• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Future Rally Site question

MurphyPeoples

Hey everyone. This question has probably been asked in the past, but being a "nube" to the club... I'll throw it out there.

Has the Rally ever been held in, or been considered to be held in, Spartanburg SC? I've only lived here for about 5 years, so I'm not sure. The reason I ask is that the BMW Manfacturing Plant hosts several "Wheels" shows every year. The biggest being for the owners of cars that were built at the plant. This Rally lasts 3 days. Now hang on a second and let me explain if you're not familiar with the BMW plant.

They have a wonderful Museum that includes amoungst other things a very nice Motorcycle Display of some very famous BMW's. I'd say there's about 15 or more BMW motorcycles, plus engines that are "cut open" for display. Plus plants tours and so forth. You can check out a quick picture of some of the bikes here on my website:
http://www.projectbmwr100s.com/projectbmwr100s/June_2007.html

It is incredible the way that BMW rolls out the red carpet for the owners Rally. They allow all functions to be set up on their grounds around the "Zentrum" (Museum) along with hundreds of cars for display. I should think they would be thrilled to have a BMW Motorcycle rally held here too.
Wouldn't surprise me if Motorrad came from Germany for the event. I'm a Fluid technician that deals with the BMW plant on a weekly basis. I've been honored to have been invited and visited their plants in Dingolfing and Munich for work purposes. These folks take great pride in their product, and I really think that our Rally would be warmly welcomed.

Just a thought.
Sincerely,
Murphy

You might ask about the BMWRA rally held in Spartanburg a few years ago. Seems there was a big to-do involving the local sheriff, state police, etc.

I heard about a problem with a motorcycle fund raiser at Spartanburg several years ago that had trouble with the police but I don't believe it was a BMWRA rally. Was there ever a BMWRA rally in Spartanburg?

Do a search, somewhere around here are the requirements for a site for the MOA rally. It includes things like 2,000 hotel rooms within 20 miles, 100,000 square feet of vendor space, the ability for the MOA to conduct its own beer sales, and so on.

I did a search through most of the California county fairgrounds and found maybe one or two that met these requirements. It's rather daunting.

You might ask about the BMWRA rally held in Spartanburg a few years ago. Seems there was a big to-do involving the local sheriff, state police, etc.

I believe that was Fontana Village. (NC) Helicopters flying over, police baiting riders on Deal's Gap, etc. It was the sheriff who's since deceased.

I think the Spartanburg SC discrimination issue was a fund raiser. The AMA worked that incident pretty hard to represent us.

http://www.mrf.org/pdf/WhitePapers/Volume5-1998/DealingwithBikeHaters.pdf

The above link should give you some background on Fontana and Spartanburg

Regards, Rod.

The article you linked to is over 13 years old. I've lived in the Greenville/Spartanburg area for 7 years and will say that in my time we have a VERY supportive local law enforcement agency. Most of whom RIDE motorcycles. In fact our state troopers ride BMW's here in the upstate! We also have one of the strongest chapters of "Patrioit Riders" in our area, attending both veteran and law enforcement funerals.

I find it sad that I've thrown an idea out there for a future spot, and only negative history (some of it rumored in the article) are the replies. Though I've never been to a BMW MOA Rally... this gives me an understanding for the writer of the post "This is going to be unpopular".
Murphy

This would, I think, be a neat place, provided it has the appropriate facilities and such. The factors that lead to the unpleasantness in Fontana have been resolved and the RA had a very successful national rally in Asheville, NC this year.

I'm not sure what the riding is like near Spartanburg, but I know the western part of the state is pretty fine.

Thanks!

greenville-spartanburg is my favorite business trip
been there numerous times,
I could use a sweet tea now that I think of it...

In Spartenburg, isn't that the place BWM Xplor might set up a GS School that will rival the one in Europe ? I thought I heard that from an Xplor Customer Service Rep at West Bend. Maybe it is a site for just a weekend with Jerry Lewis ?

I'll check on this as I'm at the plant a couple of times a month doing service work. Right now they have a marvelous area that is their "Driving School". They hold classes there for both Road Course wet/dry and Off Road for the new Sport Ute they're building. It's first class all the way, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were to put in a GS school.... the terrain is already there.

BTW - thanks for the positive posts of late. There are 3 fair grounds within 30 minutes of the BMW plant... 2 if you take out Spartanburg's. Since they're all privately owned I don't think it would be an issue to get beer permits and so forth.
Murph

In Spartenburg, isn't that the place BWM Xplor might set up a GS School that will rival the one in Europe ? I thought I heard that from an Xplor Customer Service Rep at West Bend. Maybe it is a site for just a weekend with Jerry Lewis ?

Okay - I talked with Annette at the BMW driving School this morning (website is here: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/PerformanceCenter/school.htm )

she said that INDEED the Performance Center IS in Discussion about providing a BMW GS Cycle School at the facility. She said that right now, they are taking names and phone numbers from interested parties who would like to be contacted for initial start up classes. At that point the proper representative from the school will contact you and provide information. I just put my name on the list!
If you're interested call:
1-888-345-4269

I'll post this info over in another forum too.

Hope this helps!
Murphy

There are 3 fair grounds within 30 minutes of the BMW plant... 2 if you take out Spartanburg's. Since they're all privately owned I don't think it would be an issue to get beer permits and so forth.
Murph

If you've seen the grounds and they meet the site selection criteria, you might want to contact the RSSC chair, Chuck Manley with contact names and fairground specifics if you have them. cmanley@bmwmoa.org

If you've seen the grounds and they meet the site selection criteria, you might want to contact the RSSC chair, Chuck Manley with contact names and fairground specifics if you have them. cmanley@bmwmoa.org

Karol - thanks for the heads up. I've been to two of the three - Laurens County and Spartanburg County fairgrounds, but not Greenville's. I'll check out the criteria and make some calls, then take your advice. I'll post what I find out back here.
Murph

Hi Murphy, I was responding to your question regarding whether there had been a rally in Spartanburg.

I did not indicate that I felt Spartanburg was a poor choice, simply that there had been events in the area.

Regards, Rod.

Back