Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Knuckleheaded Moron

Quote Originally Posted by Motard View Post
    A deer jumped out in front of me in the last miles while returning from the rally. What a moron, didn't he know that I might have been killed? Am I trivializing the argument? No, regardless the debate here, endangerments to our well being and riding safety will occur next week, next year, every time we take to the road. The truth is, I and anyone reading may someday unwittingly endanger another rider, an insect in the eye, a bee in the jacket, a lapse in judgment.
    Recognize the situation, react, move on - let it go. As long as we keep riding there be plenty more challenges down the road.

Motard
    Are you saying the S rider was as smart as a deer?
    Yes, lets move on though. Great idea.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

BOKRIJDER
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Wait a dad gumm minute - Wisconsin law clearly states:

346.21 Right-of-way of livestock.

The operator of a motor vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to livestock being driven over or along any highway but any person in charge of such livestock shall use reasonable care and diligence to open the roadway for vehicular traffic.

Take it up with the deer herder.

Maryland jurisdiction - If you lived here, you would realize that all deer in Maryland must take a training course and be duly registered to dwell in the vicinity of highways. A bit tough to police, but what the hey. We're in Maryland, I can live with it.

Motard

chilei
    Quote Originally Posted by tonynace View Post
    Irritating is not the word for it. If it was just irritating, I wouldn't have mentioned it. What he did is downright dangerous. If he wants to kill himself, fine, but don't take me with him.
    Sounds to me like you refuse to take responsibility for your own actions.

1. You were riding in the passing lane and not paying attention to traffic around you, paying more attention to your pride in a new exhaust. The passing lane is for passing, if you are not passing, get out of it!

2. You pass that you were overwhelmed by his speed, 20 MPH (your estimation, not mine) is not really that fast. If 20 MPH overwhelms you, it may be best that you avoid the higher speeds of the interstate... at your claim of 80, you were likely passing other's at 20MPH more.

Now you can claim that I did not see everything, true, I made the above using nothing more than what you gave us. I have also not heard his side. But from what you tell us, you were endangering other's also.

I am privately embarassed anytime I see a vehicle that I did not realize had switched lanes, come up behind me, etc... I pride myself in being keenly aware of what is around me. You are on a bike, you are the one that is going to lose the battle of gross tonnage, you need to avoid the accident. Roadsmanship is a skill to be constantly honed.

As it is, you should have just taken it as a personal lesson that you need to improve on, after all, you can not change the actions of another, but you can change the impact of the actions on yourself!

Hope your exhaust is great and glad you got home safely!

chilei
    [QUOTE=cruizbz;223211]
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post

So, exactly how many blue K1200 s bikes have you seen in the U.S.?

I always check behind me when I go to pass someone both in my mirror and by looking behind. If, the guy is not aware of what is going on around him. Nobody to blame but his own poor riding skills.

Besides, a 20 MPH difference while passing is not that great. I'd rather ride with someone capable of doing 100MPH, than some one that is oblivious to his surroundings.
    :

I'd even rather ride with a guy on a green GT than someone who is clueless!

I didn't want to do it but y'all have forced me to:

19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

chilei
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerPhil View Post
    But tonynace has a point- you can't watch the mirrors all the time, or you run an increased risk of finding trouble in front of you. I don't think he did anything to invite this situation- a nutcase passing at 3-digit speeds, in the same lane, is looking for release from this world- and will likely find it soon enough.
    If you can not pay attention when riding and be able to see in your mirrors, then you are not really riding in a prudent manner and should consider something a bit safer, like a cage or, if you like the wind in your hair, a big wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by Motard View Post
    Maryland jurisdiction - If you lived here, you would realize that all deer in Maryland must take a training course and be duly registered to dwell in the vicinity of highways. A bit tough to police, but what the hey. We're in Maryland, I can live with it.

Motard
    OOPs, my mistake.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

chilei
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    Guess what, when I'm on the road in normal traffic I believe I do "own" my lane for 3 seconds in front and in back of me. I also get royally pissed when someone decides there riding style is more important than my own or my family's personal safety.

Unless the Yamutz on the "S" bike was going to the hospital or some other emergency, HE WAS ABSOLUTELY, DEAD WRONG!
    So you think you just "own the lane"... Maybe you should familiarize yourself with a thing called the "LAW". There is a law called "failure to yeild to traffic", also one called "impeding the flow of traffic", and in some states, "failure to vacate lane".

So while you may think you own the lane, the law states otherwise. The US would be a safer place to drive if the police would simply enforce the laws.
    :

chilei
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    I didn't want to do it but y'all have forced me to:

That is the goods Roy!!!:

If you can not pay attention when riding and be able to see in your mirrors, then you are not really riding in a prudent manner and should consider something a bit safer, like a cage or, if you like the wind in your hair, a big wheel!
    LoL - I think even the diehard ERC instructors would tell you to take your eyes off your mirrors and break the sentinel for idiots suddenly popping into your lane at triple-digit speeds, to look at what's in front of you, at least occasionally.

"failure to yield to traffic"
    I think that is the whole issue...
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Everyone needs to watch out for traffic, in front, to the side, and to the rear. But let's say the speed limit is 65. If you are going 75, 85, 95 or more, you now become an unexpected hazard. You are breaking the law and you need to excersize extreme caution (like not drive 100 mph when there is traffic) and certainly not do a lane share or even next lane pass. It is irresponsible to drive that way, no better than driving drunk.
    The law doesn't define what is or isn't hazardous. In many communities, the speed limit might be 65 but traffic is moving at 75 or 80. Around here, the speed limit might be 35 and people move at 20 or so. .

belquar
    yawn.

WAITERquick a double espresso for our friend in post 72.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Gimme a break!

To the few posters out there ragging on Tony for his post, you are really hilarious... I'm going to have to assume that you are just kidding with him or that you routinely lane-split at high speed to extract revenge on any other rider who is not perfect. You really sound silly at best. Tony could have been having cheese and crackers in the left-hand lane on his LT, or reading a book, or talking on his cell phone. It really does not matter what he was doing. None of the above would have displayed safe and courteous riding skills but it doesn't excuse another rider passing him in the same lane. Period. The passing rider, regardless of what kind of bike he was on, is the one who put both riders in danger... not Tony. For the record, Tony clearly stated that he was passing in the left lane and checked to make sure he was not pulling out in front of anyone. He was later passed by the approaching rider. I'm not sure where the confusion comes in. If Tony were picking cracker crumbs off his tank bag when the other rider approached, the safe and courteous response from the approaching rider is to slow down and if Tony spent the next minute or two slicing some smelly cheese while in the left lane, the rider behind should pass him safely in another lane. Simple as that. To suggest anything else is just noise and rather junvenile.

I also should note that I too read some of the thread on the S-bike forum and to put the attacks on Tony in perspective, the inital post referred to Tony's post as (paraphrasing) "the typical way the rank & file MOA members vew S-bike riders." So Tony, look at it this way, you've been promoted to representing the MOA for all things related to S-bike riders. You are now officially the S-bike Czar.

By the way... can I have a slice of that smelly cheese?
    Keith
    MOA# 124435
    2006 R1200RT
    2005 R1150RT (sold)
    1987 Hurricane 1000 (RIP)
    1985 Suzuki GS1150ES (Still alive in friends hands)
    1982 Honda CB750F (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by chilei View Post
    So you think you just "own the lane"... Maybe you should familiarize yourself with a thing called the "LAW". There is a law called "failure to yeild to traffic", also one called "impeding the flow of traffic", and in some states, "failure to vacate lane".

So while you may think you own the lane, the law states otherwise. The US would be a safer place to drive if the police would simply enforce the laws.
    :
    Of couse, oh expert of the law, "right of way" and failure to grant said might just apply as well. However since it does not support flagrant disregard for other users of the road, perhaps will ignore that one.

Oh yeah, if he had hit Tony at a mere 20mph speed differential (by the way, go run into something at 20mph and tell me if it hurts) and they had both gone down (at 80mph) and Tony had died, the appropriate law if the prosecutor chose to apply it might be "vehicular manslaughter" or something of the sort. All of course, considering the "S" bike rider was absolutely justified by the "LAW" you quoted. Apparently the "LAW" as well as the"law" of common sense are different in my world.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT