• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

Have made it back from...

More details and pictures to follow

I just rolled in today mice elf...

My list:

Braintree to St. John
St. John to Larry's River
South Coast in the salty fog
Ride to Amherst in the rain
Sunrise Trail
Camping at Wycocomagh
Camping at Meat Cove
Rest of Cabot Trail
Ride to Truro, NS
Ferry to Deer Island
Ferry to Eastport
Ride to Acadia NP
Ride to resort town of Braintree

2550 miles, 4103 kilometers, 8 days

An Adventure For The Rest Of Us!

Tom,

Nice on mileage - you beat me out.

I had 2083 miles. Will have to see what Steve clocked.

$187.54 in gas receipts for about 11 cents a mile. But that is after liters to gallons and Canadian dollars to American dollars. Will not swear to all the conversions. :brow

But that does not cover the replacement battery. One morning the GS battery mysteriously died - dead - no voltage. But luckily the battery died in Larry's River and not Meat Cove. Nearest battery was 52 miles away off we went to Antigonish. $113 Canadian for a fully charged replacement. Battery had Honda stamped on side but 12 volts is 12 volts and battery was exactly the same size. Touringo found the replacement. Nothing like shade tree mechanics.

Lots of great memories including meeting Beemer folk from Miami on the CAT ferry and watching whales off the port side of the ferry on way to Portland, Maine.

Last edited:

Glad you guys had a good time. Wish I could have been there with you.

There is always next year for the bigger and better Salty Fog II. Meat Cove is a great destination with guaranteed adventure but done without hardship or danger.

An adventure for the rest of us. :bikes

Last edited:
But luckily the battery died in Larry's River and not Meat Cove.

Yeah! Talk about end of the earth! Spectacular place though!

I met up with my Vstrom riding partners in Amherst on Sunday and we were the only bikes at Meat Cove until a couple from Ontario arrived on a 1200GS and 650GS. They had the kitchen sink packed on those two rides!

Sorry I missed you on Monday, assuming you were there Monday. We arrived about 1530 ADT and that was the end of the rain for the trip.

A few pictures from the campsite at Meat Cove:

dsc00817uw0.jpg

dsc00818kd1.jpg

dsc00812qj1.jpg

One of my favorite pictures

0823SaltyFog1662.jpg

We got the fire going after a real team effort. Then we sat down to enjoy the heat and ...

The rain started and a real frog strangler it was. The little mysterious lights might be droplets of water on the lens.

Last edited:
TomMcGee sings for his supper

Touringo hauled new bedding up to Larry's River. The homestead there is being rebuilt after being gutted to the outside walls.

Here Touringo and TomMcGee are hard at work.

0823SaltyFog0832.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorite pictures

0823SaltyFog1662.jpg

We got the fire going after a real team effort. Then we sat down to enjoy the heat and ...

The rain started and a real frog strangler it was. The little mysterious lights might be droplets of water on the lens.

...note that just inches from the fire is a cliff of great significance.....

...note that just inches from the fire is a cliff of great significance.....

When did you folks get to Meat Cove? Must have been Sunday? Hard to tell, but might have been the same campsite we had Monday night. Do we have you to thank for the leftover firewood?

The adjacent cliff:

dsc00814ks3.jpg

When did you folks get to Meat Cove? Must have been Sunday? Hard to tell, but might have been the same campsite we had Monday night. Do we have you to thank for the leftover firewood?

The adjacent cliff:

dsc00814ks3.jpg

...uh....ya, that's right. Knew ya'll woulda been more needy than us so, I said, let's leave some embers for that V-Strom crowd....... all they got to do is blow the ashes a bit.... Glad you had a great visit to the edge of the earth. We'll do this again. -Bob

You won't see this picture in any cycle magazine!

You won't see this picture in any cycle magazine!

PushHarley.jpg

Going into Canada had to wait in line at customs. The line moved slowly. Instead of starting engine, pillion gave a push to move things along.

Last edited:
I'm Back

Tom,

Nice on mileage - you beat me out.

I had 2083 miles. Will have to see what Steve clocked.

$187.54 in gas receipts for about 11 cents a mile. But that is after liters to gallons and Canadian dollars to American dollars. Will not swear to all the conversions. :brow
I got back from Maine yesterday. I ended up having battery problems as well. I ended up at 2269 or something for mileage. I haven't tallied up my gas receipts yet. I am working on my ride report for my blog and I will post the highlights in the Readers Ride section. Lots happened after I left you folks in Halifax. Special thanks to Bob and Mary for putting me up a couple nights. They were fantastic hosts. It was great meeting them and Paul. It was great meeting Ron too and he can really keel that GS over in the turns! :thumb

Special thanks to Bob and Mary for putting me up a couple nights. They were fantastic hosts. It was great meeting them and Paul. It was great meeting Ron too and he can really keel that GS over in the turns! :thumb

Sorry I missed you and the rest of the group. It's such a beautiful part of the world.

I got back from Maine yesterday. I ended up having battery problems as well. I ended up at 2269 or something for mileage. I haven't tallied up my gas receipts yet. I am working on my ride report for my blog and I will post the highlights in the Readers Ride section. Lots happened after I left you folks in Halifax. Special thanks to Bob and Mary for putting me up a couple nights. They were fantastic hosts. It was great meeting them and Paul. It was great meeting Ron too and he can really keel that GS over in the turns! :thumb

Glad you're back safe. What a wonderful time we had! We look forward to seeing the pictures that you took. Between you and Paul we all will be able to enjoy the trip over again. (what happened to the battery and where?) -Bob

Another dead battery?

Maybe there is something to this Salty Fog business. Next year we will have to find an exorcist to banish the battery demons.

No refund or rebate on mine. Even though bike is under warranty battery is only covered for one year.

0823SaltyFog2602.jpg

A few more pictures of the Salty Fog gathering. In spite of Fog and assorted weather patterns thrust upon us, a great time was had by all. Although working with some old technology here (which Paul is helping to nudge us from), the following are a few of our contributions. Next year..... -Bob and Mary

Attachments

• Ron, Steve, Paul and Bob in Baddeck.JPG
    Ron, Steve, Paul and Bob in Baddeck.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 78
Paul, Bob and Tom getting into some refried beans and other assorted items at Larrys River.

Attachments

• Paul, Bob and Tom at Larry`s River, Nova Scotia-1.JPG
    Paul, Bob and Tom at Larry`s River, Nova Scotia-1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Ron, Paul, Bob and Steve preparing for the decent into Meat Cove, Cape Breton Island.

Attachments

• Ron, Paul, Bob and Steve entering Meat Cove.JPG
    Ron, Paul, Bob and Steve entering Meat Cove.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 77
Back