Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad News for Pure Stodge and MOA

JCABRANES
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    was the accident after the rally involving the sidecar also alcohol related??
    Gilly
    Not to the best of my knowledge. It appears that the couple on the bike swerved into oncomming traffic to avoid rear ending another vehicle.

JCABRANES
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlejan6447 View Post
    However, you can't deny that she did do everything right that night. Designated Driver, spent the night at a friends house, and then drove home.
    BS. She was legally drunk. She drove. She killed someone. FYI I have read the criminal complaint. She, in her statement to police, said nothing about a designated driver or spending the night at a friends house. But even if she had, she got drunk... she drove... and she killed someone. Do you really expect me or anyone else here to feel sorry for her because she feels bad about killing Dan Christ? It is apologists like you that make it necessary for us to keep an eye on the proceedings. BTW, I don't think your friend feels half as bad as Dan Christ's mother, father, wife and son.

Here is page 1 of the criminal complaint for those of you that have not seen it. Page 2 to follow.

Schehr Complaint Pg 1
    Last edited by JCabranes; 07-31-2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: add pg1 of crim complaint

JCABRANES
    Schehr Complaint Pg 2

you can't deny that she did do everything right
    Actually I can. She got in a car and drove with a .12, and because of that fateful decision, she took a man's life. She took everything he was, and everything he ever could have been.

She may be a nice person, but if justice is served, and I sincerely hope it is, she will spend the next 25 years in prison and not see the free light of day until she is 52 years old.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

However, you can't deny that she did do everything right that night. Designated Driver, spent the night at a friends house, and then drove home.

A rider is dead. Someone's father, someone's husband, someone's friend- is dead, because she was on the wrong side of the road, drunk at 8 o'clock in the morning.

She did "everything right that night"? She blew a .12 at the scene- she must've been close to .20 when she went to bed. I think the credit for her decision to stay at her friends' house should go to her friends; or maybe to her inability to locate her car.....hardly to her sound reasoning or high morals. It's too bad they couldn't have kept her there another day.

My guess is that most of the readers of this forum have driven or ridden home a time or two that we shouldn't have- this time the consequences were tragic. She's a young girl- I have no doubt that she's horrified at what she's done. It's almost certainly the biggest event of her life- if she remembers it.

When you kill somebody, driving drunk, the piper must be paid. I'm not sure if they ask you if you're 'sorry'. Maybe in South Dakota....

But I'll bet you'll find that you're the only person who thinks she did everything right that night.
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    Just an FYI since no one in this forum actually knows the defendant. She is probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet. And she did not drive home straight from the Sussex Lion Daze, She had a designated driver, and spent the night at a friends house, in the morning she got up and headed home. as far as her having i .12 blood alcohol level, i don't see how that is possible with seven hours of sleep. She feels absolutely horrible about what happened, and is grieving the loss. However, you can't deny that she did do everything right that night. Designated Driver, spent the night at a friends house, and then drove home.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlejan6447
    I know that the police report said nothing about her staying at a friends house, but i was at the festival with her. i know she did not drive home that night. everyone is judging her from what you have heard from police reports and news. i have talked to her, and i'm not saying that she did do everything right. She should not have driven that morning. I am only responding as a very close friend who is showing her support in this. I'm not going to deny that it was her fault, and that this is a tragedy. All I am trying to state is that i care about her, and her family. i am deeply sorry for the death of Daniel Christ, and for the loss to his family. i know that i can not even relate to what they are going through right now. When i heard about this i thought first about his family, then about my friends. and to answer BeemerPhil's question, she does remember it.
    Re: the parts in red: You're going to have a tough time here.

Re: the part in blue: Does she remember killing the man, or not? She made a statement to the police that she didn't remember it. Now she says she does remember crossing hte yellow line and killing an innocent person? Perhaps you should share this latest revelation with the DA, so that he might consider escalating the charge from vehicular homicide to murder.

You know, everyone has the right to remain silent. Not everyone has the intelligence to do so.
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

turtlejan6447
    I never said that she remembered going across the yellow line, i just said that she remembers the aftermath. And if you want to get technical, in the first post, i never said that i couldn't deny that she has done everything right, i said you. and you don't agree with that. I respect that. I am looking at this as a close friend, as any of you would do if you were in the same situation. and you can say that i am unintelligent, i don't care, but of course this is not about me. Everyone is angry that this happened. I'm angry from both sides. If this wasn't a close friend, i would be right with everyone. but since she is, i have to look out for her as well since no one else truly is.

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    If a "good friend" of mine had killed a member of a particularly identifiable group, I hope that I would have the good taste and decency not to beg sympathy or compassion for my friend from that very group.
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

JCABRANES
    I believe that what you are seeing here is a preview of the defense's argument at sentencing. This is exactly why we can not take our eye off the ball and why it is imperative we stay involved.

Ante Up

NO, she didn't do anything right, but I do object to the knee jerk reactions of those who are calling her a murderer. Manslaughter or criminally negligent, yes, but there was no intent to go out and murder someone. How about some more rational reactions?
    I too am short and slight, and I can tell you that one drink would be enough to make someone her weight drunk. (Yup, I'm a very cheap date!) There is another thread where many of you admit to speeding, crossing solid yellow lines etc. Has no one on this forum ever had one drink too many? Suppose only ONE drink was too many for you? Would you have the will power to never drink? After more than one drink, she wouldn't have the brains left to make any sort of sensible decision.
    I have trouble riding because of an injury years ago caused by a drunk driver. I don't condone drinking and driving, but I do try to do rational things to prevent it. The AMA has done major work on trying to increase the penalties for drunk drivers ever since one of your politicians with a HISTORY of driving drunk got away with killing a motorcyclist. They have also been raising money for a new "Hurt Report" on motorcycle accidents.
    So are you just ranting or are you supporting the groups that are trying to do something about drunk driving? Do you donate to MADD? Do you take the keys of any friend who has had a drink and thinks he/she can drive/ride? Time to put your money where your mouth is. Punishment is not going to bring Dan back. All my sympathy goes to his family and friends. It is a terrible loss that nothing will ever compensate for. The woman who hit him will pay for the rest of her life, one way or another, and it won't help.

Holly

Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    NO, she didn't do anything right, but I do object to the knee jerk reactions of those who are calling her a murderer. Manslaughter or criminally negligent, yes, but there was no intent to go out and murder someone. How about some more rational reactions?...................... The woman who hit him will pay for the rest of her life, one way or another, and it won't help.

Holly
    I kind of agree with you from a certain perspective but there are other things at work here.

1. drunk at 8:00 AM!?! This was not a case of simple one time poor judgment. This girl has a problem.

2. Our current drunk driving laws don't work......or at least they aren't a deterrent. I live in a town small enough that they still publish the week's police and court blotter. There are only about 6000 people in ALL of Adams county. Every week there are AT LEAST 3 court appearances for DUI 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th offense. These people just keep driving after the revocation.

Taking these in to account it is probably a >50% probability that this lady will offend again. Who's she gonna hit next time at 8:00 AM? Some kids riding their BMW bikes to their local playground?

I myself make this a mission. Whenever I see one of these clowns I turn 'em in. Hell this past winter I even pursued one after a hit-and-run until the cops could take over.

JerryHutchison
    I hope that someone who goes to the courthouse will have enlarged photos of Dan and his family to hold up. We need to put a face to the victim.
    Jerry Hutchison

Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Ju as far as her having i .12 blood alcohol level, i don't see how that is possible with seven hours of sleep.
    That's because it's not possible. She would have had to consumes at least 4 drinks in a 2 hour period previous to the crash just to be lagally drunk at .08.

I never said that she remembered going across the yellow line, i just said that she remembers the aftermath. And if you want to get technical, in the first post, i never said that i couldn't deny that she has done everything right, i said you. and you don't agree with that. I respect that. I am looking at this as a close friend, as any of you would do if you were in the same situation. and you can say that i am unintelligent, i don't care, but of course this is not about me. Everyone is angry that this happened. I'm angry from both sides. If this wasn't a close friend, i would be right with everyone. but since she is, i have to look out for her as well since no one else truly is.
    If her lawyer discovers you are on message boards claiming to "know details from the source" he would rattle your cage big time. We understand the message, but it's very hard to swallow after such a senseless loss.

But your timing, and this medium, are not the best choices for this.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

but there was no intent to go out and murder someone
    Personally I believe deciding to get into a car while drunk and drive on a public road constitutes extreme recklessness. Sort of like intentionally shooting a gun into a crowd of people - I wasn't aiming at anyone in particular so is it murder if I hit and kill someone?

I don't condone drinking and driving, but I do try to do rational things to prevent it.
    I think you'll find most of us here agree, many of us actually go to great lengths to be responsible with alcohol. I'd bet some of us have even suffered similar or even greater losses to drunk drivers.

The woman who hit him will pay for the rest of her life, one way or another, and it won't help.
    I really don't care what how heavily or how long this weighs on her conscience, for the same reason that I really don't care how badly a pedophile feels after he's been caught.

The fact is, she knowingly committed a crime that led to the violent and vicious killing of another human being - I sincerely hope that should she be found guilty she wakes up every morning for the next 25 years in an 8' by 4' room staring at a cold grey wall.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages