• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Modest Forum Proposal for Gillette and Beyond

mika

Still Wondering
Some of my best memories of the past rally are meeting forum friends in person for the first time or renewing old friendships kept close by the forum but separated by distance over the rest of the year. We were unable to organize an ad hoc event on the forum. With the growing importance of the website and the forum in the life of the BMW MOA I am making this modest proposal to turn it into a formal event at the Gillette rally and beyond.

I propose that a ÔÇÿForum Bag Lunch Meet and GreetÔÇÖ event be added to the official rally schedule of events/seminars for the Gillette Rally and beyond. The event (what ever the final name) is to be held Noon to 1PM Saturday of the Rally.

Structure:
Begin with time for people to meet and greet each other and eat a lunch they brought themselves. Renew old friendships; meet a forum friend in person for the first time. Allow approximately 30 minutes for this.

The meet and greet would be followed by a brief presentation from the Media Staff about what happened in the previous year, where the website and forum are headed in the future, meet the mods, facts and figures about the website and then a brief Q&A.

I suggest this order of things because the main purpose is to meet people. Having the presentation and the Q&A in the second half of the hour time bounds that for the presenters. Any further praise, discussion or debate that people feel they need may then be taken back to the forum when people return to their key boards.

Timing and Location:
Noon Saturday seems the least likely to interfere with other seminars people would attend. It should not conflict with other traditional events such as the ON Contributors, Ambassadors or Club Presidents events for example. There is a great deal of overlap in people of those groups and the forum.

The beer garden or a breakfast location sound good; however, based on my observation they present alcohol/food related problems.

The beer garden would not be conducive to the presentation I am proposing. In addition there are people on the forum that donÔÇÖt hang out at the beer garden for a variety of reasons.

A breakfast meeting is too early for some. People SS&S, go for rides, sleep in or go out for breakfast in the morning. The logistical demand on a rally location could create problems which a ÔÇÿbring your own lunchÔÇÖ event could avoid.

Name Tags:
Prior to coming to the rally urge potential attendees to print a name tag that has their avatar, screen name and first name. Size the tag to fit a clear plastic name tag holder. Have peal and stick name tags available for those who do not remember to print one.

Costs:
The cost to the Association would be
ÔÇó Staff time for preparing and presenting the presentation and Q&A
ÔÇó Meeting room space
ÔÇó Expenses related to the name tags.

I second the motion.

It is a well thought out proposal.

As I recall from the closing ceremonies

Deb Lower (vice president)

and

Karol Patzer (director)

are Rally chairs for next year.

Now would be the time to reserve a room for the event.

Great idea!!

I know there were a few forum people I just didn't get to meet, which was disappointing. I also ended up leaving 1/2 through to get to the ON Contributers Dinner. I would have preferred being able to attend both completely. I'm sure we could get some "seminar" space for our little gathering.. Nametags could be the cheap stick-on kind (couple dollars) and what you're proposing doesn't include food costs... although why couldn't it be catered? It's early enough that beer wouldn't be needed. Seminar space is "free" if the room is just going to be empty, anyhow...

Fantastic Idea!

Name Tags:
Prior to coming to the rally urge potential attendees to print a name tag that has their avatar, screen name and first name. Size the tag to fit a clear plastic name tag holder. Have peal and stick name tags available for those who do not remember to print one.

RW

Some of my best memories of the past rally are meeting forum friends in person for the first time or renewing old friendships kept close by the forum but separated by distance over the rest of the year. We were unable to organize an ad hoc event on the forum. With the growing importance of the website and the forum in the life of the BMW MOA I am making this modest proposal to turn it into a formal event at the Gillette rally and beyond.

Paul's correct....sounds like a well-thought out proposal. There's plenty of time to make sure date and time (for Gillette) is agreeable to the forum participants (if they can agree on anything:hide

I'll submit the suggestion to Susanna Parkhouse (seminar chair). She also keeps track of meetings, etc to insure there are facilities to accomodate them.
FYI: She usually sends out the seminar/meeting request in January/February to begin organizing them.

Thanks Karol. Just wanted to get the ball rolling on something constructive for Gillette and beyond. Now I know who to follow up with :wave

You are right, by nature the forum is poor at agreeing on anything even when we are getting along and happy. That is why I suggest we do this in a more formal manner. I know the Rally chairs will be able to figure it out and with almost a year to prepare the forum members might figure it out also.

:lurk

I missed the forum frenzy Thursday (my fault) and I didn't bring any forum type I.D. because I thought nobody would want to meet the firewoks lightin', laced boots wearin', wiseguy.
I will wear something appropriate in Gillette, at least to give people a chance to run the other way.

:thumb Way cool, we can argue in person!:nyah Just kidding.

I think the idea's great and am in as long as I make it to Gillette (which is the current plan).

Count us in as support, attendees and, where applicable, any assistance. This is a wonderful idea. ..... sounds like a blind date too :ha "is it just me or is it hot in here?" -Bob

Good idea,we get a chance to meet Knary-the webmaster

oh sorry,I mean"information architect".I love that title.:laugh

because we have issues agreeing and planning as a group, as already evidenced...
I feel we need "one" person to lead this charge, and get things done. Since M1ka has proposed it, and spends a fair amount of time on this forum I would like to have him be the "official" leader of this get together? I feel he is more than capable of making this a very successful and organized part of the Gillette rally.

I think it's a great idea and would like to meet my virtual friends in person.

The name tag idea is very good, except I'd like to have a more permanent tag. Would it be possible for the MOA to obtain tags for members, to be made available perhaps at renewal time?

I would like a nice permanent tag with my avatar on it, as well as my name.

Comments?

Regards, Rod.

Name Tags

Brian and I are thinking about going into the name-tag thing as a side-business.

Ever since the Sign-Man retired, we need someone at the rallies to do this. We are thinking it could be us.

We'll let you know what we come up with.

:)

Diy

Great Sue, there seems to be a market. In the meantime, I had a perfectly good name tag at the rally for the price of a label. I worked for a company that changed our title annually in lieu of a raise, so I have lots of nice magnetic name tags cluttering up my junk drawer. I just printed off a label with my avatar and name and stuck it over one of these. Voil?á, a name tag that the forum members instantly recognized.
Works for me, but then I'm one of those vintage people who is used to chickenwire and chewing gum repairs. :)

Holly

There is a new Signman...

You can order name badges both from the Signman site, and as a matter of fact, IBMWR seems to be using Signman as the vendor for their badges as well.

I'm not trying to horn in on Brian and Sue's new business, but couldn't the MOA do something similar, i.e. come up with a template for MOA name badges?

Back