• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

A Whale of a Time

Come to the Salty Fog Rally and have a

Whale of a time

whale_tail.jpg

Whale2.jpg

Whale1.jpg

No other rally can show you such a big time.

Finback Whales, Minke Whales and Harbour Porpoises are the first to arrive in the spring. In June, the Humpbacks begin to return; by late June they are abundant, and White-sided Dolphins are often seen. By mid-July all five species are commonly sighted and usually remain until late fall.
LoveSaltyFog.jpg

Last edited:
Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site
Cape Breton's most famous resident, Alexander Graham Bell, once said, "I have traveled around ther globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland, but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all."
doers' & dreamers'
2007 GUIDE

Bellmuseumlocation.jpg

Bell.gif

Bell2.gif

Link to Historic Site

LarryRiverBaddeck.jpg

105 miles from Larry's River to Badeck; right on our route to Meat Cove about 2 hours riding

P.O. Box 159
Baddeck, Nova Scotia
Canada
B0E lB0
Tel:
902-295-2069
Fax:
902-295-3496

Next Stop - Louisbourg

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
It's a tragedy. I have a friend getting married that same weekend, and I'm in the wedding. I know, I need to work on my priorities, but the tux is already paid for! I guess I'll have to wait until NEXT year. :cry

About the Tides

There are approximately two high tides and two low tides within a 24-hour period in the Bay of Fundy. The time between a low tide and a high tide is about 6 hours and 13 minutes. Therefore visitors to the Fundy coast can realistically expect to see at least one high and one low tide during daylight hours.

Tide times also move ahead approximately one hour each day, and tide times vary for different locations around the Bay. One of the best ways to experience the full impression of the Bay of FundyÔÇÖs tides is to visit the same coastal location at high tide, then return about six hours later at low tide (or vice versa).
What is a tidal bore?

A tidal bore is a tidal phenomenon in which the leading edge of the incoming tide forms a wave (or waves) of water that travel up a river or against the direction of the current.

Bores occur in relatively few locations worldwide, usually in areas with a large tidal range such as the Bay of Fundy, and where incoming tides are funneled into a shallow, narrowing river via a broad bay. The funnel-like shape not only increases the height of the tide, but it can also decrease the duration of the flood tide down to a point where the flood appears as a sudden increase in the water level.

Ride the Tidal Bore

It is one thing to ride an HP2 though deserts, forests and mountain trails. But how many folks have ridden the Tidal Bore up the Bay of Fundy?

Check here to see how to ride the Wild Tide! <- Check it out

One place to book a ride.

What does it take to ride the tidal bore? Start with a Zodiac powered by 60hp 4 stroke Mariner outboards.
TidalBore.jpg

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
IWANTYOU.jpg

I Want Your Name
for the
Salty Fog Rally

If you have not already done so please post your name or PM your name to PaulBach. Both first and last names are need for the Government of Nova Scotia to create your certificate and to post your name in the logs of

Good_Times.jpg

The Order of Good Times

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

If you are in Canada there is no need to swing by Havana for Cuban cigars. Any good tobacco shop up there has them. I don't smoke but that wooden box looks fine.

CubanCigar.png

Last edited:
If you are in Canada there is no need to swing by Havana for Cuban cigars. Any good tobacco shop up there has them. I don't smoke but that wooden box looks fine.

CubanCigar.png

the one on the left and the one on the right are primo! However, never underestemate the quality of a Dominican. Really. Get a Connecticut wrapper (aka My Way) for a good smoke. BTW Statdawg...guns: why??? "This is my weapon, this is my gun........." -Bob

Fortress of Louisbourg​
The Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park is the crown jewel of the Canadian Park Service and the largest historical reconstruction in Canada. Fortress Louisbourg was built to protect France's interests in the new world and to serve as the centre of its massive seasonal fishing industry. Its location near the eastern tip of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia enabled it to serve not only as the capital of the new colony of Ile Royale but also to act as the first line of defense for France in its 18th century struggle against Great Britain for colonial supremacy in North America.

Link for Louisbourg

Louisbourg01-1.jpg

Louisburg02-1.jpg

Louisburg04-1.jpg

Louisburg03-1.jpg

"Et je d?®clare les Britanniques ?¬tre un tas de b?ótards de m?®tis. ... Vive La France"

Historical Quote, not mine. :dunno

LouisbourgMap.jpg

Last edited:
From the Yankee Beermer Website

A "DO NOT MISS" while on the Cabot trail is the Canadian National Historic Park museum in Baddeck, NS. This recognizes Alexander Graham Bell, who resided in Baddeck. He was a very prolific inventor, rather like Thomas Edison. His original hydrofoil is there, a monster that was clocked around the turn of the century at some godawful speed, something like 150 MPH, on adjacent Bras d'Or Lake. Awesome.

Thanks to Yankee Beemer Website​

Meat Cove​

Meat Cove is one of the most beautiful places on Cape Breton. The Cove is a challenging site to visit. it is 17 miles off the Cabot Trail, the last 3 miles are over a bumpy, dirt road. The dirt road comes to a dead end at the Meat Cove Campground, perched on a highland bluff overlooking the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

MeatCove.jpg

MeatCove02.jpg

Sunrise coming up from the Atlantic​

MeatCove03.jpg

The entire population of Meat Cove is probably less than 40 and most of them are members of the McClellan family, who have been living and fishing here for six generations. In fact, they own the campground.

Come join us! Can you think of a more scenic place to be? Recent research indicates Meat Cove edges out Gillette, Wyoming by a nose.

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
Those cigars need to be disposed of properly. No guns that was just a dig at all the people that asked that question over on another forum. I might bring a fly rod to lash the water with, how about a cod jigger that is one heck of a dual hook. Still not sure of my plans.

Is Newfie Screech or Big Dipper available there ? :wave

Newfoundland Screech of course but a few others as well. Most certainly come and dispose of some cigars in proper fashion. Cod might not be an easy catch.... but a few trout are upstream. Working on a possibility of getting a few interested folks out to sea on a local fishing/recreational boat....but we'll see..... not yet sure about that liability question on that one. BTW.... that guns thing is always hovering around.... usually laced with humor etc (but, there are times I wish....) Hope you can make it. We will be posting a cell phone link time for those looking to meet up along the path. -Bob

I got my ferry reservations made and am pumped! Why ferry? Want to spend more time in Nova Scotia. Besides this sea dog wants to see salt water from horizon to horizon.

Take a photo tour of the Cat. :dance

Cell phone service

I don't know if I'll meet any of you on this trip, but I will be in the area from Friday, August 17 until Thursday, August 23 when I hightail it back to Boston via CAT.

I've got a ride already scheduled with a friend, but I could always meet him a day later than planned and possibly join this group at Larry's River for a short time. I need to work this out.

Anyway, in my trip prep, I looked into cell phone coverage. Another friend came back from Nova Scotia 10 days ago and he reports that Verizon has good coverage, except for the lack of data service. For me, I contacted Sprint and this is what they said about "the Canada":

"Yes, the PCS Phone would definitely work in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton Island in Canada. Please know that the Canada is an international location, therefore, it is not covered under your service plan. The account would be billed at the default rate of $0.59/minutes for Canada Roaming.

However, you can opt for the following plan so that the default rate would be reduced to $0.20/minute.

$2.99 Canada Roaming Option

You are requested to write back to me if you wish to add the above mentioned option to the account. Please let me know if you have further questions. "

-Tom (DL650-ABS K7)

"Catching a bee in your helmet at seventy miles per hour will double your vocabulary.." -Unknown

Cell Note

I don't know if I'll meet any of you on this trip, but I will be in the area from Friday, August 17 until Thursday, August 23 when I hightail it back to Boston via CAT.

I've got a ride already scheduled with a friend, but I could always meet him a day later than planned and possibly join this group at Larry's River for a short time. I need to work this out.

Anyway, in my trip prep, I looked into cell phone coverage. Another friend came back from Nova Scotia 10 days ago and he reports that Verizon has good coverage, except for the lack of data service. For me, I contacted Sprint and this is what they said about "the Canada":

"Yes, the PCS Phone would definitely work in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton Island in Canada. Please know that the Canada is an international location, therefore, it is not covered under your service plan. The account would be billed at the default rate of $0.59/minutes for Canada Roaming.

However, you can opt for the following plan so that the default rate would be reduced to $0.20/minute.

$2.99 Canada Roaming Option

You are requested to write back to me if you wish to add the above mentioned option to the account. Please let me know if you have further questions. "

-Tom (DL650-ABS K7)

"Catching a bee in your helmet at seventy miles per hour will double your vocabulary.." -Unknown

.... there are pockets in the Province (like everywhere) where the cell will not have a signal. Larry's River is one such place. Although, it is only about a ten mile radius. We will be posting a cell number or two for 'on the road contacts' plus a land line in Larry's River for the 17/18th. -Bob (a local rep for The Canada)

28,000 at a rally? :brow That's fine, interesting and just plain wonderful!

But it is not the

restinginNS.jpg
Salty Fog Rally

Join us for something more laid back!

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
Back