Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riding Pants

walnut11

Question Riding Pants

Ok so it is too bluming cold to ride and chains on the LT just don't cut it.
    So I need to get some new riding britches, anybody know Motoport/cycleport products. I am looking at Ultra ll kevlar or Ultra ll cordova(sp) pants.
    Any input good bad or indifferent would be helpful.
    TIA
    David
    Stockbridge Mi.

Don't forget your towel
    Back when I was sidecaring my way through Chicago winters I wore my roadcrafter with heavy fleece underneath and stayed fairly warm. The big knee pads worked great as an extra layer of insulation. The real problem areas turned out to be toes and fingers. Airheads are better than K's in the winter 'cause you get a little bit of warm air blowing over your feet. 3 fingered snowmobile gloves (think Spock giving the "live long and prosper" sign) allow more dexterity than mittens but let your fingers keep each other warm. An electric vest is a wonderful thing too.

Steve

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

What Steve said ...

And then some.

Right now, my interest seems to be on Gerbings heated clothing. I am at the point in life in which layering up until I resemble the Pillsbury dough boy in a red Roadcrafter no longer appeals to me. So less layering and more electricity is the way I am headed.

Back to your question about riding pants.

I have a 'Stich, but there are othe products on the market that will serve as well. The argument over which apparel is best is endless, so one has to think in terms of function, riding style and needs -- and not to forget, total budget. BMW, IMHO, has priced itself out of the mainstream market with its $1,000 plus riding suits. And FWIW, I bought my 'Stich from the previous owner, "as new" for half of what it cost off the shelf.

If I were starting over today, I would opt for something in a versatile, belted, waterproof pant, with a decent 3/4 length jacket.

The new Competition Accessories catalogue came yesterday, and there is a pretty good deal on the back page. The color schemes in what is available now means you can mix and match manufacturers to get the features and fit that you really want.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

I would stay away from Competition Accessories. A lot of people, including myself, have had some dealings with them that were shady around every corner. Just my $.02 worth.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

Competition Accessories?

I've not bought truckloads of stuff ... just a battery tender, gloves, and a few other things. But I've never had a problem with them.

Two weekends ago, a friend and I went riding and I commented on his Joe Rocket riding pants. He bought them at Competion Accessories and did not have problems.

Another local acquaintance bought a leather jacket from them (something I would never purchase mail order) and he is well satisfied.

I work in retail, and a much as we hate to see it happen, an occasional screw up is both inevitable and unavoidable.

They have decent product line. Hopefully, if they have been through a rough period, they will stand good and recoup.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

MT State of mind
    I have a Motoport jacket. I'd call the quality medium - one of the snaps came off, that holds the liner in at the cuff, and the collar rubbed my neck on a long trip last year, but it is a removable piece and it is now covered with better material. I wear it on long road trips, not around town, so maybe 6 times a year. I wish it had a hood for under the helmet, keeping the rain from running down my neck. It fits pretty well and I like the venting, with take-up straps so the vents can be open but the arms don't flap. For the price (I think I paid less than $200) it is great, but if I were wearing it more often I'd probably be willing to spend a little more and get the next level up in quality.

I have a pair of First gear riding pants for sale,check out the IBMWR For Sale section.

Good luck finding what you want.

I just got Belstaff Pioneer pants and I am pleased beyond words with them except in one area- they are difficult to put on/take off over boots, as the only accomodation for such is a zipper that allows the bottom 12" or so to open into a wide flare. Even tougher with the liner in place! The knee armour seems to be the main culprit, and part of it may have to do with my big bulky size 12 hiking boots that I ride in. But they do stay quite warm and are designed with a high degree of intelligence. The Discovery jacket is now on my list.
    About the thing regarding Airheads being better than K's in the winter, I'm not sure I agree. But it may depend on which K you have. I had a K100RT and its fairing extended all the way to mid-foot. Better still was the fact that I could remove the kneepads and enjoy more heat than I knew what to do with. I was even contemplating rigging up a 2- or 3-inch flexible hose and small computer-type fan from behind the radiator to plug into my jacket for active heat delivery. I've also heard that Baker-Built AirWings make the K-RT even better in all seasons since they can be positioned to either deflect or direct the airflow.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I have the Cordura II pants and like them but have two gripes:

1. They require the liner to be waterproof. The pants themselves are water resistant but aren't made to go beyond a few minutes. Not a problem in the winter if you're wearing the liners on a regular basis, though.

2. The liners (at least on mine) have the open-zipper in what seems to be the wrong direction with respect to the pants. With the pants, you fasten them at the waist and then zip down to close them.

With the liner, for the one open leg, you have to fasten it at the cuff and then zip up to close. This means that you have to fasten the pants at the waist to hold them on, zip down slightly, fasten the liner at the cuff, zip up to the pants zipper, take it down slightly to be able to bring the liner zipper all the way up.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, except for this annoyance, they are easy to put on over clothes, very warm, can be sealed for wind, and are a good value.

hth
    '88 K100RS ABS

FirstGear S.T.O.P. pants

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of FirstGear Sport Touring Overpants (which FirstGear curiously abbreviates to "STOP" -- bad acronym). I've been very happy with them, in fact even happier than I expected to be. They're all leather with a soft nylon taffeta liner, styled like a pair of jeans (with all the usual pockets), and I've found them comfortable enough for everyday wear. I hadn't planned on that; originally I planned to wear them when I ride to the office and change once there, but on the first day I thought I'd see how comfortable they would be to wear by themselves, and that's what I've been doing since. Because they're all-black, and because they're styled like regular pants, a lot of people don't even seem to notice they're leather, they look like a pair of regular pants. The ones that do notice usually look twice, then it pops in their mind, "Oh, that's right, you ride a motorcycle." They certainly do not scream "biker garb" as do most motorcycle pants.

Changing in and out of them is no problem: A zipper runs all the way up the side of each leg. Putting them on and off over motocross boots with knee guards is no problem. They come with minimal padding, but with pockets for slip-in pads and sewn-in Velcro patches so pads can be re-positioned.

All in all I've been very happy with these. I like having a pair of true leather riding pants that I don't feel I have to change out of anytime I arrive someplace. For $269 (at CycleGear) they're some of the best money I've ever spent on riding apparel -- highly recommended.
    DesertRider in sunny Arizona, USA

For what it's worth, I got these Firstgear "Sheltex" pants and love them!! I rode with them to the Hill Country here in Texas when the temperature was in the low thirtys and felt great in them. Even though I ride a RT with good wind protection, I'd bet they would be great on any bike. I bought them at the BMW dealer in Hurst, TX and they told me that they were very popular with the local police because of the good protection.

I'm a FirstGear fan. I'll have to check out their pants. I'm afraid I fall into the jeans-wearers ... Bad habit. I need to break that.

You're talkin to a guy that only wears jeans so I share your pain. For a compromise, I highly recommend Draggin Jeans. These are designed for riding so they have Kevlar?« linings in the knees and butt area. The big protection is for sliding accross the pavement though no substitute for good padding from armor with proper pants. Draggin Jeans come in every waist and length imaginable and really work as far as abrasion. Cost is around $79 www.dragginjeans.com . . .and no I don't work for them.

rojam

Riding Pants

Look at the Belstaff Discovery.

The jacket is great and if they can fit you, the pants also. I had to go over the Joe Rocket goretex lined pants as I am larger than Belstaff thinks in pants.

I like the removable liners in jacket and pants. It allows you to modify what you are wearing.

On the other hand, I also am a firm believer in Gerbing! I use it in place of the Discovery liner when its cold, with it. This allows me to not feel like "Pilsbury Dough Boy", as mentioned above. I hate that......can't move on the bike. Can't feel the bike below me.

One asset of heavy multiple layers......If you crash, you'll bounce down the road!

Gary99
    I have the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and matching pants, and think they are a very good buy for the protection offered. I have a full set of Gerbings, but my benchmark is 40 degrees and up I don't need them. I wear a set of polypro long johns, street clothes, and the First Gear suit over that, and it has to get pretty cool to need anything else. Just my .02?ó.