• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What electronic gadgets are on your bike?

extras

XM Radio
36 inch Mitisubshi-HD Ready
Dish Network 720 PVR
Progressive Scan Sony VHS/DVD
5000 BTU Heater, natural gas fired
Sears (I'm cheap) 2000 watt 220 (split for 110) gen
80G desktop 2.34Hz w/Sony 10 inch flat screen monitor
Printer inn tank bag
Scanner...NEVER!!!
Sears (again) window mount air conditioner
iron and ironing board (collapseable)
5 lbs of ham
Full size 1000MHz wireless phone and ans. machine.

That's it for now.

No GPS. Its a principle thing.

BFF Electric gadgets

I have a Valentine 1. Hey, did I mention that the only electronic peripheral I have is a Valentine 1. The V1 has been serving the need for 9 years.

You know that anything else is unnecessary clutter (read junk).

If I want to listen to my S/O while riding, I might as well stay at home on the porch. I don't need no stinkin' GPS. 6 years of longhaul trucking in a previous life cures you of the need. Especially, when they don't exist.

Besides, a paper map is good fung shui.

Black Fly Fred
:bliss

:D Hi Black Fly,

You may want to upgrade you V1 if yours is 9 years old. The new one is smaller and has better reception on KA and K band.
I went on V1 website and found out you can upgrade or exchange your old unit for the latest version. Mine was 10 yrs old and I got a new one a few months back. It was worth the price!:bliss

V1 update

Hi 1150RT,

I did, thank you. The profile is a bit shorter, however, I didn't notice any difference in sensitivity....

Really, the 2610 is about the only serious electronic gadget I've got. Sometimes I hook up my iPod. I've got my Gerbings for the winter.

Well I have a couple of add ons. But only the bare necessities!!!!!

51585507-M.jpg

"Bump" means what?

BradfordBenn said:

I'm wondering about certain arcane terms in the posts. As I said in an earlier post I've figured out BTW and lol and that's about it. I've seen "bump" a few times, just wondering.

jerryb

jerryb said:
I'm wondering about certain arcane terms in the posts. As I said in an earlier post I've figured out BTW and lol and that's about it. I've seen "bump" a few times, just wondering.

jerryb
Brad was "bumping" the thread to the top of the page.

Guess I'm not too equipped compared to some. I've got a GPS on the bike and an Autocom in the tank bag. I'm afraid to put a radar detector on, because I already ride too fast sometimes-that would only encourage poor behavior. My iPod is not permanent, but I soon hope to wire the built in radio/CD player to the autocom. Just need time to take off bunches of plastic to get to the speakers.

Hotspice said:
What's the little switch in front of your mirror?

That is for the rider to passenger intercom. It also switches the other direction to transmit on the CB radio.

i havd a ram mount for my garmin IQ 3600. I love it. used it this weekend to find a friends house in Hockessin, Delaware, rode out Friday, home last night. Also have Gerbings heated jacket liner and glove liners, best thing that happened to me since gore tex. Got them in February and the only thing that has kept me off the road is ice. would like to add lights, front and rear, and while not electronic am thinking about a better saddle, and lowered pegs.
All these BMW riders with radar detectors, I'm shocked, shocked that Gambling is allowed here :brad, uh, i mean that people on motorcycles speed.

Toys on my 1200GS

On the bike:

- BMW Navigator II Plus (Mottorad Concept mount)
- Battery monitor LED
- Modified garage door opener so that I can press a neat little button and get my baby in the garage.
- Blue-Sea Fuse box for accessories power distribution (PIAA, unswitched socket, tank-bag, spares)

Tank bag contains a triple 12 VDC power outlet unit : IPOD, Motorolla cell phone, Mixit amplifier so I can listen to music and hear directions from the GPS.

Denis R1200GS :brow

dash1.jpg

I also use a Gerbings jacket in the winter, and keep an air compressor under the seat. My next wants are an IPOD, and Autocom. Then I'll be set!

I bought a Garmin in the spring of 2004, because I figured I couldn't make it across the country without one. I have a poor sense of direction. I relied on it heavily. In August of 2005, I picked up my GT in Cleveland and had no way to mount the GPS. I got home just fine. I still don't have a mount for it on the GT (I'm not looking for one), and I'm actually happy about it. The best navigation tool I have is a dry erase marker.

This weekend we went up through VT and Quebec. Garmin was shut off most of the trip (on the K75). And when I did use it, it was because I needed a compass. That's an expensive compass. I jotted down potential route numbers on my windshield with the dry erase, far less distracting than Garmin pushing me to every highway it can find. I did use Garmin to find a Dunkin Donuts. But I'm starting to feel like a reformed GPS user. "Hi, my name is Gail, and I haven't used my GPS in 13,000 miles." :D

SheRidesABeemer said:
This weekend we went up through VT and Quebec. Garmin was shut off most of the trip (on the K75). And when I did use it, it was because I needed a compass. That's an expensive compass. I jotted down potential route numbers on my windshield with the dry erase, far less distracting than Garmin pushing me to every highway it can find. I did use Garmin to find a Dunkin Donuts. But I'm starting to feel like a reformed GPS user. "Hi, my name is Gail, and I haven't used my GPS in 13,000 miles." :D
I think, though, it's because you were in an area that you know reasonably well. I find the Garmin to be a big help in places where I don't know the area so well. Also, I find the audio prompts to be very helpful and less distracting than trying to watch the thing the whole time. If I'm doing a specific route, the audio prompts really help ensure that I don't miss a turn.

I like GPS cause it lets me get lost without being scared. I can always turn it off, then when I need something I turn it back on. :clap

Back