• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Swimming at Rally-Speeding in WI

Allow me to make a few closing remarks about our neighboring state to the south.

After having made thousands of traffic stops involving hundreds of IL drivers over my 32+ years in law enforcement, some observations if you will.

1) Most IL drivers, though almost universal in their "need for speed," were polite and remorseful once I pulled them over.

2) The politics of the Windy City ("Vote early and vote often!") do not impress us simple, WI folk - translation: it doesn't matter how many 'tourism dollars' you spend here - it doesn't 'buy' you any slack with regard to traffic laws. Bring your MasterCard.

3) With a total population in WI smaller than most major cities in the USA, we just aren't in a hurry to get anywhere here - it's more about the ride than the destination, essentially the 'mantra' of owning a BMW.

So, Welcome to all visitors! Enjoy the beauty and hospitality of Wisconsin, but respect our laws. They keep us all safe.

Ride Alert!

I love to hear a Wisconsinite say the word Sheboygan.

This reminds me of newspaper article that I read a few years back. A Chicago lady was stopped in Racine I believe 15 over on I 94. She complained and whined so much about her ticket that, and stated that LEO where targeting people form out of state. So some important state person stated to look into how the LEO personal was conducting traffic stops. During this investigation they all so looked into this person driving record. This person had a few speeding tickets in IL for what? For what, breaking the speed limit. After looking into this person driving record her story did not hold any water because of her driving record for having a lead foot. Now she lived in the Chicago area were people will give you the road rage stare if you are not doing 80mph on the I 294 and if I am correct that is mostly 55mph zone except in the construction zone or stop and go traffic. Now if you want to drive like an idiot in WI sooner or later your going to get a ticket that is a fact, but this also true in most states.

I think you are referring to a woman who worked for the Chicago Tribune and was stopped for speeding in Racine. This woman apparently wrote an article claiming that Racine County targeted drivers with Illinois license plates. After much hooplah she eventually pled to an amended charge in which she acknowledged that she had been speeding. Frankly, in 12 years of practicing law, a significant portion of which is traffic law, I have not seen anything which leads me to believe that the Racine Sheriff's Department or the Wisconsin State Patrol are targeting Illinois (or other out of state) drivers.

There are also very good reasons why there is enhanced enforcement in this area. Over the last 3-4 years there have been spectacular high speed fatal crashes in Racine County. On one occassion one or more of the cars involved burst into flames. On another occassion an off duty Racine County Sheriff's deputy was killed. Because of this the local LEO's have been instructed to crack down on speeding. Cause and effect.
I agree with you... drive like an ass and chances are that you will be caught and have to pay.

As a 'recovering Ohioan' still in culture shock after moving here in 1991, I can offer a different perspective from our Sheboygan LEO contributor.

I am virtually always 10 mph over the posted limit (NOT school zones! NOT congested areas!). I am also virtually always ignored when doing so. The only time I was not was when a very young Sheboygan County deputy decided that, while the gooseneck-hauling dually and the Grand Cherokee ahead of me were perfectly safe at 74.9 mph on I-43, I, in my Audi 200 Quattro at 75.0, was not. At least, he claimed that they were going slower than I, even though I'd followed them at exactly the same distance (with my cruise control on) since the Hwy 57 split south of Port Washington. :rolleyes

Know that I-43 is three things. It is the biggest damn road up through eastern Wisconsin, so the local LEOs have little else to do but microwave it. As a consequence, it is where all the out of state drivers travel, so of course, many of them get stopped out there at least in part because the prevailing flow of traffic isn't the 80 mph you can easily get away with in Cook County, IL. Finally, it is also a 'drug interdiction' route. As virtually the only way drugs flow from Chicago & Milwaukee to Green Bay, the Manitowoc and Sheboygan county LEOs delight in stopping 'suspect vehicles' for almost any reason on I-43 between Manitowoc and Sheboygan. A loud muffler might get you a body cavity search, especially if your license plate happens to read "UZI 9MM" (Yup; honest-to-God, I saw that one - pulled over in Sheboygan County).

Wisconsin is not a 'full disclosure' state like Ohio, which at least requires some markings on patrol cars doing traffic stops. They use completely unmarked cars and they have been known (at least in Sheboygan County) to resort to the use of such things as a nondescript old Dodge Omni to stop and cite bikers headed to the races at Road America. As for the threat of aircraft, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. Two years ago, Wisconsin only had one airplane doing traffic duty - and we sold it. :huh The pavement markings are still around, but the airplane isn't.

The last thing to bear in mind is that, if you do have a forfeiture (most traffic matters are noncriminal for a number of prosecution-favorable and revenue-friendly reasons) to pay, it will probably shock you. While our quoted 'fines' are very reasonable, the additional fees and court costs border on the obscene. The only thing under $100 is a ($20) seatbelt violation. Everything else begins at $122 - and that's a (state charge) parking violation. The smallest forfeiture for speed is $193. The only upside to this is that Wisconsin is one of only two states east of the Mississippi that is not a member of the Interstate Violators Compact, so it is possible that any violations sustained here won't show up in your home state's records - unless your state happens to be adjacent to Wisconsin.

If you have a serious traffic matter while in Wisconsin, feel free to call my cell number at 920-AHA-YODA. I am primarily a bankruptcy lawyer, but I know traffic law, I'm an incurable motorhead, and a new Airhead rider. If I cannot help you directly, I will know who can.

If you have a serious traffic matter while in Wisconsin, feel free to call my cell number at 920-AHA-YODA. I am primarily a bankruptcy lawyer, but I know traffic law, I'm an incurable motorhead, and a new Airhead rider. If I cannot help you directly, I will know who can.

Or just PM me as I can help you directly :wave

swimming (not speeding)

Checkout Pike lake

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/pikelake/

Not too far from the ralley site, a very nice ride into the Kettle Moraine.

Nice swimming hole tucked into some great roads.

Oh, for speeding, when entering villages pay attention to the speed reduction signs, they can go from 50 to 25 very fast. Also, on the interstates, 22 mph over is too fast. buy me a beer and I'll tell you about it.

Back