• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clanking sound on start-up

DesertRider

R1100R "Traveler"
I have a '96 R1100R that makes a curious clanking sound on start-up, particularly when on the choke. It starts with no problem, but when cold and idling, particularly idling on the choke, I hear an irregular clanking which seems to come from the front of the engine. Here's a recording of it:

Recording of engine idling and clanking

In this sound sequence the engine is not quite full cold (I'd started and run it a minute or two a couple of times earlier in the morning), but not fully warmed up. The sequence starts with the engine idling with the choke off, then about 5 seconds into it the choke goes on (you can hear the engine RPM go up), there's the intermittent clanking sound, there's about 25 seconds of that, then I turned off the choke, the idle goes back to normal.

When the engine is fully cold the clanking will sometimes occur with the choke off as well, and once warmed up it doesn't do it at all. The engine seems to run fine otherwise other than occasional surging at steady throttle openings.

Any suggestions on what this might be? This is my first Boxer, so not sure if this kind of clanking is normal start-up noise or something wrong. I've pulled off the pulley cover to see if it might be something under there, everything looks OK.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated -- thanks.

---

History of the bike: It was purchased in '96, ridden for less than 2000 miles, then put into storage until mid-2003, at which point a dealer serviced it and said they did all the right things to bring it out of storage (oil change, brake fluid change, check for leaks, etc.). An elderly gentleman then bought it, rode it for a couple of months, decided it was too big a bike for him, traded it back in. I bought it in December '03, and other than changing the tires (tires were original -- unworn but almost 9 years old), I haven't done much to it but add some accessories and put about 1000 miles on it.

For those with super-sensitive ears (and a fast connection), here's a link to the full-fidelity recording (1.5 Mb):

Full-fidelity recording

Does this sound go away after the bike warms up? Does it go away if you pull the clutch in?

It's really hard to tell from here, but I'm wondering if it's the usual oilhead transmission noise or if you have a cam chain tensioner that's not tensioning like it's supposed to.

KBasa said:
Does this sound go away after the bike warms up? Does it go away if you pull the clutch in?

Checked it this morning when it was full cold. Pulling in the clutch makes no difference. It does go away when the bike is warmed up. Could be the cam chain tensioner? Any other possibilities to check?

If it's the cam chain tensioner, why would it go away once it's warmed up?

Thanks,

The cam chain tensioner works on oil pressure kind of like an hydraulic valve lifter in a Chevy V8. If the tensioner has a partly blocked orifice, it'll take a while to finally get pumped up full to maintain proper chain tension.

DesertRider said:
Could be the cam chain tensioner? Any other possibilities to check?

If it's the cam chain tensioner, why would it go away once it's warmed up?

If it were the valves, you would hear a tick at all rpms. But you can check them.

I think it is your cam chain tensioner. It goes away because warm thin oil can pump up the cam chain tensioner piston - I'm assuming that is how they work. The ticking you hear varies with rpm because the chain flops differently when loose at various rpms. Ever look at a loose drive chain. Change the speed and its like you are looking at variable standing waves.

Even when the oil is cold, does the ticking go away if you take the revs up to 2500 rpm?

I'm new to these oilheads so maybe someone else can help you out with removing the tensioner, testing for sticking, etc. Are these accessible without stripping the engine?

Global Rider said:
I'm new to these oilheads so maybe someone else can help you out with removing the tensioner, testing for sticking, etc. Are these accessible without stripping the engine?
Yes, they are, but the left and right are different. Don't mix 'em up.

Stu

It really doesn't sound like a valve. Loose valves make a ticking or tapping sound and it's very regular. This is irregular and definitely a "clank." You can hear it fairly clearly in the audio file I posted. Just in case I'll do a check of valve clearances, but I really don't think that'
s it.

Loose cam chain tensioner could be it, i.e., the sound could be cam chain slapping on something. But I've never done anything with cam chain tensioners, will have to look up in the manual what to do about them (any thoughts welcome).

Your recording was good, but still, it's really hard to diagnose noises without hearing them in person. What part of sunny AZ do you live in? I'm in North Scottsdale, and the coffee pot is always on.

Stu

When the knocking is going on, put your hand under and to the back side of the throttle body and feel the wheel the throttle cabe hooks to. If it is moving and your finger stoppes the sound, you have found the sorce of the clanking. It won't cause any problems, but some fine adjustment may make it go away. God bless.:)

Roy Barnes said:
When the knocking is going on, put your hand under and to the back side of the throttle body and feel the wheel the throttle cabe hooks to. If it is moving and your finger stoppes the sound, you have found the sorce of the clanking. ...

Great suggestion -- I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Chickenman_26 said:
Your recording was good, but still, it's really hard to diagnose noises without hearing them in person. What part of sunny AZ do you live in? I'm in North Scottsdale, and the coffee pot is always on. Stu

Stu, that's an offer that's hard to pass up, clanking sound or not. Drop me a line (wm-at-thedesertrider.com) and let's get together. I'm in northeast Phoenix.

Back