• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R - LED lights

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
RUN-N-LITES has something new that works. Rear LEDs with red running/brake lights and yellow turn signals that drop into the turn signal pods. A set was installed in my R1200R, and they do not cause fault codes. They say MOTO-LED and Made in Germany on the package. The owner of the business is checking on getting me a front version made of yellow LEDs that does the same thing as a dual filament bulb (yellow running light and turn signal) - similarly without fault codes.

Cool.

Fred
'07R

BTW - Fred - you're going to be at the Blackthorne Catskill Caper right?

We can do a Farkle(tm) contest.. see who has the bestest, mostest, neatest.. and it will probably cost both of us $$$..

:) Look forward to seeing you there..

I've had them on my bike for a while (Klaus is a friend..) Work great - no faults, perfect fit. You do need to run a few wires through the existing signal mounts - which was no big deal..

See: http://www.eilenberger.net/R1200R_Roadster/R1200Rindex.htm

Specifically: http://www.eilenberger.net/R1200R_Roadster/Images/BrakeLights.jpg

Man, you sure "crapped" your bike out:laugh :laugh :laugh with them dadburn stickers! :stick ... you have to read his own captions of his pictures to not get on me! I put a MOA sticker on mine within a week to start my collection
I have ridden a 1200 roadster and walked by a new one a few times yesterday....STAY AWAY is one voice I am hearing! I got itchy checkbook fingers this week...sure like the black one.......:bolt

Another farkle down the tubes

RUN-N-LITES has something new that works.
Alas, I spoke (I wrote) too soon. I had complaints from three riding buddies when I was leading a group in the Catskills that they were unable to see my new LED turn signals when sunlight is on the lenses.

I ride 90% in the daytime, so out they come. Back to good ol' filament light bulbs as Thomas Edison intended.

Fred

Alas, I spoke (I wrote) too soon. I had complaints from three riding buddies when I was leading a group in the Catskills that they were unable to see my new LED turn signals when sunlight is on the lenses.

I ride 90% in the daytime, so out they come. Back to good ol' filament light bulbs as Thomas Edison intended.

Fred
Fred and I both had the experience (funny - we were both in the Catskills.. go figure, I believe Fred bought the last round of Guiness.. but I digress..)

Talked to Klaus about this about an hour ago. He'll be back in touch with me shortly. He's contacting Germany.

It may be as simple as a different resistor being used in series with the LEDs to limit the current draw is too big - dropping the brightness (although they seemed very bright at night) - or it might be these should only be used with clear turnsignal lenses.

Will report back when I know more.. meanwhile - don't throw them away just yet Fred.. a "fix" may be in the offing.

Very cool.

Maybe it needs more LEDs jammed in every available space on that surface.

Fred
'07 R
Possible - but I'm willing to bet one Guiness Stout that using clear lens covers will solve the visibility problem. With the sun shining on the light, and the running light working - the difference between orange from the sun PLUS orange from the running lights and the additional brightness of them working as turn signals to me - appears the signal function could easily be washed out.

I think clears are what I'll try and see if it makes a diff - needed an excuse to buy a pair anyway.

Don,

How about a little more intel on this op?

Paul
Paul - sorry - you're a tad too late (and SO close..) it was last weekend. A number of people got together to drink beer, eat food, ride roads and generally do what riders do.

Was lots of fun - mebbe we should make it an official event next year.

Back