Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

mrich12000

Arrow Re check fuel costing

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    OUCH!

Just crunched the numbers using Streets and Trips. From Ballston Spa, NY to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1264 miles one way or 19 hours in the saddle.

Gas one way is $81.

Scenic Maine with all its rock piles and pine trees gets better all the time.

From Bristol, RI to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1073 Miles with estimated riding time of 17 hrs and 34 minutes. Looks like a perfect day for an Iron Butt rider. Just to Halifax the distance is 759 miles. Bristol now added to post #13 in this thread.

Gas one way to Meat Cove estimated to be $73.

Inputs were were 45 mpg and $2.90 a gallon for gas.
    Better check that calculation again last year the price of prem was
    123'9 per liter at wreck cove Irvine, and we have just starting to recover from 2 major oil refinery fires Esso, Shell Montreal. Ask Red Rider what the current fuel price is in Montreal? Just my two cents
    and the fuel price in Oshawa is @ 99'4 per liter, so check the fuel cost by calling Irving fuels, New Brunswick,Nova scotia, listed here for the members
    http://www.newbrunswickgasprices.com/index.aspx
    http://www.halifaxgasprices.com/
    I may cancell out of the planned Montreal ride and attened this great rally,As I have somewhere to stay in Louisburg.N.S

Michael Rich
    Ve3CEH

Up the Revolution; "Give Back Maine"

mrich12000

Arrow Re check fuel costing

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    OUCH!

Just crunched the numbers using Streets and Trips. From Ballston Spa, NY to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1264 miles one way or 19 hours in the saddle.

Gas one way is $81.

Scenic Maine with all its rock piles and pine trees gets better all the time.

From Bristol, RI to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1073 Miles with estimated riding time of 17 hrs and 34 minutes. Looks like a perfect day for an Iron Butt rider. Just to Halifax the distance is 759 miles. Bristol now added to post #13 in this thread.

Gas one way to Meat Cove estimated to be $73.

Inputs were were 45 mpg and $2.90 a gallon for gas.
    Better check that calculation again last year the price of prem was
    123'9 per liter at wreck cove Irvine, and we have just starting to recover from 2 major oil refinery fires Esso, Shell Montreal. Ask Red Rider what the current fuel price is in Montreal? Just my two cents
    and the fuel price in Oshawa is @ 99'4 per liter, so check the fuel cost by calling Irving fuels, New Brunswick,Nova scotia, listed here for the members
    http://www.newbrunswickgasprices.com/index.aspx
    http://www.halifaxgasprices.com/
    I may cancell out of the planned Montreal ride and attened this great rally,As I have somewhere to stay in Louisburg.N.S
    and I fogot to mention the new 104 toll booth 5 bucks to go over the new hiway pass.
    Michael Rich
    Ve3CEH

Up the Revolution; "Give Back Maine"

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    I would encourage any visitor to Nova Scotia to visit Fort Louisbourg http://www.louisbourg.ca/fort/ ... and related French history, follow the settlement of the Acadians here. Fascinating and sad history. Larry's River is one of the original Acadian fishing villages. Come and enjoy. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Gopheride
    Merci Touringo,merci beaucoup.

I love Nova Scotia, and have been there five(?) times on a bike. Wonderful place. I may try to go, if I'm able to. I like to eat dinner in Cheticamp at "The Harbor" restaurant that sits atop a cliff facing west overlooking the water. Fish so fresh and clean tasting, you can't believe it. On one trip, we had someone along who "didn't like fish" but was persuaded to order scallops and LOVED them.

The last time I was on the Meat Cove road (dirt) it was rainy and that made things a little exciting here and there.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

I drank the koolaid
    I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this...

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Pencil in August 17 for this rolling rally!

The most commonly seen marine mammals are the pilot whales, minke whales and harbour seal. Humpback whales and grey seals occasionally are seen. Three-quarters of Nova Scotia's breeding population of bald eagles occur on Cape Breton Island.
    Cape Breton Highlands National Park

Meat Cove

Meat Cove got its name from the abundance of game in the area back in the early 19th century. The community is still abundant in moose and draws in a number of hunters each year in the licensed hunt. It is also a haven for nature lovers and those who seek to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Meat Cove is known for its rare orchids and unique geographical features.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-27-2007 at 02:32 PM.

I have an urge to surge. FPARISI's Avatar
    Paul, this looks like a hell of a ride. Nice Job digging this up. You have just given me another dream ride to accomplish.

I grew up in Saratoga Springs, NY, but I haven't been to Nova Scotia since I was a kid.

FYI, I recall Fall like weather as early as mid August up there. Bring some warm gear.
    Frankie Bones
    R1100RT, Techlusion, Hyperlights, PIAA 80/80 & 004XT's w/EZMount, GIVI Top, Kisan PathBlazer, Vectra lights, Signal minder/Running lights, Tailblazer, Cee Bailey windshield, City lids w/Kugler Klamps, RTP rear plate, Feredo Brakes, Staintune, PIAA Horn, Smartire, Baehr intercom. Held Gear.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

O'Canada

Click Here

This new International rolling rally, the Salty Fog Rally will be held in Canada roughly August 17 - 19. Those attending this year will become members in the oldest Social Club in North America.

Proposed by Samuel de Champlain in the winter of 1606-07, this social club provided good food and good times for the men at the French colony of Port-Royal, known today as the Habitation. They hoped to improve their health and morale during the long winter.

Although the Order of Good Cheer was a great success, it was active only one winter. Two first-hand accounts describe the activities: Champlain wrote briefly on the Order while Marc Lescarbot, a lawyer who spent that winter at Port-Royal, provides more detail.
    Every few days, supper became a feast. On a rotating basis, everyone at the table was designated "Chief Steward." Marc Lescarbot reports:

This person had the duty of taking care that all around the table were well and honourably provided for. This was so well carried out that, though the epicures of Paris often tell us that we had no Rue aux Ours (this street, still in existence in Paris, was the street of the rotisseurs, or sellers of cooked meat). Over there, as a rule we made as good cheer as we could have in this same Rue aux Ours and at less cost. For there was no one who, two days before his turn came, failed to go hunting or fishing, and to bring back some delicacy in addition to our ordinary fare. So well was this carried out that never at breakfast did we lack some savoury meat of flesh or fish, and still less at our midday or evening meals; for that was our chief banquet, at which the ruler of the feast or chief butler, whom the savages called Atoctegic, having had everything prepared by the cook, marched in, napkin on shoulder, badge of office in hand, and around his neck the collar of the Order, ... after him all the members of the Order, carrying each a dish. The same was repeated at dessert, though not always with so much pomp. And at night, before giving thanks to God, he handed over to his successor in the charge the collar of the Order, with a cup of wine, and they drank to each other.

The men of the Order were those who dined together at Poutrincourt's table. They would have been key figures and/or at least congenial types with whom Sieur de Poutrincourt would care to dine. Thus the members of the Order of Good Cheer were likely prominent men in the colony. Membertou and Messamoet, Mi'kmaq chiefs in the area, were frequent guests.

Adding to the atmosphere and the air of festivity, Lescarbot writes, "we always had twenty or thirty savages, men, women, girls, and children, who looked on at our manner of service. Bread was given them gratis (free) as one would do to the poor."
    The rally will encamp at Larry's River and will tour the Cape Breton Highlands. There will be a campfire at night. Other details are being worked out.

For those that participate this year the Province of Nova Scotia will issue a certificate of membership in the Order of Good Times with your name imprinted. They certainly do things first class in Canada. Certificates will be presented at a "feast" held at "Poutrincourt's Table" which this year will be at Larry's River.

If you think you might attend leave your name here or PM me. Many more details to follow after the National Rally.

Touringo will be the Canadian Host

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-27-2007 at 02:37 PM.

... more information coming on this first little Nova Scotia gathering to be initiated on August 16th. For now, a possible logo (many thanks to Veg for the pic!) for this gathering . Comments? -Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Tempting

This is too tempting. Especially since I go around in a fog most of the time. I'm still in WI, but plan to add it to the calendar when I get home.

Holly

....now that most are back from a wonderful major rally experience, this fledgling little Salty Fog venture will begin to rise above an embryonic stage and we can start articulating its intended structure. Our old homestead in Larry's River will be a gathering place and the starting gate for a Cape Breton tour. Our little 150 yr old house continues its reconstruction however. Facilities are rustic at this point but food, drink and merrymaking (and possibly some 'kitchen party' music) are planned. The scenary is gorgeous (pictures will be forthcoming) and camping is available. As well, anyone who wants can 'bedroll' in the house. Should be fun. We will try and arrange a distillery visit, touring options (ie roads and places), travel info, historical info etc. While we will articulate the route to Meat Cove (camp) on the Cabot Trail and alternate return options, this can be discussed and modified by those attending.

This is a small idea which has grown (as devised and pushed forward by Paulbach) a bit more and maybe it can expand/develop into something greater. Stay tuned, as they say, for more information. -Bob and Mary
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Unhappy Out

Darn, I'm out. My 97 year old mother will not be able to return to her house, and my sisters have declared the week of Aug 13th as the week we clean the place out. So I will head from Trenton to Ottawa, with broom and dustpan strapped to the bike. Much, much rather be in NS.

Holly

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Darn, I'm out. My 97 year old mother will not be able to return to her house, and my sisters have declared the week of Aug 13th as the week we clean the place out. So I will head from Trenton to Ottawa, with broom and dustpan strapped to the bike. Much, much rather be in NS.

Holly
    ...life is like that. If you ever get the chance....come on along for a visit. PM me and we'll go from there. Many of us are confronting the same scenarios as you. May you discover many treasures as you "clean out the place". -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

.... maps, route, times and basic info coming very soon. A three night camping in three locations covering 550 miles is now prepared. Larry's River, Louisbourg and Meat Cove. Branch off to Newfoundland or Prince Edward Island or many other options. Stay tuned and hope you can join Paul, Mary and me in whole or in part. Weather update will be posted just before that August 18th week-end. -Bob (and PaulBach)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com