Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Accident Sunday near Rally site?

JCABRANES
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't sent by Mr. Bauer... that looks like the work of Kristin Cabranes

Road Scholar & Vagabond

info on case & giving support

Quote Originally Posted by gsmetal View Post
    Can you please keep us updated on what happens to the women who murdered the rider?

The legal proceedings can be followed online:

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl

State of Wisconsin vs. Darcy L. Schehr
    Dodge County Case Number 2007CF000245
    940.09(1)(a); Homicide by Intoxicated Use of Vehicle; Felony D

Her preliminary hearing will be 13:30 on 02AUG, and some local BMW riders are planning to attend. If I am able, I will attend every court appearance of this woman. Hopefully, she'll have the sense to plead guilty. She did blow 50% over the legal blood alcohol limit (yes, at 8am), admitted drinking heavily Sat. night, and admitted falling asleep at the wheel.

If you'd like to write & express your opinion on the matter, here's the guy to write:

Steven G. Bauer
    Dodge County District Attorney
    Dodge County Justice Facility
    210 W Center St., 3rd Floor
    Juneau, WI; 53039

Phone: (920) 386-3610
    Fax: (920) 386-3623

Bauer.steve@mail.da.state.wi.us
    http://www.co.dodge.wi.us/da/

I heard from Gina that she's helping set up an education fund for Dan's son. Other people have suggested sending a contribution direct to his widow, Christine Stockard, as they will certainly have expenses.

To the best of my knowledge, the Iowa City group is the contact for contributions:

Pure Stodge Touring Association
    PSTA
    PO Box 2143
    Iowa City, IA

Here's a nicely-done article:
    http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...707180321/1079

~ Krysta
    Milwaukee, WI

krystas @ juno.com

-

bmdubyou
    I believe in IL one only has to post 10% of the bond...if that is the case for this woman-$250 bucks is nothing...the full $2500 is a joke for murdering someone.
    I have never in my life known of one benefit of drinking alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by mcclimans84rt View Post
    I believe in IL one only has to post 10% of the bond...if that is the case for this woman-$250 bucks is nothing...the full $2500 is a joke for murdering someone.
    I have never in my life known of one benefit of drinking alcohol.
    Wisconsin law applies in this case. Wisconsin requires that full bond amount be posted.

bmdubyou
    "Wisconsin law applies in this case. Wisconsin requires that full bond amount be posted."

Good...hopefully this gal learns a lesson. I dont know how many tiimes Ive heard of someone out on bond and doing it again. SO stupid.

Justice vs. Just Punishment

This case should bring forth an awareness to all, not just the motorcyclists, that killing motorcyclists is really a minor crime in most places.

Motorcyclists are viewed as collateral damage by most lawmakers and as a nuisance by others.

The time and effort that all riders invest into changing the viewpoint and ultimately the laws has a direct effect upon our plight.

Possibly some might say that Dan Christ's death is not at all political. I beg to differ. I am not going to hijack this forum, I am here to remind everyone that is concerned with his death and others to write letters and to show up in court.

Justice served under the current law will seem to be justice denied.

What is just punishment for killing a motorcyclist with an Other Vehicle.

Should the minimum fine be property damage and burial costs directly transferable to the estate?

Would it be more just if the punishment were an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth?

When do you fight for your life?

i hope the trial determines a just punishment

I suppose we can only wait to hear the initial hearing in august before assuming they are minimizing this motorcyclists death. If this is like most drunk driving accidents, she will serve time for this crime. She is only 27yrs old, and she made a mistake.....but it cost the life of a fellow rider. I feel horrible about the whole situation because there is no true just outcome when a young person's life is going to be ruined because of a careless mistake on her part. I must admit I feel very bad for this unfortunate woman to have gotten herself in such a perdicament. However, I too vote for her to receive a very stiff punishment. It is imperative that anyone in this situation (driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and killing someone as a result) be held to the absolute highest standard our justice system is allowed to do. I am against the death penalty so I vote against that. I am glad I am not on the jury to determine the fate of this young woman....she has caused a great deal of grief to a lot of people, but the most grief she has caused to herself....she ruined her own life in a single blink of an eye. What punishment would make the overall scenario any better. My heart goes out to the family of the rider. It could have been any one of us.....hearing real life stories like this are humble reminders that no matter how much planning you do, and how careful you are, how well you maintain your bike....ultimately your entire existence may end up at the hands a drunk 27yr old..

peace.

bmdubyou
    I stand in agreement...I wouldnt wish to be on the jury either.

"....ultimately your entire existence may end up at the hands a drunk 27yr old.. "

thats quite a sobering statement....
    Last edited by mcclimans84rt; 07-30-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: edited something

Quote Originally Posted by goldeisen View Post
    This case should bring forth an awareness to all, not just the motorcyclists, that killing motorcyclists is really a minor crime in most places.

Motorcyclists are viewed as collateral damage by most lawmakers and as a nuisance by others.
    Once more -- I would like to reiterate that the Motorcycle Lobby in Wisconsin is very strong and very loud. I have all the confidence in the world that this very sad situation wil be handled appropriately by our juducial system.

It will help, however, if there is a strong showing at the courthouse for her first appearance, on August 2nd. I would like to thank Jack and Kris Cabranes for their diligence, keeping this in the forefront of the local riders (including HOG and the Goldwing group) and also here on the forum.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Another Serious Injury

Fortunately this wasn't a fatality, but a bad injury. Rodger Ragan, the Vision Vest vendor who was at West Bend was seriously injured on Sunday evening going home from the rally. He ran into the back of a truck in Cincinnati. He broke his left femur and wrist and destroyed his motorcycle and cargo trailer. He spent almost a week in Cincinnati and was transferred, by ground ambulance to the hospital in High Point, NC. The expectation is that he will be in the hospital, doing rehab, for another month. He has had surgery on his femur and wrist.

Cards could be sent to:

Rodger Ragan
    c/o High Point Regional - IRC
    601 N. Elm St.
    Room C414
    High Point, NC 27262

I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you have time to drop him a line.

Greg "Wide Load" Miller
    Greenwood, IN
    Last edited by wideload; 07-31-2007 at 03:40 AM.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

Update on Rodger Ragan

I talked to Rodger this afternoon. He will probably be released from the hospital on Friday the 3rd. He has much therapy and recovery ahead of him however he will do that at home. If you wish to send cards to him now you would want to use his home address:

Rodger Ragan
    1300 Mock Road
    High Point, NC 27265

Greg "Wide Load" Miller
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

Update on Rodger Ragan

This is the first I've heard about Rodger. I wasn't able to attend the West Bend rally this year, but I have been reading about some of these accidents since they were posted. It's always sad to hear about motorcycle accidents, but you usually don't know the persons involved, so it's a bit removed.

However, I did get a chance to get to know Rodger in Lima, OH at the MOA rally in 2005, and I have to say he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met. I had purchased one of his Vision Vests before attending the MOA at Lima, and then I got a chance to sit down with him for several hours discussing everything from apples to Vision Vests. I truley believe my vest has kept me out of some bad situations and I don't ride without it. I'm glad to hear he is "relatively" okay.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LBurner View Post
    This is the first I've heard about Rodger. I wasn't able to attend the West Bend rally this year, but I have been reading about some of these accidents since they were posted. It's always sad to hear about motorcycle accidents, but you usually don't know the persons involved, so it's a bit removed.

However, I did get a chance to get to know Rodger in Lima, OH at the MOA rally in 2005, and I have to say he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met. I had purchased one of his Vision Vests before attending the MOA at Lima, and then I got a chance to sit down with him for several hours discussing everything from apples to Vision Vests. I truley believe my vest has kept me out of some bad situations and I don't ride without it. I'm glad to hear he is "relatively" okay.

Larry
    I just met Rodger at West Bend. I also found him to be a really great person. We talked for a long time about a variety of subjects and had a wonderful evening.

I am glad to hear he will be going home sooner than expected.

I know that he will have some horrendous medical bills from this as well as lost income while he recovers. Perhaps those on this board and elsewhere (I'm sure he has thousands of friends from across the country who may be on forums other than this one) can find a way to help.
    Ride Well

HOBBS204

Let's all stick together

Can anyone find out if there will be a fund set up to donate some financial assistance to the family of this fellow rider.

Kristin

donations

I think that Gina's BMW amy be able to give more information about doantions for Daniel Christ.

Gina's BMW

ginasbmw@aol.com

800-598-4462
    Last edited by Kristin; 08-10-2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: boo boo