• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

PAULBACH

Highland Fling? There is really no official name yet. But there is a date - weekend of August 17 the third weekend of August. No date will be perfect but local wisdom indicates the weather starts to get challenging after August.

Save the date and more details will follow. Goal is to have 12 to 20 people for the inaugural event.

The first year we will learn what not to do.
The second year the rally will learn what not to do.
The third year will get it right.

Location - Cape Breton - Some of the best motorcycle riding in North America.
CapeBreton01.jpg

Activities - Ride to eat, eat to ride and tall tales around campfires.

A link to the general area around Meat Cove.

A new event may be added this year
CaberToss.jpg

Highland Fling? There is really no official name yet. But there is a date - weekend of August 17 the third weekend of August. No date will be perfect but local wisdom indicates the weather starts to get challenging after August.

Save the date and more details will follow. Goal is to have 12 to 20 people for the inaugural event.

The first year we will learn what not to do.
The second year the rally will learn what not to do.
The third year will get it right.

Location - Cape Breton - Some of the best motorcycle riding in North America.
CapeBreton01.jpg

Activities - Ride to eat, eat to ride and tall tales around campfires.

A link to the general area around Meat Cove.

A new event may be added this year
CaberToss.jpg

Paul,

The Hielan" Fling

Works for me.

I've got "The Devil in the Kitchen, Orange and Blue and The Braes of Tullymet" should you care to dance.

Breeze

A wee preview

Visit this link provided by StatDawg. It takes you to the Cabot Trail - Awe Inspiring In All Seasons. Great source of information.

When you come this is a wee bit of the landscape you will ride along. I would prefer to ride the opposite direction, so much the better for picture taking.

Attachments

• Cabot Motorcycles.jpg
    Cabot Motorcycles.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
yes...the Highland Fling International Motorcycle Rally (not a great acronym but...). So, who can build a little info website for this? www.highlandfling/...'...
Should be fun to both plan and do. -Bob

More details. This sounds like fun and something I can do. WOOHOO.

I can't get to Wisconsin, but this I should be able to make.

Brian

Nova Scotia Has Done the Heavy Lifting

More Details!

This link was originally posted by Touringo in the Meat Cove thread

It lists all the campsites in Nova Scotia from A to Z

And, this is the official Tourism Site for Nova Scotia

It's worth a visit to watch the beautiful pictures of Nova Scotia change.

Nova Scotia has done all the work in planning a trip.

Check out this link for free travel guides in Nova Scotia. including a motorcycle guide.

Touringo thanks for all the local knowledge. :clap

Other StatDawg finds which keeps track of all local and current festivals.

Check out the trails and events along Cape Breton's Highlands.

Last edited:
The Fling

Dawg
This June I'll be heading to the RA in Asheville, then I'll be in Venezuela plotting the overthrow of Hugo Chavez, you're welcome to come along. July brings the annual snipe hunt for Osama in Pakistan and the National in Mildcheddarland. August is training cruise to Caribbean just in case we decide to liberate Cuba again then to Nova Scotia for the Fling and on to the Finger Lakes......... A little planning goes a long way.

See you there.

Breeze
:jose

How far is it ...

1. Halifax from Albany, NY 860 Miles 1 Day 5 Hours
  2. Halifax from Alpine, TX 2985 Texas 5 Days 5 Hours
  3. Halifax from Boston, MA 700 Miles 1 Day 2 Hours
  4. Halifax from Bristol, RI is 759 miles 1 Day and 4 Hours
  5. Halifax from Burlington VT 744 Miles 1 Day 5 Hours
  6. Halifax from Chicago, IL 1674 Miles 3 Days 1 Hour
  7. Halifax from Cheshire, CT 818 Miles 1 day 5 hours
  8. Halifax from Meat Cove, NS 315 Miles 6 Hours
  9. Halifax from Napanee, ON 945 Miles 1 day 8 Hours
  10. Halifax from Montreal 747 Miles 1 Day 4 Hours
  11. Halifax from New York City 906 Miles 1 Day 6 Hours
  12. Halifax from Ottawa 867 Miles 1 Day 7 Hours
  13. Halifax from Portland, ME 590 Miles 1 Day 1 Hour
  14. Halifax from Quebec City 625 Miles 1 Day 2 Hours
  15. Halifax from Warwick, NY 924 Miles 1 Day 6 Hours
  16. Halifax from Washington, DC 1131 Miles 2 Days 2 Hours
  17. Halifax from West Bend, WI 1794 Miles 3 Days 2 Hours
  18. Halifax from Yarmouth, NS 189 Miles 3 Hours 31 Minutes
No Passports Required <-- Click here.
  • * Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
  • * As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

Distances calculated using Microsoft Streets and Trips

Try this link for discovering Nova Scotia: Coastal Discovery

Is there a faster way from the East Coast of the US? Yes indeed!
Take the ferry.
Approximate Crossing Times:
• Bar Harbor-Yarmouth: 3 hours
• Portland-Yarmouth: 5.5 hours
Advance reservations are strongly recommended.

Bar Harbor / Portland, Maine, to Yarmouth , Nova Scotia.
Daily service from Bar Harbour or Portland by "The Cat",
late May through October.
Reservations required and can be made online. <- Check it out

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
The Fling

Paul,
I'm leaning toward the Portland-Yarmouth Ferry option since the superslab through Maine is a bore IMHO. You could take the scenic route (as I have) but you end up behind every summer tourist driving 20 mph looking for a lobster pound. Once off he ferry, Yarmouth to Halifax is 190 miles. Halifax to Cheticamp (gateway to Breton Highlands) is 260mi. or so and then on to Meat Cove is say 40mi. with 8-10 mi. on dirt.
I'm good to go with all of this but others may wish to plan their time accordingly.

I like the fact that Meat Cove isn't on Map Quest.....my kind of place.

Breeze

... just keep in mind that we are also offering a 'base camp' or meeting place in Larry's River, Nova Scotia (check the NS map link that I posted on the Meat Cove thread. This will allow for some fun, food, information and organizing. We have enough camping space for this. Maps and general logistics will be forthcoming which will try and be in the best interest of all. -Bob

Larry's River

Larry's River looks good as well. I missed that post. I'm pretty hardy so I can sleep anywhere. I'm looking forward to some good nova scotia oysters on the half shell and a Moosehead.
Slainte

Breeze

... this pic is on the Meat Cove thread but I thought that I would post again. I took this picture last summer looking over at our Larry's River place. It really is as relaxing as it looks. Our house is on the left with the field rising behind it. Anyway, we would like to make a stopover here part of the overall plan. -Bob

Attachments

• LR Homestead and River2.jpg
    LR Homestead and River2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 173
Way to go!

Thank you! Nothing like local knowledge for plotting and scheming. :thumb

I think the ferry is a good way to go since one can save 25% and more by booking now. Should call tomorrow and be sure the Cat takes motorcycles.

Available on selected sailings and dates throughout the year, our Sail & Save Fares offer a savings of 25% off from standard passenger and vehicle rates. Sail & Save Fares are applicable to passenger and low vehicle to 20’ fare, one way or return booking, not combinable with other discounts including AAA/CAA and Big Crew Discounts.

Note: $25 modification, $100 cancellation at anytime, $150 no show fees apply.

For more information call 1.877.359.3760
(added after Touringo #20 to save space)

Thank you! Nothing like local knowledge for plotting and scheming. :thumb

I think the ferry is a good way to go since one can save 25% and more by booking now. Should call tomorrow and be sure the Cat takes motorcycles.

... last time I took it motorcycles were ok. Just watch the deck though..... wet is bad. I don't take it any more because it's so expensive (I can buy gas from here to San Francisco for what that costs....). Fun though. It would be good to know if an early booking gets a better price. -Bob

Date is marked. I would plan the 132 along the St lawrence to Riviere du Loup and head east from there. I have done the cat from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth and it costs. I would rather ride.....

the cat from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth and it costs.
Yes! About $75 and that just for the motorcycle.

Are those dates set in stone ?

The weekend before or a later date maybe better ? But lets avoid Labor Day which is the Finger Lakes Rally.

Are there conflicting rallies going on ?

Nothing is set in stone or even wet cement. Picking a date is always a no win situation. Conflicts are inevitable. Later than this date and the weather starts getting bad. And the present date coincides with a local folk festival.

Open to all suggestions.

Back