• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1959 R60 still seeking info.....

B

buckeyeclark

I posted earlier about this bike and my Mother-in-law's desire to sell it. I am trying to decide whether or not to sell it for her or to buy it from her. Still looking into finding out what it might be worth so I thought I would post a few pics and see what comments I get. Any ideas or comments would be helpful.....

Attachments

• 000_1730b.JPG
    000_1730b.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 62
Another pic

Here is another pic.....

Attachments

• 000_1739b.JPG
    000_1739b.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 61
Unfortunately a lot of the BMW folks will have a hard time seeing past the color. Color is easy enough to change. It could make someone a really sharp rig. I'd be proud to ride down the road with that thing (though the color is a bit bright). It does seem a shame to not keep it in the family though . . .

j

Unfortunately a lot of the BMW folks will have a hard time seeing past the color. Color is easy enough to change. It could make someone a really sharp rig. I'd be proud to ride down the road with that thing (though the color is a bit bright). It does seem a shame to not keep it in the family though . . .

j

I know that if I do buy it it will be going back to black. I asked her about the color and she told me that her ex-husband told her she could get it painted any color she wanted and she had it painted that color to match her helmet! hahaha

Attachments

• 000_1725b.JPG
    000_1725b.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 51
A couple of questions...just curious:

- does it come with bags? I notice there's a bracket on the sides.

- I can just barely make out some kind of brown/tannish wire that wraps around the front of the engine and connects in at the spark plug wires...what's that? Also is there some sort of bracket that extends out to the left/right side about midway under that tank?

- looks like it's got "highway pegs"...seems like that would be hell trying to get your feet back to the real pegs with all the sidecar braces, etc.,

A couple of questions...just curious:

- does it come with bags? I notice there's a bracket on the sides.

- I can just barely make out some kind of brown/tannish wire that wraps around the front of the engine and connects in at the spark plug wires...what's that? Also is there some sort of bracket that extends out to the left/right side about midway under that tank?

- looks like it's got "highway pegs"...seems like that would be hell trying to get your feet back to the real pegs with all the sidecar braces, etc.,

Yes it comes with bags. They are intact; however, they need some tlc.

The wire connects in at the top near the carb assembly.

Yes it does have "highway" pegs. I have never actually put my feet up on them so I can give you no experienced oppinion on that matter.

The bracket halfway back of the tank is what the horn is attached to.

I will post pics that may show this better.

Attachments

• 000_1727b.JPG
    000_1727b.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 45
and another....

Attachments

• 000_1733b.JPG
    000_1733b.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 45
Oh, I see those wires...that's a strange way to run the throttle cables. Usually they come down the backbone directly underneath the tank and then split out to the carbs. Looks like the tops to the carbs have the receiver nipple pointing too far forward. One can loosen the knurled ring on the top, rotate the inner portion more towards the center of the bike and then retighten the ring. Of course, one would have to rerote the throttle cables to come in at the correct angle.

Edit - Now that I think about it, the top portion might not rotate. I seem to recall that the top has a keyway on it which fits into a slot in the body of the carb. At least that's the way it is on my R69S. - End Edit

What is that tannish stuff that's wrapped around the throttle and spark wires? Maybe that's something to protect them from rubbing or getting too hot if they touch the cylinder/heads.

No speedometer cable?? Looks like the rubber boot, and possibly the bolt that holds the barrel for it has been pookied shut. When everything is installed stock, the bolt is a breather for the transmission. Be careful riding it if this is indeed completely sealed. Air expands in the transmission when it gets hot and needs a place to go...you don't want the escaping air to push out a seal...

Last edited:
Back