Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Future Rally Site question

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
    Murphy,
    Good for you for taking an active part in the club, new guy or not your input is just as relevant & useful as anyone else's.

I agree that upstate SC is a nice location for riding and there is lots to see & do. Having said that, my concern would be the heat/humidity in July. I'm of the belief that the Rally dates should be flexible in order to allow for all areas of the country to be considered (ie. Spring or Fall dates to take advantage of southern locations), but that line of thinking is not currently in vogue with the MOA leadership. I guess what I'm saying is that before you go too far, you may want to run some climate data to see what the realities are.

Ride safe,
    George
    George -
    Though it was 103 in Clinton SC on August 8th (what I guess you're keying on)
    other Temperatures that day were:
    Philadelphia - 95
    New York - 93
    Richmond - 101
    Bagdad - 110
    It was hot everywhere.
    The average temperature in July for the Upstate of SC was 92 degrees. For a guy like me that grew up in Florida it was very pleasant.

When I watch Detroit Tigers baseball at night (I've got the MLB Package and have been a long time Tigers fan) I have to roll my eyes when they complain about the "HOT" 85 degree temperature at game time. I guess your view of hot is dependant on where you're located. I'm sure that "Shade Hound" Yankees roll their eyes when we in the south complain about 30 degrees with 2 inches of snow being terrible weather!
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

I'd go to a rally in SC in a heartbeat: Never ridden in the state, but I've got family (and a business) there and always wanted to see upstate on 2 wheels...

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
    I agree that upstate SC is a nice location for riding and there is lots to see & do. Having said that, my concern would be the heat/humidity in July. I'm of the belief that the Rally dates should be flexible in order to allow for all areas of the country to be considered (ie. Spring or Fall dates to take advantage of southern locations), but that line of thinking is not currently in vogue with the MOA leadership. I guess what I'm saying is that before you go too far, you may want to run some climate data to see what the realities are.George
    I've only been to 5 national rallies. Three of them were RA Rallies in the south (they did the spring & fall time). Of the southern rallies, the one that should have been the coolest was the hottest, the one that should have been the hottest was perfect and the one that should have been the most comfortable was cold. They all defied the temperature averages. When you have to plan a year and more in advance, the weather is a crapshoot. I remember the MOA Rally in Ohio where a tornado touched down in a community less than an hour after we rode through it. A late summer or early fall rally in the southeast always leaves the possibility of hurricanes.

I do think the determination of the MOA to have the rally in July every year makes a rally south of the Mason-Dixon line unlikely. Also, I don't know about the statistics but I feel July is one of the most dangerous months of the year for riding because the roads are full of stressed out drivers taking their families on vacation and driving far longer hours than they are accustomed.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.