• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gas availability

aaaaaa

On the way west after the rally I'll be in southern montana to try thr Bear tooth highway. Are ther any stretchs longer than the 200 or so I get between gas stops?
thanks, robert

The system I try to use off the slab out west is to not pass a station if I have less than 100 miles range left. That's pretty conservative, but there are lots of places where gas is 50-80 miles apart. There are also "towns" on the map that aren't there anymore and towns with no gas.

I've been on that route, at least from Cody to the NE gate of Yellowstone and had no problem getting gas. Actually never a problem anywhere. We always filled up if there was gas available regardless of how much was in the tanks.

gas availabiliy

Robert:

If you're planning on any travel just north of the Beartooth, The Mid Continent Fuel Gap is an area in which you want to be careful with fuel management, and is bounded by Big Timber and Harlowton on the east, and White Sulphur Springs and Great Falls on the west. Neihart and Monarch have gas, but Neihart only has regular and I'm not sure if Monarch has premium. I don't go into the Gap without full fuel; we've had two close calls with fuel starvation in there.

In the immediate Beartooth area, there's gas at Cody, Red Lodge, Cooke City, so no problem.

When I bought my new oiler two years ago, the first thing I did, in anticipation of touring in Montana, was get an opinion from BMW Canada on whether I could burn low octane (85) gas for short distances. They said no problem.

Rinty

Last edited:
Traveling out west you need to watch the time of the day. Many smaller stations close early and open late. Then there is that ethanol problem. Will your bike run on it?

JON

Fuel around Bear Tooth

No worries about fuel when riding Bear Tooth Pass. Fuel up in Cody, and DON'T MISS Wyoming SR-296 that leads to US-212 going up the pass towards Red Lodge. It is an *outstanding* road.

Fuel up again in Red Lodge. Repeat Bear Tooth Pass if you're headed via Yellowstone. (Road are different rides as you ride each way!)

Next tip is: If it looks as if the top of Bear Tooth is "in weather" with clouds, slip on a jacket or even a rain jacket at the intersection of SR-296 and US-212. It can be cold any time of year at 10,900+ feet, and there aren't lay-bys every 100 feet on the way up.

Ride well,
Stopwatch

No worries about fuel when riding Bear Tooth Pass. Fuel up in Cody, and DON'T MISS Wyoming SR-296 that leads to US-212 going up the pass towards Red Lodge. It is an *outstanding* road.

Fuel up again in Red Lodge. Repeat Bear Tooth Pass if you're headed via Yellowstone. (Road are different rides as you ride each way!)

Next tip is: If it looks as if the top of Bear Tooth is "in weather" with clouds, slip on a jacket or even a rain jacket at the intersection of SR-296 and US-212. It can be cold any time of year at 10,900+ feet, and there aren't lay-bys every 100 feet on the way up.

Ride well,
Stopwatch

I just had to add...every road is a different ride, going the other way!:stick

Keep the rubber side down!
Len

Cutting across outback South Dakota I ran into headwinds and was in trouble with fuel. Crossing a reservation I saw a sign that said 'GAS' no octane rating or alcohol content shown. Whatever it was my R1200R had no trouble burning it and I didn't have to walk.

I've ridden with people that won't put regular in their bike when premium isn't available, and risk walking. Naturally depending on the people their riding with to get gas if they run out.
:banghead

I've ridden with people that won't put regular in their bike when premium isn't available, and risk walking. Naturally depending on the people their riding with to get gas if they run out.
:banghead

You need to be a little more picky on who you ride with :)

Heavens to Betsy. I live here and have been riding around willy-nilly, completely unaware of the danger I was in of running out of gas in the vast, barren gaps between the sparse fuel points. Well now at least I know. :banghead

It's not Montana but not too far away. I made a little photo at the Nevada/Utah border looking to the east which emphasizes the fuel issue:

IMG_1594.jpg

It's not Montana but not too far away. I made a little photo at the Nevada/Utah border looking to the east which emphasizes the fuel issue:

View attachment 62252

That is not unusual in the vast west. TX hwy 118 runs past my house. It is 80 miles between gas in Alpine and gas in Study Butte.

Roswell, NM to Vaughn, NM is 96 miles between gas stations. Again, not unusual at all.

For folks from more urban or congested areas it takes getting used to.

p.s. I keep gas at the house for those who miscalculate. Always a few times a year. :)

Ely, NV to Tonopah, NV. 167 miles with no fuel. And no, there is no gas--or anything else--at Warm Springs, even tho it is an intersection of two important highways. Used to be able to get a top-up at Black Rock Station, but it is also closed/gone.

Unless you are carrying aux fuel, it's always a good idea when traveling in the west to work in the top half of your tank.
Best,
DG

View attachment 62252

I'm going to be using this road coming from, and going to, Los Angeles. I've been wondering if I should get a bottle for extra fuel (even a liter and a half should be good for 15 miles).

Then again, I can just be conservative in filling up. I should be able to get 300+ miles on a tank full in the RT.

Riding out west I never missed an opportunity to fill up.
Same when going through British Columbia and the Yukon, you just get gas when you can as sometimes an entire town can be out of fuel up there too.. :ca

You really can't depend of your gas mileage when traveling through the vast nothing (it does have it's own kind of beauty). Running into a 35/40 MPH head wind can do some nasty things to your MPG. Best to be careful, take a break, hydrate and fill up at half a tank.
:wave
IMG_0548_zpsts2qvssc.jpg

I'm going to be using this road coming from, and going to, Los Angeles. I've been wondering if I should get a bottle for extra fuel (even a liter and a half should be good for 15 miles).

Then again, I can just be conservative in filling up. I should be able to get 300+ miles on a tank full in the RT.

On an RT or any other bike with 200+ mile range, you won't need a bottle. Carry more water instead. When someone runs out of fuel in the west it is generally not so much a fuel availability problem as a fuel management problem. Manage wisely, and keep in mind that it takes less time to stop and fuel when you "don't need it" than to get roadside assistance when you do.
;)
Best,
DG

Y'all are scaring me:uhoh

Never miss an opportunity to pee or fill up ...whichever comes first, do both:laugh:laugh:laugh

I'm such a renegade, I fill up on my sidestand as well when out in the wide open.

Back