• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for photos of US 12

Jackie Hughes

Candidate for Director
:bliss

Do you have one of those infamous photos of you and/or your bike along with that hugely popular "Winding Road 77 Miles" sign on US 12 (Lolo Pass Highway)?

If you do, please send a copy of it to Sandy Cohen at:

532 Lake Avenue
Webster Groves, MO 63119

You may just see yourself/bike featured in an upcoming issue of the ON.

Woah. There's probably three or four floating around on this forum right now. I think Flash put up one.

A quick BTW. As with all submissions to the ON, the photos need to be of members. Please include your member # when you send in the pic.

Jackie Hughes said:
... the photos need to be of members....

Ain't no way I'm sending Sandy a photo of my member! :cat
I wish I COULD send her a picture of me on hwy 12 though. As I think I posted elsewhere on the thread KBasa refers to, I found hwy 12 completely by dumb luck. They were paving it and I was stopped for 20 minutes or so a few miles before the sign. Met a couple on vintage Ducs and a fellow on an R100RT returning from Redmond. When we got going again, I didn't want to stop for a pic. (I DID almost wet myself when I saw it) I knew I was in for a great day as all the constuction flaggers MADE us come to the front of the line, and each time the sweeper truck passed and they let us loose, we knew we had 15-20 miles of freshly paved HWY 12 with NO oncoming traffic.
Now THAT was a day!:clap

Originally posted by Jackie Hughes Do you have one of those infamous photos of you and/or your bike along with that hugely popular "Winding Road 77 Miles" sign on US 12 (Lolo Pass Highway)?

w77b.JPG

Photo Credit - Dick Taylor, Bozeman, MT
Subject - Flash - BMWMOA (Lifetime) #18854 & '98 F650

Last edited:
Do you or she have an EMAIL ADDRESS to which to send a LINK to a photo or to which to email a DIGITAL photo?

Sandy tells me that digital images need to be large in format in order to be used in publication. As I am not yet a convert to the digital life, I'm hoping all of you who are know what that means. If you have something you think will work, send it to Sandy Cohen

77miles.jpg

Too small for print, oh well!

Also, if someone is interested in seeing more of what's along this road, check out an article that was created for the 2001 Rally....

Riding from Missoula, MT.

Ian

BTW... if I come to the rally, I will be missing some of this road, as I will be riding a bit to the north of it on The Lolo Motorway.

As long as we're collecting pics...

... how 'bout shots of your bike on top of Beartooth Pass?

And the northeast entrance to Yellowstone rocks!

Attachments

• beartooth.jpg
    beartooth.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 302
Visian said:
Too small for print, oh well!

Visian, print the photo out and send by snail mail to Sandy at the address in an above post. She can work with the actual photo if the digital image is too small.

Photographic enlargement of an image will work better than digital enlargement in some cases. With camera based enlargment systems, you don't get the pixelation typically encountered in digital enlargement.

Hwy. 12

Has anyone noticed that of the pictures taken of the "winding road next 77 miles" signs are taken from both ends of the road? The pictures taken by Dick Taylor and the Visian guy (with all the Beemers listed at the bottem of his post) were taken at the top end of Hwy. 12 headed West bound. Scott Conary took his picture at the bottom of Hwy. 12 headed East bound. West bound your are coming down the grade, and East bound you are climbing the grade.

The best way to ride this Hwy. is this. If you are "right handed" then you are in your "left mind", and you will only enjoy this road going down hill towards the rally. If you are "left handed" then you are in your "right mind", and you will enjoy it both ways. I have not met anyone in their "right mind" who did not like this road both ways, therefore they must be "left handed".

Re: Hwy. 12

tim said:
Has anyone noticed that of the pictures taken of the "winding road next 77 miles" signs are taken from both ends of the road? The pictures taken by Dick Taylor and the Visian guy (with all the Beemers listed at the bottem of his post) were taken at the top end of Hwy. 12 headed West bound. Scott Conary took his picture at the bottom of Hwy. 12 headed East bound. West bound your are coming down the grade, and East bound you are climbing the grade.

The best way to ride this Hwy. is this. If you are "right handed" then you are in your "left mind", and you will only enjoy this road going down hill towards the rally. If you are "left handed" then you are in your "right mind", and you will enjoy it both ways. I have not met anyone in their "right mind" who did not like this road both ways, therefore they must be "left handed".

:help

On the way east to the sign...
IMG_1937.jpg

Scott,

Why did you have to post that picture? Here it is, Feb. 16, 8:30 at night with frozen snow on the ground, and you post a beautiful picture of Hwy. 12 going over Lolo Pass. This is pure torture!

Actually, I was just kidding. That is a gorgeous picture and brings back many wonderful memories. I hope to be riding Hwy. 12 early this spring.;) ;) ;) Thank for the post!

Last edited:
tim said:
Scott,

Why did you have to post that picture? Here it is, Feb. 16, 8:30 at night with frozen snow on the ground, and you post a beautiful picture of Hwy. 12 going over Lolo Pass. This is pure torture!

Actually, I was just kidding. That is a gorgeous picture and brings back many wonderful memories. I hope to be riding Hwy. 12 early this spring.;) ;) ;) Thank for the post!

Lucky you is a scant, what?, 100 miles from that road?!?!? bastard. :D

KBasa said:
I see a day of riding US 12 in my summer plans now. Awesome picture, knary.

It's a good one, though I prefered some others on that trip even more. Maybe it was the deer the jumped in front of me on that road when it just started to become real fun. That's always a buzz kill. :eek

By the way- If you are running Hwy. 12 be careful of the troopers! Hwy. 12 has proven to be an excellent tax revenue for the State of Idaho.

Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful

Obviously the best thing to do is to ride Hwy 12 in both directions and judge for yourself which was more fun, then do that one again.

Every Wed evening in the Summer (daylight savings time) there is a group ride from Lolo (meet at 5:30pm at the Conoco gas station at Hwys 12 and 93) over Lolo Pass to Lochsa Lodge for the best burgers in the State.

And it's not just deer, watch out for the moose, too.

Back