the dealer now? I appreciate any information on this question. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DanGreene View Post
    I am in a state of confusion. I have been told that the 1200 engines are not owner adjustable in term of balancing the throttle bodies. How about idle adjustments? Is this all done by computer at the dealer now? I appreciate any information on this question. Thanks.
    They have a stepper motor that adjusts each side at idle, but you still need to adjust them at higher revs.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

DanGreene
    Thank you Dave. So it sounds like it is basically the same drill with the twinmax or other type manometer. Balance at 4,000 rpm or so?

Quote Originally Posted by DanGreene View Post
    Thank you Dave. So it sounds like it is basically the same drill with the twinmax or other type manometer. Balance at 4,000 rpm or so?
    Exact-amundo! Check out this very nice pictorial of the procedure compliments of Jimvonbaden.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=17496

Very easy to do. Have fun.

Lou.
    Lou
    San Ramon, Ca.

'05 R1200ST
    Dark graphite/Sydney Blue
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

DanGreene
    Thank you for the reminder. I tell you, that Mr. VonBaden is no slow leak. We are lucky to have him in the club. Thanks Mr. VonBaden.